Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that vinegar would get rid of some little weeds cropping up. But how does that work? I assume cheap white vinegar is fine, but do I spray or what? Do I use it full-strength or dilute it? Does it just kill the leafy part above-ground, or does it kill the roots?

The weeds have been getting me in trouble with my homeowner's group, but I'm trying to avoid using serious pesticides (my neighbors are urging me to use Roundup). It happens to be in an area with mostly rocks, so it's not a matter of hurting other plants.

Thanks in advance for any explanations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I've had success using cleaning strength vinegar which is stronger than regular vinegar. It needs to be applied, full strength, on a warm, sunny day.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Yes, I've used it as a spot spray and it works well, you must combine vinegar, salt and dish soap for very best results. Here is the recipe and further information about it is at the posted link:

Natural Weed Killer
  • 1 gallon white vinegar
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
  • Combine ingredients and stir well until all the salt is dissolved, put in a spray bottle and treat weeds at the sunniest time of day for best results.
Instructions: https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/garden...al-weed-killer

Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, I've used it as a spot spray and it works well, you must combine vinegar, salt and dish soap for very best results. Here is the recipe and further information about it is at the posted link:

Natural Weed Killer
  • 1 gallon white vinegar
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
  • Combine ingredients and stir well until all the salt is dissolved, put in a spray bottle and treat weeds at the sunniest time of day for best results.
Instructions: https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/garden...al-weed-killer

Hannibal salted the Romans' fields to try to starve them to death. Progressive salinization is the death sentence for irrigated fields.

I'd just use RoundUp- a whole lot safer and effective. The beauty of RoundUp is its quick action on the roots and quick degradation & elimination from the environment, Info- impoverished TreeHuggers notwithstanding.

I just gave you an accidental click for rep points, but that's OK because you have so many good posts that usually won't allow me to rep you again too soon. I still owe you a few ;-)

Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Yeah, don’t salt any soil you want to grow anything in, ever.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Hannibal salted the Romans' fields to try to starve them to death. Progressive salinization is the death sentence for irrigated fields.

I know. Salting the land is an ancient tried and true method of killing soil that has been resorted to by invading warriors in many civilizations. A lot of dry rock salt has to be used to accomplish the goal. Have you ever noticed how when roads get salted in the winter there is never enough of it put down that it ends up stopping weeds from growing at the sides of the roads the next spring and summer? You really need a LOT of dry salt put down for it to kill soil.

But the OP doesn't want to salt irrigated fields and starve anyone. The OP wants to spot spray vinegar onto a few weeds growing up out of some rocks in the front yard at their house. The amount of salt called for mixed with full strength vinegar sprayed into the rocks isn't going to be enough to kill all the neighbourhood's front lawns and flowerbeds and starve out all the neighbours in the HOA.

Thanks for the compliment and the accidental rep.

Voebe, most of the time I just slice below ground or pull weeds' roots out of the ground where it's easy to do so, but I have sometimes used that solution for spot spraying onto the leaves of weeds growing in hard to reach places or where pulling stubborn roots up is impossible for me.

My most frequent use of it though has been to kill weeds and mosses that were growing up between patio, sidewalk and driveway flagstones, and weeds and dogtooth ferns that were growing on top of a flat roof covered with drainage rocks and destroying the rubber membrane beneath the rocks. It kills the weeds that are present but after a few months to a year more weeds will start to come up between the flagstones and rocks again, so a repeat application will have to be made. The fact that more weeds will come up again after a few months tells me that the soil is still viable and that it's the weeds that were killed and not the soil.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-16-2019 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 04:31 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I have a crack where my driveway meets the road and all kinds of weeds grow through there. I use plain white vinegar, undiluted, and they all turn brown and die. You might have to pull the corpses out if yours are large enough to see among the rocks. I pass my weed whacker over the spot and I'm good.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I don't add salt but I've found if you spray a few days in a row when the sun is blazing hot, the weeds are killed.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 PM

146 posts, read 114,268 times
Last summer I found an old axe head that was heavily rusted, so I put it in a plastic bowl and soaked it in white vinegar and left it outside for a few days. It did a great job cleaning it up, and when It was done I walked down my steps and without thinking I dumped the vinegar into the grass in my yard.

I found that it works very well killing plants.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:58 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Yes, vinegar works just fine. 10% solution. What means - you mix 50%, just in case.
Cheapest to buy was at Sam's double pack, 2 gallons.
Realize, that vinegar does not differentiate and kills any growth. It's basically natural Round Up.
Also, you can go to Home Depot and buy 50Lb bags of salt for water purifiers. 5-7 bucks. Buy the blue bag, not the green one. Generously spread salt anywhere you do not want anything to grow. usually, along fences, walkways, etc. Of course, not when it's raining non stop. It pretty much works for a year. Nothing grows.

Saturated salt solution also works. Takes a bit longer and does not act as long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden