Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 06:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,074,580 times

Advertisements

They might need calcium. Sprinkle some egg shells around the base and see if that helps. What kind of tomato is it?
I also trim off some of the leaves on the plant to force it to bear more fruit and less greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 06:44 PM

1,462 posts, read 976,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
They might need calcium. Sprinkle some egg shells around the base and see if that helps. What kind of tomato is it?
I also trim off some of the leaves on the plant to force it to bear more fruit and less greenery.
Thank you, I will add some egg shells around the base and trim some leaves. To be honest, not quite sure if these are the same cherry tomatoes or not. My mother in law planted the seeds for us in a pot. I then transferred it in ground.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:03 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,779,807 times
Have you tried getting a spray can of Blossom Set, and spraying the flowers. There are some breeds of Tomatoes, that this is almost mandatory to get them started to produce fruit. If night is below 60 to 65 degrees, many different tomato types will not produce tomatoes.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-bl...oes-35333.html

Spray the plant early, and get an early crop when they will not set otherwise. The tomatoes will be larger and a much heavier crop if you use it. Without it, you have the type of problem you are having.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...-set-spray.htm

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...2&action=click

Good information----Note they tell you how to properly grow tomatoes, and then tell you to use blossom set.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...33&action=view

Old 06-11-2020, 01:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 5,162,086 times
-never heard of blossom set. Interesting.

But when your home grown tomatoes are ready for harvest, they cost about 10cents a lb at the store. I'm not sure blossom set @ $30-$60 a qrt is worth it https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...=blossom%20set

It would make your BeefSteak Tomatoes more expensive than your actual Beefsteak

Old 06-11-2020, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

But when your home grown tomatoes are ready for harvest, they cost about 10cents a lb at the store. I'm not sure blossom set @ $30-$60 a qrt is worth it https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...=blossom%20set

That stuff, if needed goes a long way. It would be worth it to me, vine ripened home grown tomatoes taste SO MUCH BETTER than store bought gas ripened.

Amazon has it in small 8 oz. for $10.85, well worth a try.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:35 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,678,217 times
Quote:
But when your home grown tomatoes are ready for harvest, they cost about 10cents a lb at the store. I'm not sure blossom set @ $30-$60 a qrt is worth it

Not here in Alaska. The cheapest tomatoes ever get is $1.99/lb. Right now they are $2.99 - $3.99/lb.

I've used blossom set spray and it does work. I bought a small bottle for about $10 and still have some left.

Plus, as Hemlock said, store bought tomatoes don't hold a candle to home grown when it comes to taste.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:46 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,525,481 times
Quote:

I never see tomatoes cheaper than 99 cents/pound, and that is for uninspired Romas. Heirloom types are $4-$5/lb and still nowhere as tasty as a non-heirloom homegrown fruit.

I have to water the tomatoes every day as I live in a hot climate.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:48 AM

644 posts, read 307,947 times
Maybe try watering more often while it's really hot? Is it hotter than usual where you live, or maybe there's been a change in the weather? My tomatoes and peppers really chug water, and when they don't get enough they still look happy but will not set buds.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:53 AM

83,553 posts, read 75,444,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
Maybe try watering more often while it's really hot? Is it hotter than usual where you live, or maybe there's been a change in the weather? My tomatoes and peppers really chug water, and when they don't get enough they still look happy but will not set buds.
It took 18 posts for someone to mention the weather factor. lol. I was gonna ask the same thing. HEAT is what causes flowers to drop and plant not produce.

OP's location saying Southern California. I see it's in the upper 80s and 90s today alone there. Pretty sure heat is a factor UNLESS they are near the coast where its in the 70s/80s

Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 5,162,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It took 18 posts for someone to mention the weather factor. lol. I was gonna ask the same thing. HEAT is what causes flowers to drop and plant not produce.

OP's location saying Southern California. I see it's in the upper 80s and 90s today alone there. Pretty sure heat is a factor UNLESS they are near the coast where its in the 70s/80s

That's The Common Wisdom, but I always wondered about it....Italy is hot and dry and probably uses more tomatoes per capita than any other place in the world, yet still has enough each year to stage those celebrations where semis- full are paraded thru the streets and they throw them at each other.

I've been growing tomatoes for more than 50 yrs and have had only one bad year: last year when there was record rainfall and my plot in the bottom of the valley was water logged all spring & summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden