Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 02:53 PM

126 posts, read 147,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If it hasn’t been mentioned hydrogen peroxide may work. Look it up there’s lots of info on the interwebs
Thank you! This is a very good idea that I had not come across and will try it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 02:55 PM

126 posts, read 147,661 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In all likelihood those fuzzy white dots on the tree are what are called Crepe Myrtle Bark Scale (CMBS for short) and if left alone they will eventually completely cover the tree. They are invasive congregational insects with fuzzy white or grey shells and they cause what is called Sooty Black Mold on the tree. Inspect the fuzzy white spots with a magnifying glass and compare with images found online, and examine the bark on the tree to see if it has black mold spreading on it that looks and feels like a coating of soot left from a fire. Don't handle it with bare hands, use rubber gloves if you intend to scrub it, and scrub everything off the tree with a very stiff bristle brush and strong soapy water (use dish soap).

Scale: https://www.google.ca/search?q=crepe...t=gws-wiz-serp

Scale images: https://www.google.ca/search?q=crepe...ih=592&dpr=1.5

Re: the paving stones - I don't like resorting to using chemicals if avoidable, other than soap and water on aphids and mites or to clean things. Sometimes the best way to deal with grass or weeds that come up between pavers is to hire a different handyman (or neighbour kid) to come and manually pull it out by the roots. Be prepared to supervise if you want somebody else to do it to your satisfaction. I do it myself and usually tend to pull it out manually or else trim the stray grass and roots around the edges of the pavers with a sharp knife or box-cutter and scissors. A weed eater with a nylon line (not a blade) is quite effective at whipping out stuff between pavers too, and so is a power washer with a sharp cutting stream.

Thank you...I did use the scrubbing the fuzzy white dots off and used soapy water to rinse the trunk and lower branches. All the white dots are now gone my tree is happy again.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 8,556 times
It is possible to do without chemicals on the garden plot, but the risks of losing crops will be serious, especially after long rains. It would also be curious to know all harmless remedies against aphids, spider mites, fungi...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden