Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 07:35 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times

Advertisements

Salt (and salt water) is pretty good at discouraging plant growth, just don't put it uphill of any plant you want to keep alive.
Kosher salt comes in bigger crystal size.

I don't use any weed killer on our back yard because husband developed bad skin condition due to exposure to weed killers that are present in many environments outside, tennis courts especially but many playgrounds use them, people just don't know they are there because they are invisible.

If you live in an HOA weedkillers are used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 09:48 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Roundup is environmentally horrific, and many weeds have developed a tolerance to it.

It's environmentally horrific when you spray it across a 5,000 acre field of corn genetically modified to resist it's effects. It's not so bad when you are spraying a few weeds growing up in the cracks of your driveway.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It's environmentally horrific when you spray it across a 5,000 acre field of corn genetically modified to resist it's effects. It's not so bad when you are spraying a few weeds growing up in the cracks of your driveway.
People (consumers) spraying it can inhale it, can get it on their skin where it goes into their bloodstream.
Yes the environment can be harmed but people, bees and other necessary insects can also be harmed.
There's a lot of gray area, not a simple decision if you've seen what it can do.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:37 AM

126 posts, read 147,027 times
Thank you for your comments. appreciate it...I am off to start trying the different options and see what works
BTW-I love all pollinators, birds, etc. and I want to help them stay as healthy as possible. Also, my father (may he rest in peace) used lots of chemicals since he loved to keep a perfect lawn (without weeds). He passed from battling lymphoma

Old 06-30-2023, 03:07 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If you live in an HOA weedkillers are used.
WHY do people keep making such broad brush statements about HOAs? I've owned houses in 3. NONE of them had HOA-maintained common areas or applied any weed control chemicals!

Old 06-30-2023, 05:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueClouds View Post
Thank you for your comments. appreciate it...I am off to start trying the different options and see what works
BTW-I love all pollinators, birds, etc. and I want to help them stay as healthy as possible. Also, my father (may he rest in peace) used lots of chemicals since he loved to keep a perfect lawn (without weeds). He passed from battling lymphoma
If you love your pollinators…..turn your outside light OFF at night.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
WHY do people keep making such broad brush statements about HOAs? I've owned houses in 3. NONE of them had HOA-maintained common areas or applied any weed control chemicals!
Are you positive that none of your neighbors used weedkiller in their yards?
Are you positive that yard maintenance companies working in neighbors yards used no weedkiller?

Old 07-01-2023, 06:25 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Are you positive that none of your neighbors used weedkiller in their yards?
Are you positive that yard maintenance companies working in neighbors yards used no weedkiller?

What do those have to do with HOAs? That just regular neighbor stuff...

Old 07-01-2023, 10:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Hello,

What non chemical or some chemical (that will not cause cancer if it gets on your skin) do you use to kill grass or weeds that come through/under pavers or rocks (we had a path put in a month ago and the handyman did not do a great job pulling all the grass before placing the pavers).
Also, do you have a home remedy (I read baking soda & water mixture could work?) that would remove the fuzzy white dots from the trunk of a crepe myrtle tree? The dots are on about 10% of the trunk.

Plant zone: 8b

TIA
In all likelihood those fuzzy white dots on the tree are what are called Crepe Myrtle Bark Scale (CMBS for short) and if left alone they will eventually completely cover the tree. They are invasive congregational insects with fuzzy white or grey shells and they cause what is called Sooty Black Mold on the tree. Inspect the fuzzy white spots with a magnifying glass and compare with images found online, and examine the bark on the tree to see if it has black mold spreading on it that looks and feels like a coating of soot left from a fire. Don't handle it with bare hands, use rubber gloves if you intend to scrub it, and scrub everything off the tree with a very stiff bristle brush and strong soapy water (use dish soap).

Scale: https://www.google.ca/search?q=crepe...t=gws-wiz-serp

Scale images: https://www.google.ca/search?q=crepe...ih=592&dpr=1.5

Re: the paving stones - I don't like resorting to using chemicals if avoidable, other than soap and water on aphids and mites or to clean things. Sometimes the best way to deal with grass or weeds that come up between pavers is to hire a different handyman (or neighbour kid) to come and manually pull it out by the roots. Be prepared to supervise if you want somebody else to do it to your satisfaction. I do it myself and usually tend to pull it out manually or else trim the stray grass and roots around the edges of the pavers with a sharp knife or box-cutter and scissors. A weed eater with a nylon line (not a blade) is quite effective at whipping out stuff between pavers too, and so is a power washer with a sharp cutting stream.

Old 07-01-2023, 04:32 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Hello,

What non chemical or some chemical (that will not cause cancer if it gets on your skin) do you use to kill grass or weeds that come through/under pavers or rocks (we had a path put in a month ago and the handyman did not do a great job pulling all the grass before placing the pavers).
Also, do you have a home remedy (I read baking soda & water mixture could work?) that would remove the fuzzy white dots from the trunk of a crepe myrtle tree? The dots are on about 10% of the trunk.

Plant zone: 8b

TIA
The "fuzzy white dots" are crepe myrtle bark scale. I don't know how you get rid of that, successfully, w/o using chemicals. This is what I use, and it does an excellent job.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BioAdvanced...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

As far as weeds, I have always used glyphosate. Non-chemical treatments simply don't work and I don't have time to spend pulling weeds every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden