Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:09 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,672,101 times

Advertisements

I was gonna tell you to just go to Home Depot and buy another $200 mower, but that $200 mower is probably $400 now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 10:11 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,672,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We have used new gas. Smoking out the muffler a sign of too much oil? Thanks.
maybe..or might be stuck float..tap on side of carb with screwdriver handle..

Old 04-18-2022, 11:21 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
New symptom delivered by the grim reaper.
It starts and runs and it ran for maybe 5 minutes today but smoke out of the muffler. It might have too much oil, not sure and there are people around who may be able to use it for parts it is really dead.
The smoke coming out of the muffler probably has nothing to do with the engine oil. If there is insufficient air flow into the engine, the engine will run too rich and you can get smoke as the result of unburned/incomplete combustion. To me, this is another sign that you have a carb issue. Either rebuild the carb or--if you're not comfortable doing that--simply buy and install a replacement.

Remember, we must think in terms of likely causes when doing diagnostic work. You know that the mower previously had an obstruction issue that required addressing. You know that the mower ran fine for a time after addressing this issue. Therefore, it is quite likely that the obstruction simply wasn't completely removed and over the time that the mower was running, worked its way deeper into the carb when it is now hampering operation.

That is the simplest and most likely explanation. Rebuild or replace the carb.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:31 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Just a comment….although I now use ethanol-free gas in my 2-stroke trimmer, I have ever done so in any lawnmowers I’ve owned. Never had a single issue using regular gas in lawnmowers

Old 04-18-2022, 01:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Just a comment….although I now use ethanol-free gas in my 2-stroke trimmer, I have ever done so in any lawnmowers I’ve owned. Never had a single issue using regular gas in lawnmowers
On my 2-cycle tiller, I had to replace the carburetor and tubing when after sitting empty it clogged, I couldn't clean it out, and the tubing was soft. Since then I have been buying the canned premixed non-ethanol gas and no issues for 3 years.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:38 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On my 2-cycle tiller, I had to replace the carburetor and tubing when after sitting empty it clogged, I couldn't clean it out, and the tubing was soft. Since then I have been buying the canned premixed non-ethanol gas and no issues for 3 years.
Yes, I stated that I use only ethanol-free in my 2-stroke. My lawnmower is NOT 2-stroke. I use regular gas in it with no issues.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Getting back to the OP, I would say you might need to dump the gas in the gas tank, replace the fuel lines, and clean the carburetor again. If it has a fuel filter you may want to clean it. If if does not you may want to add one, simple enough to do.

I use non-ethanol gas in my small engines, it does not cost that much more for a few gallons over the season. Two-stroke engines are more sensitive to the ethanol, but it does not do any equipment any good really. Particularly anything that gets stored for an off season. I'm going to guess that the OP stored this lawn mower over the winter with E10 fuel in it. The ethanol is more of a problem in more humid locations.

Newer fuel line may be ethanol tolerant.

Smoking from the muffler may indicate that the choke is stuck on. I mean, check the oil level and if it's overfilled drain some out, but if you filled it with the correct amount of oil, it's not likely to be overfilled, unless you are beset with free-range idiots who add oil to engines without talking to you first.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:47 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes, I stated that I use only ethanol-free in my 2-stroke. My lawnmower is NOT 2-stroke. I use regular gas in it with no issues.
Is your "regular gas" ethanol free or maybe E10 ? Any amount of ethanol attracts water into the fuel and has accelerated breakdown. The fuel thrust upon the public by the governments of this country is criminal and is just another tax. Try owning a boat engine and using this stuff. The chances of having to do a multi thousand dollar rebuild are high.

When running small engines search for ethanol free gas in your area (Yes, it is available, check the web) and then use additives. Again, SeaFoam is awesome. It keeps harmful deposits down while not damaging fuel system components. I have 17 pieces of equipment with smaller engines from ATV's (3), push mowers(3), Zero turn mowers (3), 2 chainsaws, 2 weedeaters, generators. Some of these pieces are near 25 years old.

The ZTR's are 2011, 2015, and 2017 models. Granted I'm in Texas where they sit inactive for only 4-5 months not 7-8 that some sit in the northern tier states. Use additives to keep fuel fresher. Also start and run these engines while sitting unused every month or so. My generators require this. Carb rebuilds/cleaning are not technical but can be a PIA (especially with old eyes and less than nimble fingers).

Great forum here.

Bob

Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times
My issue years back was the gas cap was on too tight.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:04 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I got rid of my 2 year old Craftsmen and put it out on the street pete. Got a EGO and it has not missed a beat since 2017.
That is exactly what I did. However, my craftsmen was around 25 years old. My new house has a hill that needs cutting and I believe it was the tilt of the hill stirring the gas around sending particles to the carb that caused it to fail, a few times. I got tired of it. I gave the mower away to a neighbor who rebuilds them. Found a great deal on Facebook market place for a one year old, self propelled EGO with a battery, and turbo charger for $324. The guy never used it...I like it and does the job. I also have other EGO tools, blower, weedwacker and have for several years. I like EGO products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden