Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 12:16 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So if you need 10 bags its gonna cost over $600??? For people who don't grow to make money that's not smart.

Here you go... Black Gold.. I'm going back for more. $10 for a 50 quart bag

You can tell its real compost and not sludge from the bottom of a river like Home Cheapos stuff. Clumps up when squeezing but falls apart easy, retains moisture nicely as this was semi wet in the bag.
Thank you for the advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 12:37 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
I am guessing that the "soil" is well composted organic matter, probably tree bark. It clumps in your hand.
The potting soil (raised bed material), is less composted fiber where you can actually see the straw, bark, fine branches. Varying amount clumping from falls apart to clumping.

Having a small farm in the hill country of the Willamette Valley (well balanced, clay, sand, organic), I find buying "soil" illogical.
But the soil in Western Washington is entirely glacier alluvial (sandy and rocky) which will not hold water. It needs clay and organic components.

Last year tried doing tomatoes in black grow bags with HomeDepot composted tree bark, added in some lime and small dosing of miracle grow fertilizer. A lot of bags of this stuff gets to be obscenely expensive. The more composted-more soil like, less fiberous.

This year, I am going to search out coffee grounds-there is a lot of this around here.

Most of the soil amendments is used to hold soil moisture. What you use is almost immaterial. Green House tomatoes are hyponically grown.

Last edited by leastprime; 03-04-2024 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-08-2024, 09:37 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Thank you for the advise.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Every year, in the past, Costco has had a sale on potting mix and I have always bought 10 of the big bags of it. This year instead of advertising Miracle Gro potting mix, they have Miracle Gro Raised Bed and In-Ground Soil.

I went back today... Good timing I guess.

Couldn't resist getting a few bags at that price for a 50 quart?? 10 bags would cost $80 + tax

Seems like they do this every year now.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:59 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I went by and picked up one bag, It is really heavy which makes me wonder if it contains actual dirt. I haven't opened it yet, waiting for someone to come along and lift it out of my car. I don't want to try to pick it up again. I can lift and carry the same size bag of the potting mix, so whatever is in there is really different between the two types.

They did get into my wallet with the two pack of bare root roses. I don't need two identical roses, but the price was really good, the rose is a beauty, and the plants looked to be in good condition.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I went by and picked up one bag, It is really heavy which makes me wonder if it contains actual dirt. I haven't opened it yet, waiting for someone to come along and lift it out of my car. I don't want to try to pick it up again. I can lift and carry the same size bag of the potting mix, so whatever is in there is really different between the two types.

They did get into my wallet with the two pack of bare root roses. I don't need two identical roses, but the price was really good, the rose is a beauty, and the plants looked to be in good condition.
They almost got more of my wallet with stuff too. Good stuff Great prices there.

It's heavier because its wetter than the potting soil. I'm thinking because the compost stays more moist vs straight potting soil.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:47 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
If you have room for a small dump truck to get in and room to pile it, I'd buy bulk locally before I get bags. These folks are right down the road, and we used them to initially fill in our garden, then my neighbor has a mountain of decomposed compost and chickens manure.

Valley Sand & Gravel | Soils

Old 03-08-2024, 02:48 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If you have room for a small dump truck to get in and room to pile it, I'd buy bulk locally before I get bags. These folks are right down the road, and we used them to initially fill in our garden, then my neighbor has a mountain of decomposed compost and chickens manure.

And a lot of metro area governments compost collected green waste and either give it away or sell it cheap to residents.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

I find it easier to move around bags than to shovel and wheel it somewhere but if you need over 3 yards I do agree, just get it dumped.

I wonder how many 50 quart bags make a yard

Old 03-09-2024, 05:45 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times

Old 03-09-2024, 11:49 AM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
Quote:

actual dirt " clay, silty-loam, organics" would be much heavier. Silt (very fine sand) and clay are very heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden