Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

The shady part of our garden needs remodeling. What plants are recommended for shade? I am interested in colorful shrubs and hardy enough flowers for zone 6. Also appreciated is reference to any website that sells them, preferably with pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The shady part of our garden needs remodeling. What plants are recommended for shade? I am interested in colorful shrubs and hardy enough flowers for zone 6. Also appreciated is reference to any website that sells them, preferably with pictures.
Well here is one of my favourites for shaded gardens. Although it has many varieties with varying flower colour, select a deep red variety if you can find one at the nursery already in flower. They can hybredize and flower colour be pinkish to white. I've wild collected specimans in and around streams and bog areas in southern California and Arizona in temperate forest environments where they are found. Here's an example of what I'm describing.

Interestingly they also come in a variety of different coloured leave shades and patterns from Burgandy to a Golden Amber or Pinkish or even stripped varigated colour as seen below.

Another interesting woodland shade plant would be Dutchman's Britches as seen here in the photos below. They also have a variety in form and different coloured cultivators.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 AM

Some of my other favourite woodland effect shaded plants are various forms of Columbines (Aquilegia). They are found in shaded temperate forest environments, even in the southwest. Their foliage looks close to Meadow Rue or Cilantro/Coriander. Here's some examples in order. First is the Rocky Mountain Columbine, with it's typical distinctive purple and white pattern. Also some other forms of it.

http://www.photonaturalist.com/posters/images/Colorado%20Columbines.jpg (broken link)

Next is the common wild variety in the mountains of California called , Western Columbine.

Then there is a variety native to Arizona/New Mexico and is entirely (YELLOW) in colour. These particular shots are from some tributaries around the Grand Canyon.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 AM

Another beautiful striking plant which does well in both full sun and shady areas is Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja). Many of these attract Hummingbirds and that's why I like them.

Then there are the Coneflower species (Echinacea) like the well known Purple coneflower Echinacea purpurea and similiar looking flowers like Mexican Hat (Ratibida Columnaris). The later on e is one i first saw when I went up to some mountain cabins in Ruidosa New Mexico. It was all over the forest flower under the Gambel Oaks and Ponderosa Pines.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 AM

110 posts, read 372,963 times
For shrubs:

Rhododendron, azaleas, mountain laurel, skimmia, boxwood, camellia's, pieris (andromeda), nandina

Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Thanks all for the advice!
bluepacific, these are beautiful, but you are talking about NM and western native plants. I live in NY. Are they hardy enough? Anther question is where can I order all these from?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
You can go to ebay, Wayside gardens ( Wayside Gardens Catalog of rare Perennials, Bulbs, and Trees ), white flower farm... just google garden catalogs and the like and a whole host of places will crop up... or google shade plants or plants for shade gardens... and catalogs will crop up... number one and two is wayside and white flower farm... wayside is in N or S Carolina and White Flower is right in CT.

Yes, most of what was shown is okay for zone 6... had to chuckle at the term Dutchman's Britches... the name on the east coast is Bleeding Hearts.

You could also go to your local nursery and ask for help. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Thanks all for the advice!
bluepacific, these are beautiful, but you are talking about NM and western native plants. I live in NY. Are they hardy enough? Anther question is where can I order all these from?
Absolutely all those plants I mentioned can be grown in your neck of the woods.

As far as purchasing, perhaps some of the other folks on the board can help you with those arrangements.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
I'm on Long Island and have mostly shade and some part shade areas - very little sun because of a dozen huge oaks LOL

There've been some great examples here, although I find coneflowers like more sun than I can provide to really flourish .

I too have Columbines and love them, as well as different types of Bleeding Hearts! Foxglove (digitalis) is a biennual and gets bigger and better with each blooming period .

Early bloomers in the shade are Primulas (low growing) and one of my favorites: Virginia Bluebells Something less showy, but beautiful, is Solomon's Seal (shade only!).

Last but not least, are Hostas! I have a large variety, from tiny leaves to huge leaves, green, blue and variegated; smooth , with lines, and puckered leaves...
And I have found Forget-me-nots to do well no matter where, and their cheerful light blue blossoms are a delight!

If you live on Long Island, or close by, I would gladly share some of my "extras" with you!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:28 PM

258 posts, read 1,175,859 times
Save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden