Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 02:01 PM

176 posts, read 180,777 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out what I did wrong to avoid the mistake next year. We planted zucchini and yellow summer squash and everything seemed to be going fine.. until we had about 2 weeks worth of rain. Harvested about half a dozen zucchini and a couple squash and suddenly everything started wilting. Added some fertilizer and cut back on water (checking the soil moisture every day) but they were too far gone.

Started pulling up some of the plants and the stems at the base of the plant are pretty much rotted through on all of them. No boring beetles or any other pests that I can find which is why I'm assuming it was an over-watering issue. Squash was also starting to suffer from blossom rot just before everything went downhill and died off within a week's time.

Hindsight being 20/20.. we didn't mound them since we bought them already started from the local 4H program at our high school and they were being planted in raised beds.

Thinking about trying to replant (zone 7b) with hopes of getting some zucchini late summer/early fall. Will have to start from seed this go round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Over watering or squash bug. I had the same experience and finally gave up.
This has been a tough summer for my veggies. It has been so hot and humid that I have had to water twice a day which I hate to do. I now have leaf roll and the plant looks like it is a goner. I will give it a few days and then toss it.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:37 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
yep the heat will zap them for sure we had 100+ days in the beginning of may and I lost all tomatoes and cucumbers that had planted it was disappointing as well .

Old 07-02-2019, 05:52 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Sorry to hear about the squash and zucchini. They are easy to raise, but weather has everything to do with your harvest. I lost basil, tomatoes and peppers to frost the last couple days in April.

I’m feeding and trying to fast track the veggies that were left. Today, I found some basil plants that had been marked down to a dollar. I’m adding those plants to the two I have now. Basil is something you can never grow enough of.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep the heat will zap them for sure we had 100+ days in the beginning of may and I lost all tomatoes and cucumbers that had planted it was disappointing as well .
I should have said it was my 2 tomato plants that had leave curl. So far the cuke is doing ok already had 2 off and will pull another tomorrow. Peppers looking good, and cantaloupe (softball size) have a ton of flowers, so time will tell.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:23 PM

176 posts, read 180,777 times
Well.. I'm going to give them another shot in another planting area. I'm still not entirely sure it wasn't vine borers.. but I haven't been able to find any in the stalks. I have a 3'x6' raised bed (planter box really) that I just finished removing potatoes and carrots from. It does have some drainage issues in that the the soil dries out pretty quick. Will probably add some more peat moss and compost tomorrow before planting some seeds.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg01 View Post
Well.. I'm going to give them another shot in another planting area. I'm still not entirely sure it wasn't vine borers.. but I haven't been able to find any in the stalks. I have a 3'x6' raised bed (planter box really) that I just finished removing potatoes and carrots from. It does have some drainage issues in that the the soil dries out pretty quick. Will probably add some more peat moss and compost tomorrow before planting some seeds.
Potatoes and carrots don't grow well together. Squash may not do well where potatoes were planted within a year.

Companion planting is key.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ble-garden.htm

https://www.almanac.com/content/comp...planting-guide

https://www.almanac.com/video/compan...ers-vegetables

Old 07-08-2019, 10:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
It sounds more to me like squash bugs which are tough to get rid of. I finally just stopped trying to grow any summer squash. Good luck but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden