Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 12:09 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Exactly! I'm paying $20 for 15 minutes. Seems excessive?
You need to enjoy that deal while it lasts.........

I've always paid between $100 and $180 a month. Winter is a 3X a month cut, summer is every week.

Doesn't matter what the cost is, I do not want to do it! I do a lot of stuff myself, I just never liked lawn work between the noise, the dirt/dust and the time! I definitely don't want that equipment in my garage either (the smell is annoying).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 12:15 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
0.8 acres, $60. Our guy bought a brand new Dodge 3500 w/ Cummins, has an enclosed trailer for his zero-turn, and he mows while his partner does the edging. He's here what seems like no more than 30 minutes, but he REALLY tries to minimize drive time by scheduling everyone in the same area on the same day. Hard working guy.
Those trucks can be had for 50K in work truck (tradesman trim). The trailer is simply smart business: "enclosed = THEFT PREVENTION." Drive time kills profits, you make $zero while driving to the next job.

A buddy owns a sizable tree business. He opened a new location the next county north. With 5-7 guys getting paid hourly the trip up/back to the original location was costing him almost 2 hours per day, per guy!
Even at $15 an hour (X 6 guys X 2 hours = $180 a day in travel time)........$1000 bucks a week for NOTHING!

Old 04-04-2021, 12:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Exactly! I'm paying $20 for 15 minutes. Seems excessive?
Get a goat! At the end of the growing season call it a BBQ. No storage needed.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:02 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I bought one from a local pawn shop for I think $60 three years ago. I was able to start it up so no worries if it worked or not. Three years and it runs fine. I don't mind doing it myself its good exercise. When I am not in town I pay someone to do it.
I "inherited" a defunct mower at a rental house and took it to a mower service place to see if they could get it running. Cost more to repair it than to buy one of their "loaners". The loaner was who knows how many years old by then, but they claimed it would start no matter what (hence its role as loaner). They decided to sell it because it didn't have the cut height adjustment customers started preferring at the time. Think I paid $50 for it. Sure enough, the thing was so bombproof it was boring. Every spring it fired right up with no fuss and started every single time you pulled the cord. Once it was running it stayed running until you switched it off. I used it for many years afterwards. It really was a bargain. Finally gave it away once the uneven clumpy grass-covered clearings surrounding my houses could only be euphemistically referred to as lawns.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-04-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-04-2021, 02:58 PM

558 posts, read 434,087 times
According to what you guys pay, I pay too much. I have a half-acre, and I pay $100 every 2 weeks.

But the thing is that the guy before that charged $85, and that was several years ago.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
It depends on where you live,in Houston,some are still paying 25-35,my friend and his neighbors pay $25 for last 25 years.and you wonder why property tax in Houston is so high.
Question,
I have the same kid for years,now he is no longer a kid,I always tape the money in an envelope on my front door and they pick it up.
YeSterday,it was picked up,but this kid knocked on my door and said you have not paid us?Is he being a con man?

Old 04-04-2021, 03:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Those trucks can be had for 50K in work truck (tradesman trim). The trailer is simply smart business: "enclosed = THEFT PREVENTION." Drive time kills profits, you make $zero while driving to the next job.

A buddy owns a sizable tree business. He opened a new location the next county north. With 5-7 guys getting paid hourly the trip up/back to the original location was costing him almost 2 hours per day, per guy!
Even at $15 an hour (X 6 guys X 2 hours = $180 a day in travel time)........$1000 bucks a week for NOTHING!
That's amazing. No regrets opening the 2nd location?

Added bonus: Enclosed trailers allow for larger logos!

Old 04-04-2021, 04:34 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
YeSterday,it was picked up,but this kid knocked on my door and said you have not paid us?Is he being a con man?
Same kid who's no longer a kid? Another kid? You can't prove who actually picked up the money unless you witnessed it or have a door camera. Someone else who noticed your little routine (every time the lawn mowing kid was due, an envelope magically appeared on your door. When he left, the envelope went with him) could have put two and two together and snagged the envelope before the right kid got to it. Maybe you need to modernize your payment method.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Call other lawn care services in your local area, get quotes, and compare them! Numbers from other locales may not be relevant.
This. Every location will have different rates. All work is not the same. There's different types of grass, typography, etc.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Get a goat! At the end of the growing season call it a BBQ. No storage needed.
Don't think I didn't look into it. Not allowed within city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden