Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 01:06 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Every year, in the past, Costco has had a sale on potting mix and I have always bought 10 of the big bags of it. This year instead of advertising Miracle Gro potting mix, they have Miracle Gro Raised Bed and In-Ground Soil.

If anyone here has used this product before, what is it like?

I generally mix my own raised bed soil. I use the Miracle Gro potting mix as part of the blend I use to start seedlings, do the first up-pot of small young plants, and for heeling-in the bare roots that are shipped to me too early to plant out.

Because the parking lot is a nightmare, I would prefer to not have to buy one bag, take it home and open it to see what it is, and then go back for the rest of it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 01:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
While you may find it more expensive, I prefer to use Gardner & Bloome products. I get them at the local Grange, but some Home Depots and even Walmarts have them. I like the Harvest Supreme for the vegetable garden and they also have a raised bed and potting mix. Last year it was $11.99 for the 2 cu ft bag, but for a while they had a special buy 3 get one free.

https://kellogggarden.com/products/gborganics/

Old 02-29-2024, 05:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Every year, in the past, Costco has had a sale on potting mix and I have always bought 10 of the big bags of it. This year instead of advertising Miracle Gro potting mix, they have Miracle Gro Raised Bed and In-Ground Soil.

I generally mix my own raised bed soil. I use the Miracle Gro potting mix as part of the blend I use to start seedlings, do the first up-pot of small young plants, and for heeling-in the bare roots that are shipped to me too early to plant out.

Because the parking lot is a nightmare, I would prefer to not have to buy one bag, take it home and open it to see what it is, and then go back for the rest of it.

Thanks
I don't use any Miracle Grow products so can't tell you about it.

.... but .....

You shouldn't have to take one bag home just to open it and see what's in there before you can decide if that's what you need - ask an attendant to show you a sample display bag that is already open, or else get an attendant to open up a corner of a bag to show you. It can be taped closed afterwards whether you buy it or not. Failing that, you could buy one bag first and then ask an attendant to open a corner of it right there on the spot (or open it yourself with your pocket knife) so you can examine it in the store or at your car in the parking lot.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:45 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:

Since my compost pile isn't ready and I built a new raised bed, I had to buy a couple, I'll let you know how it looks when I open it this weekend.

They actually had both at my Costco here.

Nobody else beats their price for that size bag. 0.20 cents a quart

Old 03-01-2024, 05:37 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
When I first built my raised bed I used a combination of potting soil, regular garden soil and raised garden soil. Each year I have to add about 4" and I buy whatever is on sale. This year I got Miracle Grow garden soil from Sam's Club when it was on sale. I put the new soil down right before planting the first plants being it has fertilizer in it. I also put down some 13-13-13 fertilizer in the existing soil a month or so before planting time.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:44 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
.........ask an attendant to show you a sample display bag that is already open, or else get an attendant to open up a corner of a bag to show you. It can be taped closed afterwards whether you buy it or not. Failing that, you could buy one bag first and then ask an attendant to open a corner of it right there on the spot (or open it yourself with your pocket knife) so you can examine it in the store or at your car in the parking lot.

No in Costco, you don't. Nobody is going to open packages to show you what is inside and then tape it back up.

I don't really want to open a bag of soil and then put that open bag into my car to drive it home after it has been opened.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:07 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I raise my 400 tomato plants, 400 pepper plants and assorted flowers in a commercial greenhouse, this product is all they use for potting soil...it gives amazing results.

PRO-MIX BX All Purpose Growing Mix 60 lb, 3.8 cu ft. I get it at the greenhouse, but Ace Hardware carries it in my area....$56.99

Old 03-02-2024, 05:03 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
PRO-MIX BX All Purpose Growing Mix 60 lb, 3.8 cu ft. I get it at the greenhouse, but Ace Hardware carries it in my area....$56.99
So if you need 10 bags its gonna cost over $600??? For people who don't grow to make money that's not smart.

Quote:
I don't really want to open a bag of soil and then put that open bag into my car to drive it home after it has been opened.
Here you go... Black Gold.. I'm going back for more. $10 for a 50 quart bag

You can tell its real compost and not sludge from the bottom of a river like Home Cheapos stuff. Clumps up when squeezing but falls apart easy, retains moisture nicely as this was semi wet in the bag.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:23 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So if you need 10 bags its gonna cost over $600??? For people who don't grow to make money that's not smart.

No, that's just the growing medium...use this method for bulk material: Hugelkultur

Old 03-04-2024, 11:07 AM

239 posts, read 106,467 times
Quote:

Thanks
Miracle Grow is made by Monsanto. Look up Monsanto, this is the devil which is poisoning the world. You are growing cheap crap when you do that, hopefully not bringing it to potlucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden