Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 09:24 AM

986 posts, read 547,936 times

Advertisements

I bought one of those kits with the pellets that bulk up when you water them that has a tray with a clear lid. I have tons of seeds that I don't know whether they are viable or not so I decided to use that to test some of the seeds. Later I bought the refill boxes and I have more seeds started in a tray. For that one I used one of those cheap clear plastic plant pot trays as the top.

I was feeling like I wanted to be out planting but I know we haven't had our last freeze yet.

Has anyone else used those kits or pellets to start seeds. They are easy to use and I am hoping something will sprout.

Also, does anyone know how long seeds stay viable? Some of the seeds I have collected and some I have bought in packets over the last 10 years. I never got organized with them, most packets I used a few of the seeds and save the rest of the packet for the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 09:33 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
https://www.clearcreekseeds.com/seed-viability-chart/

Old 02-29-2024, 09:43 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
I have used a kit such as you describe. Almost all the seeds sprouted but they got really spindly. I would set them outside on mild, sunny days and most of them grew into decent garden plants.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:49 AM

3,508 posts, read 768,464 times
some seeds a little bit older can still produce ,,
https://youtu.be/dNI83UvOonc?si=nih7cWlZNAYzGffn

Old 02-29-2024, 10:34 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
An older former coworker used to use the old cardboard egg cartons. Fill with dirt, drop a seed and cover with Saran Wrap. He could cut each egg holder (don't know what else to call them! lol) and plant the plants still in them. Carton rots away.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
The expanding peat pellets? I don't buy them in kits, I buy them in bulk, in bags of 50.

Generally, I don't like them very much, they get too soggy when wet and they dry out too dry too quickly, so it is hard to keep the moisture level correct. However, they are my best way to start petunias and I use them for that. They are also magic for tomatoes, although a tomato seed will grow no matter how you plant it.

When you go to move your baby plants into a larger container, or into the ground, very carefully and gently remove the netting from around the peat pellet. If you are careful it won't disturb the root ball. Roots do not grow through that netting and it will strangle the roots, so take it off.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times
I've started seeds indoors for many years. I use seed trays and seed starting mix under LED (previously fluorescent) lights. If your seedlings are spindly, they need to be within a few inches of those lights.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I bought one of those kits with the pellets that bulk up when you water them that has a tray with a clear lid.

Has anyone else used those kits or pellets to start seeds. They are easy to use and I am hoping something will sprout.
Just curious.. Why not buy a small bag of seed starting soil? I used those pellets and will never do it again. Seeds didnt germinate as well and some pellets didn't expand enough. They try to market it as the next best thing. Just use soil and a tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Also, does anyone know how long seeds stay viable? Some of the seeds I have collected and some I have bought in packets over the last 10 years. I never got organized with them, most packets I used a few of the seeds and save the rest of the packet for the next year.
Depends how they were stored. Cool dry dark place? Click my posts below and see pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I have hot pepper seeds from 2013, I am testing them out here to see if they still germinate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

My Decade old seeds germinated

9 year old Tomato seeds doing well.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
An older former coworker used to use the old cardboard egg cartons. Fill with dirt, drop a seed and cover with Saran Wrap. He could cut each egg holder (don't know what else to call them! lol) and plant the plants still in them. Carton rots away.
That is a good idea. I go through a lot of egg cartons and I always buy eggs in the cardboard instead of plastic or styrofoam.

I have a lot of seeds to test. but not a lot of garden space.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Thanks for the chart. That is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden