Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 08:24 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times

Advertisements

I had what once was considered one of the very best push mowers, a Lawnboy. It had some great features and for about the first season it was perfect. But by the second season I started having problems with the carburetor. I had that carb rebuilt twice, and then replaced it. Developed a problem yet again. By year three of frustration I put it out on the curb and bought a high-end Honda finish mower.

In addition, I only put non-ethanol gas in any of my small engines. I also have used Seafoam in engines and Sta-bil in my gas cans. When I pull the mowers, trimmers, and blowers out of the shed after several months, guess what? They start right up.

The posters above advising to clean or replace the carburetor and use non-ethanol gas, with Seafoam, for example, are spot-on.

OTOH, my fil just got an electric, battery powered mower and he loves it. Maybe that is in all of our future yards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 03:38 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I think electric, battery power is the future for all lawn-care equipment. I've owned gasoline leaf blowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, and chain saws. I've switched all these to electric. Some may get a thrill from cranking on a small engine for 30 minutes before it starts (or doesn't), but not me. I will say though, for large lawns and commercial use, gasoline will still rule, at least until battery technology catches up.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:20 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Try carb spray a few times, cranking with the air filter off.

Maybe too much oil, too. Shouldn’t be too hard to sort out. Every couple of years, I have to have mine professionally serviced.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:14 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Is your "regular gas" ethanol free or maybe E10 ? Any amount of ethanol attracts water into the fuel and has accelerated breakdown. The fuel thrust upon the public by the governments of this country is criminal and is just another tax. Try owning a boat engine and using this stuff. The chances of having to do a multi thousand dollar rebuild are high.

When running small engines search for ethanol free gas in your area (Yes, it is available, check the web) and then use additives. Again, SeaFoam is awesome. It keeps harmful deposits down while not damaging fuel system components. I have 17 pieces of equipment with smaller engines from ATV's (3), push mowers(3), Zero turn mowers (3), 2 chainsaws, 2 weedeaters, generators. Some of these pieces are near 25 years old.

The ZTR's are 2011, 2015, and 2017 models. Granted I'm in Texas where they sit inactive for only 4-5 months not 7-8 that some sit in the northern tier states. Use additives to keep fuel fresher. Also start and run these engines while sitting unused every month or so. My generators require this. Carb rebuilds/cleaning are not technical but can be a PIA (especially with old eyes and less than nimble fingers).

Great forum here.

Bob
I think you meant to quote someone else. I have no issues with my gas engines.
I already stated that I always use regular gas (as in, what I put in my car) in my 4-stroke lawnmower. All my life. Zero issues. And I know where to find ethanol-free gas since as I already stated, that is what I use in my 2-stroke gas trimmer.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:08 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think you meant to quote someone else. I have no issues with my gas engines.
I already stated that I always use regular gas (as in, what I put in my car) in my 4-stroke lawnmower. All my life. Zero issues. And I know where to find ethanol-free gas since as I already stated, that is what I use in my 2-stroke gas trimmer.
Sorry, not unusual for me to have a brain phart. I went back and reread the thread and can see no reason I would want to quote you as you seem to be doing all the right stuff . . . including correcting me !

Old 04-22-2022, 04:28 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
The oil was slightly over filled. The mower started and smoke out the exhaust and then it ran fine for about 10 minutes. A couple times it tried to cut off and smoked while trying to cut off but only when mowing very high grass levels (thick moss). When removed from that area it ran fine. I cut it off and hope for longer results next time. Removed a little oil, dropped the cup and saw no residue, spray the linkages with carb spray and new fuel and got the results mentioned above. As far as replacing or rebuilding a carb that is out of my league. Hopefully it starts next time and we'll run in for a longer period of time.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The oil was slightly over filled. The mower started and smoke out the exhaust and then it ran fine for about 10 minutes. A couple times it tried to cut off and smoked while trying to cut off but only when mowing very high grass levels (thick moss). When removed from that area it ran fine. I cut it off and hope for longer results next time. Removed a little oil, dropped the cup and saw no residue, spray the linkages with carb spray and new fuel and got the results mentioned above. As far as replacing or rebuilding a carb that is out of my league. Hopefully it starts next time and we'll run in for a longer period of time.
Again, the symptoms point to a carb issue as it sounds like it is not making the power it should be making.

Replacing the carb is really quite simple and usually involves no more than removing the fuel lines, unbolting and removing the old carb, bolting on the new carb and reconnecting the fuel lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KlhWhKiw8M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden