Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 10:06 AM

127 posts, read 148,253 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What non chemical or some chemical (that will not cause cancer if it gets on your skin) do you use to kill grass or weeds that come through/under pavers or rocks (we had a path put in a month ago and the handyman did not do a great job pulling all the grass before placing the pavers).
Also, do you have a home remedy (I read baking soda & water mixture could work?) that would remove the fuzzy white dots from the trunk of a crepe myrtle tree? The dots are on about 10% of the trunk.

Plant zone: 8b

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 10:46 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
I've read "boiling water" but I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to get the tea kettle from the stove to the sidewalk without losing a lot of heat.

Gasoline works a right treat but it's hardly benign.

Anyone with older sidewalks and driveways has a certain amount of this. I just go over it with the weed whacker at each mowing. A few little weeds don't matter.

Unless you know what these "fuzzy white dots" are, it's just going to be a bunch of irrelevant guesses. I've lived with crape myrtles my whole life and I don't think I've ever seen this (or at least, never noticed it). My first wild guess would be some kind of powdery mildew. But that's just a WAG.

Most of the time, a plant that's located where it gets the right amount of sun, gets the right amount of water, good drainage, will not be adversely affected by a bit of mold or what have you. Crape myrtles are hell for stout and take a good deal of killing, so it's probably not something to worry about too much.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:50 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueClouds View Post
(that will not cause cancer if it gets on your skin)
Nothing you use will cause cancer upon dermal contact.
Don't splash whatever you end up using on your skin, and you will be fine.
If you do get it on your skin, wash it off with soap and water, and you will be fine.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:19 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,054,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueClouds View Post
Hello,

What non chemical or some chemical (that will not cause cancer if it gets on your skin) do you use to kill grass or weeds that come through/under pavers or rocks (we had a path put in a month ago and the handyman did not do a great job pulling all the grass before placing the pavers).
Also, do you have a home remedy (I read baking soda & water mixture could work?) that would remove the fuzzy white dots from the trunk of a crepe myrtle tree? The dots are on about 10% of the trunk.

Plant zone: 8b

TIA
https://www.lowes.com/pd/ORTHO-Groun...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The label indicates it is listed for organic gardening.

I use it for lots of invasive species. It is the only herbicide that I have found that works on Russian Thistle and Knapweed.
It will pretty much kill anything within 24 hours. It does require reapplication every year, but after a few years, there are so few invasive species that it doesn't take much time.

I would NOT use it as a broadcast spray.

I really do not understand why it is so expensive??

Old 06-29-2023, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Try about a quart of white vinegar, mixed thoroughly with 1/2 cup of table salt. Then add a teaspoon of Dawn liquid dish soap, and stir. Spray when the sun is on the weeds/grasses. I have tried it and it works on brad leaf weeds, I have not tried it on grasses, but it's a cheap and safe for the environment. Only downside, the neighbors will think you were making pickles.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:35 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I've read "boiling water" but I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to get the tea kettle from the stove to the sidewalk without losing a lot of heat.
I picked up one of those larger insulated pump-to-dispense coffee carafes at a garage sale and used that to haul "boiling" water to treat more obnoxious weeds. They stay hot a long time! The vinegar/salt mixture seems to work for most weeds that bother me enough to kill. Don't get it on any plants you like. It's pretty non-selectively toxic. I wouldn't re-treat the same area too often. The salt may build up in the soil over time and leach into non-target soil farther away.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-29-2023 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
I use high strength vinegar straight and my weeds never come back. Now I am talking about your paver situation. I don't use it on or near anything I want to keep.

Amazon sells a variety of strengths. Sometimes I add a drop of Dawn too.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:57 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,668,141 times
A weed burner:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...000T/317191753

Hook it up to a BBQ type propane tank, light it off, and fry the weeds. It won't kill the roots though and eventually they will try to grow back. If you stay on it though, the roots will get starved of nutrients were provided by the leaves you burn and the roots will eventually die.

Or, you could put some gloves on and buy a bottle of Roundup.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:12 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
A weed burner:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...000T/317191753

Hook it up to a BBQ type propane tank, light it off, and fry the weeds. It won't kill the roots though and eventually they will try to grow back. If you stay on it though, the roots will get starved of nutrients were provided by the leaves you burn and the roots will eventually die.

Or, you could put some gloves on and buy a bottle of Roundup.
Roundup is environmentally horrific, and many weeds have developed a tolerance to it.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:30 AM

4,190 posts, read 3,405,823 times
EVERYTHING is made of chemicals, including you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden