Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,212 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I counted eleven in the front yard. Today I counted one in the backyard. They are all transients at this point in time, and have zero interest in the feeders. In another two weeks the feeders are gonna get hit hard, as there will basically be no major plants left to feed off of. Second week in October my feeders come down. No earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,796 times
This is the latest I have ever seen hummingbirds here in my 19 years in the mountains. None of my neighbors have seen any in over a week. It's been very warm and mild so I think they are lingering. Many years by now they've been chased away by cold temps and snow.
I was going to take down one feeder on Sunday but two hummers were at it mid-afternoon. I have a regular who hits up the flowers and feeder on the other deck throughout the day. I'll definitely give it another week but then I have to take them down as I am leaving town.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:38 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
Yes mine are still here too we are having 70s weather so they must not be in much of a hurry to get started south. I'll take it down after the first week of Oct. but this is the latest they've been here as well.

Hate seeing them go but go they must.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM

761 posts, read 832,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Someone just pointed out to me that you shouldn't hang them in direct sun because the heat spoils the sugar formula too quickly and can kill the birds . I moved mine to a place on my deck that only gets sun late in the afternoon.

Alice is right. If you hang it, they'll find it! Yesterday I had two hummers that kept running each other off!
Well, the heat turns the nectar sour and starts to gather black deposits that are bacteria.
It's the bacteria that can do them in.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Haven't seen a hummingbird for over a week now. I'll leave the feeders up until it freezes in a couple of weeks.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 AM

3,506 posts, read 762,925 times
mine are gone from north bama ...

Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
I haven't seen any for a couple of days but I just read I should leave the feeder up through October.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
mine are gone from north bama ...
Still got mine in south Bama . I've only had about six this year though, there's usually over a dozen humming around out there.

What's funny is watching them go up to the regular bird feeder out back, they're like "SEEDS, are you for real?" .

Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,212 times
For any of you in the northern latitudes of the US who are planning on taking down your feeders, or did already; Please wait until the very least, the middle of October. This is the most critical time of the year for are little friends. Many of us have little to no flowers blooming anymore, so now they will be relying on our feeders (should only need one this time of year) to keep them fed, and healthy for their long journey. You're not seeing as many for a few reasons. First is the locals have already left. Second is you are not spending as much time outside as you were when it was more pleasant, but if you were to pay close attention you would notice two to three passing through each day. These are the little guys coming down from Canada. The majority of them are females, and juveniles. The latter making their first ever trip, and need all the help they can get. I normally keep mine up till the end of the second week in Oct., but this year it is still warmer than usual, so I'll probably keep them up at least another week or more. Thanks for reading..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
^^Yes excellent advice plus with our weird weather patterns it is staying warmer for most of us longer in the north & Midwest.

I cleaned up my patio today torn out most the flowers that were dead or dying, tomato plants pulled up and furniture taken over to storage for winter. Left 2 African Marigolds and the begonias as I've noticed the little darlings have been hitting on those for about a week. Feeder is still up they were hitting it while we were cleaning up and weren't happy giving us a lot of angry chirping. It does look nekkid out
there now but painters are coming on Monday to paint railings & such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden