Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 01:59 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

I recently (mid-April) ordered 4500 sq ft of Zoysia sod (plus 5 cubic yards of organic topsoil and a bag of fertilizer) from a sod company. The sod was delivered, and my wife and sons and I installed the sod over a 2-day weekend, following all of the sod company's instructions. I realize that Zoysia sod is dormant in my part of the country in April (still mid-70's for temperatures), so I expected the sod to be brown for a few weeks until the weather got warmer.

After 3 weeks of watering and a good warmup of temperatures (mid-80's), the sod remained brown, so I contacted the sod company for advice. They recommended that I should give the sod another week or two to green up.

Two weeks later (5 weeks total, with continued watering and a number of rainy days) a majority of the sod was still brown. There were some pieces that were nice and green (maybe 200-300 sq ft), but the majority was splotchy brown or all brown. I called the sod company and they admitted that my sod came from one of their farms that had gotten hit hard by a winter freeze and had suffered severe damage. They did not realize this until warmer temperatures arrived and other customers called to complain. They agreed that it was their problem and that the sod should be replaced.

I'm now going to negotiate with them as to what materials and labor they should provide in order to replace the sod. I see the following items.

4500 sq ft of replacement sod delivered to my home
I do not see a need for additional top soil, but another bag of fertilizer is needed.
Labor to remove old sod and haul it away
Labor to install new sod

Would it be reasonable for me to expect them to cover all of these items, or just some of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
All of it if they have admitted fault.....you should expect no less.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:30 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I proposed full replacement, including materials and labor.

Here is what the sod company has countered with. They are refusing to offer any labor, or costs to dispose of the bad sod.

We cannot provide labor to replace the sod for a few reasons. The first being that we are in the busiest time of the year, we are 4+ weeks out on our own installations, logistically it would be a very long wait time IF that was even an option.

Our company did not ever have anything to do with the labor process, providing labor for sod issues is not something that we are set up to do, and it is not something that we ever do, unless we were originally contracted to do the labor through our installation program. It is not typical for a supplier to stand behind the labor required to install their product, unless they were the supplier and installer. It is also not typical of some companies to fully stand behind their product, which we ARE doing. So here are the options that I have for you.

Option 1: Full replacement and delivery of the product to your house at no cost. I understand this would be a ton of work for you, and may not be realistic to do all at once, so here is another option.

Option 2: Full refund of the sod, and delivery fee, (roughly $3400) back in your pocket, just to be thorough, this does not include a refund of the compost as that was not part of the issue. This will allow you do go a few different ways, doing the replacement in sections though the summer, using the $3400 to pay for whatever sod is needed, or waiting a bit longer, knowing that you have those funds to replace portions at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden