Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:59 AM

195 posts, read 273,925 times

Advertisements

Trying to look into fixing my irrigation system myself, but I don’t understand much yet. It’s a desert scape drip system that is 20 years old now

I have a leaking poly tube somewhere in back yard. I turned off the water valve for the irrigation system (if that’s what it is...next to house water shut off) but the yard is still wet weeks after. I have a huge area that is constantly wet.

What does this mean since water is off? Or am I misunderstanding that valve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,093,697 times
Either you didn't find the correct valve, or that valve is bad.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Either you didn't find the correct valve, or that valve is bad.
I just went outside turned the valve back on and water began spraying in the front yard irrigation...weird!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
I just went outside turned the valve back on and water began spraying in the front yard irrigation...weird!
If it is on a timer, it could be that, that zone was set to come on. Switch the timer to off, and see if that zone shuts down.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:03 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,863 times
Shut the value and then look at the water meter. If no one is using water in the house and the meter is still spinning, then you have a valve that leaks in addition to the sprinkler system that is leaking.

Are your water bills higher than what they used to be?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM

The irrigation timer is OFF. I turned it off weeks ago to see if that would help stop it leaking, but didn't make a difference.

Water bill isn't crazy, $30/mo...shows 4k gallons a month usage.

What else would run through a back yard that would leak?
EDIT: My neighbor has a pool that is on the same side as where my yard is wet...could it be possible her pool is leaking somehow? I guess if my understanding is that when my irrigation valve is OFF, there should be no water at all coming out, which means that unless the valve is bad (which I don't think it is), water is coming from somewhere else that is not my irrigation.

Also the fact my water usage is 4k/gal month year around, tells me I cant be leaking much.

Last edited by ps2cho; 03-11-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
The irrigation timer is OFF. I turned it off weeks ago to see if that would help stop it leaking, but didn't make a difference.

Water bill isn't crazy, $30/mo...shows 4k gallons a month usage.

What else would run through a back yard that would leak?
EDIT: My neighbor has a pool that is on the same side as where my yard is wet...could it be possible her pool is leaking somehow? I guess if my understanding is that when my irrigation valve is OFF, there should be no water at all coming out, which means that unless the valve is bad (which I don't think it is), water is coming from somewhere else that is not my irrigation.

Also the fact my water usage is 4k/gal month year around, tells me I cant be leaking much.
Absolutely, I think you are on to something.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,077 times
On the topic of drip. I was a Rutger's Master Gardener for a number of years. Saw one of these systems in use on the State farm. I was told animals (mice, ect.) will chew into the line to get water. I would start by looking for issues such as that. Not to mention the fact I can't see thin plastic holding up in the sun for 20+ years.

Suggest you do your homework before getting in too deep. Keep in mind irrigation needs may have changed in all these years. May be best to just start fresh.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Shut the value and then look at the water meter. If no one is using water in the house and the meter is still spinning, then you have a valve that leaks in addition to the sprinkler system that is leaking.

Are your water bills higher than what they used to be?
Yes, do this. Most water meters have a low flow or leak indicator such as the ones indicated on these photos, the triangles, sometimes they will be flower shaped. If they are moving at all, and all water valves are turned off, it means you have a leak in the lines leading up to these various valves.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 PM

wanted to update:

Got a plumber out today -- they said over the phone they were capable, but I disagree. They stated that the drip system leak in the FRONT YARD (system ON) is the problem. I tried to ask how the front was the issue, when its wet in the BACK YARD, with the SYSTEM OFF. They kept saying well first step is front yard.

Sent them away and thought more.

Tomorrow I am going to CUT the pipe after the drip system water valve. If water comes out, valve is bad. If no water comes out, its 100% NOT my drip system. Is my logic sound? I can completely eliminate the drip system by doing this if my logic is in fact correct.

Not throwing $500-$1000 for them to fix my drip system tubing to find out its not even coming from my drip system in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden