Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times

Advertisements

I am reviving this thread because of all the dead and dying Ash trees I have on my property. Last year they were living, and only some infected, and this year they are all infected and starting to die. On my five acres I have fifteen to twenty trees that have been infected. Is anybody else noticing this damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
In my area, most of the Ash have been dead for a couple of years from Emerald Borer damage. Last of the dead ones are now crumbling and are a hazard. Ash was one of the primary trees in the original deciduous forests of North America - it's a huge ecological disaster. Not any survivors in this area that I have seen.

The real worry now is the Asian Longhorn Beetle that will destroy every tree in its path. Areas are being clearcut to try to stop the spread.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
I’ve been using the Bayer 3-1 feed and protect stuff, this being my second year to use it. Not cheap, but only needs it once a year. We had damage from something early last year on our crape myrtles and weeping maple, and something started to hit our arborvitaes and Laurels too. This year we appear to be spared this far while others around us are not and who refuse to use anything chemical related. Neighbor has two dead ash’s now, and three dead arborvitae trees, and a zelkova that is quickly being destroyed. Sad to see and they’re upset, but won’t do anything about it.

I like Bayer 3-1 feed and protect once a year, and if needed, TalstarP sprayed through a hose sprayer at 1ounce per gallon of water maybe once in the summer when a little extra help is needed. We have a massive holly bush that recently got infested with something that turned it all black and was dying. I didn’t use enough Bayer on it. Hoses it with TalstarP and whatever they were stopped. Saved the bush (it’s actually 5 holly bushes as one). They tried to jump to our privets after spraying the holly, but were unsuccessful as the privets were given the appropriate amount of the Bayer in March and they eventually moved on to the neighbors landscaping instead.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I’ve been using the Bayer 3-1 feed and protect stuff, this being my second year to use it. Not cheap, but only needs it once a year. We had damage from something early last year on our crape myrtles and weeping maple, and something started to hit our arborvitaes and Laurels too. This year we appear to be spared this far while others around us are not and who refuse to use anything chemical related. Neighbor has two dead ash’s now, and three dead arborvitae trees, and a zelkova that is quickly being destroyed. Sad to see and they’re upset, but won’t do anything about it.

I like Bayer 3-1 feed and protect once a year, and if needed, TalstarP sprayed through a hose sprayer at 1ounce per gallon of water maybe once in the summer when a little extra help is needed. We have a massive holly bush that recently got infested with something that turned it all black and was dying. I didn’t use enough Bayer on it. Hoses it with TalstarP and whatever they were stopped. Saved the bush (it’s actually 5 holly bushes as one). They tried to jump to our privets after spraying the holly, but were unsuccessful as the privets were given the appropriate amount of the Bayer in March and they eventually moved on to the neighbors landscaping instead.
That is fine if you only have a few trees. I did not want to start with fifteen or twenty trees; sooner or later I would forget. I have been doing a lot of 'free firewood' ads on my local supermarket bulletin board. Unlike the Asian Longhorn Beetle my whole State is in their area and I do not have to worry about spreading this little pest. I have tried to even give my trees away for lumber but have not had any takers as of now.

I do worry about the Asian Longhorn Beetle because many people from the infected area live or vacation in my area; I suspect that we will be next.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,833 times
Between the crape myrtles, green giants, leylands, zelkovas, vbirches, Japanese maples and weeping cherry, we have slightly over 40 trees alone. Factor in the hedges and shrubs, and it jumps to nearly 70. The nice thing about the Bayer is that it’s just once a year to protect them.

But I think I misread your first post. Thought you were asking how to prevent the damage, but doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re asking about.

Neighbor has two ash trees, two years ago they were alive and well. Last year they died quickly. This year I’m just waiting for a storm to put them through their roof as they just don’t seem to care, and not close enough to our house to matter.

I spoke to a nursery owner two weeeks ago who also owns a farm. Said the bug infestation for the past two years has been the worst he has ever seen. All of his ash trees got wiped out last year too.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Between the crape myrtles, green giants, leylands, zelkovas, vbirches, Japanese maples and weeping cherry, we have slightly over 40 trees alone. Factor in the hedges and shrubs, and it jumps to nearly 70. The nice thing about the Bayer is that it’s just once a year to protect them.

But I think I misread your first post. Thought you were asking how to prevent the damage, but doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re asking about.

Neighbor has two ash trees, two years ago they were alive and well. Last year they died quickly. This year I’m just waiting for a storm to put them through their roof as they just don’t seem to care, and not close enough to our house to matter.

I spoke to a nursery owner two weeeks ago who also owns a farm. Said the bug infestation for the past two years has been the worst he has ever seen. All of his ash trees got wiped out last year too.
I think that I originally was inquiring how to save; but I did not realize how many trees it affected. Fortunately for me the trees are not close to my house.

Now it is just a question of what to replace them with after I remove them. Unfortunately there are not too many trees and shrubs left that do not have something trying to eat them!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:18 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am reviving this thread because of all the dead and dying Ash trees I have on my property. Last year they were living, and only some infected, and this year they are all infected and starting to die. On my five acres I have fifteen to twenty trees that have been infected. Is anybody else noticing this damage?
I hope you can save your trees.

it's also ashame because it's great firewood. No need to season for a yr. I don't have any on my property or near me but some towns in CT that needed to take them down was giving it to residents as free firewood.

"The emerald ash borer was first seen in the U.S. near Detroit in 2002 and in Connecticut in 2012.

“We’re looking at tens of thousands of trees that need to be removed from Connecticut DOT right of ways,” he said.

He estimates it will cost millions of dollars over the next few years, but hesitates to set an exact timeframe."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
In my area, most of the Ash have been dead for a couple of years from Emerald Borer damage. Last of the dead ones are now crumbling and are a hazard. Ash was one of the primary trees in the original deciduous forests of North America - it's a huge ecological disaster. Not any survivors in this area that I have seen..
Check this out. Maybe some hope?

https://twitter.com/usfs_nrs/status/1134155260686209024

Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I hope you can save your trees.

it's also ashame because it's great firewood. No need to season for a yr. I don't have any on my property or near me but some towns in CT that needed to take them down was giving it to residents as free firewood.
I think that it is too late for my trees. It might have been too late by the time I realized I had the problem?

In that link about the cost of removal of these dying trees in CT: "“We’re looking at tens of thousands of trees that need to be removed from Connecticut DOT right of ways,” he said." Of course all the states will have the same problem and most are affected by this destructive pest. There should be a way to think outside the box to save these government agencies and ultimately the taxpayers the cost of removal. For one thing Ash wood does have value to our saw mills and homeowners that burn wood. Although the mills are currently swamped with all the Ash trees; it is still one of the preferred woods to burn in the woodstoves. Perhaps the professionals could simply drop the trees, give land owners so long to remove them, and, after that time period, allow those looking for free firewood to help themselves?

We have so many trees in trouble. They do make massive wood chippers that can chip most trees whole. Perhaps the paper mills could take some and the particle board industry could use some more? Of course that all takes cooperation between the landowners, government and insurance companies. I have some large landowners that own thousands of acres in my area, including our electric company. None of us like the idea of higher taxes or higher electric bills; so there must be some way to deal with this problem that saves us all money.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
EAB is within 20 miles of my woodlot. I treated a handful of ash trees I selected this year to be safe (it's often in an area for a while before being detected). It's impossible to save every ash tree in a woodlot. I'm a forester and have gotten that question a few times (others just want to liquidate it all). But the idea is if you save some of the best with chemical treatments, you will preserve the species. Those will seed in offspring and hopefully in the future we'll have a control figured out.

Something worth noting is that the best chemical treatments for EAB are in the category of what some call neo nics and in their quest to save the bees from improper use of these chemicals, some states are being pressured by some groups to ban them entirely, which will mean no saving the ash trees. Treating ash for EAB is not a significant threat to bees.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I’m going to have to treat mine, but I’m hoping I have at least a couple more years before it makes it to the FL panhandle. Ash is sort of a wetland species down here, it’s not really widespread like it is up north, so hopefully isolated stands will be spared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden