Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times

Advertisements

Just when I thought they were a failed experiment in gardening, I saw baby brussels sprouts on my plants today

Anyway, I picked oodles of cherry tomatoes (yellow pear/sweet 100), probably my last cucumber, and only a few romas (nearly all my roma tomatoes have been killed by blossom end rot).

Btw, both of my zucchini plants died in the last month, which is so weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 12:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Harvested a mess of tarragon yesterday, we will eat some in a salad tonight, made vinegar with the rest.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Just when I thought they were a failed experiment in gardening, I saw baby brussels sprouts on my plants today

Anyway, I picked oodles of cherry tomatoes (yellow pear/sweet 100), probably my last cucumber, and only a few romas (nearly all my roma tomatoes have been killed by blossom end rot).

Btw, both of my zucchini plants died in the last month, which is so weird.
don't know about your zucchini, but we are having a really strange year. Last year was on the cool side, especially nights (cool for us that is) so our garden might have been a little later but was much more productive. this year for, what appears to be many reasons, it just isn't exciting. We have had oddles of huge tomatoes, but they are about gone. Now we are getting small ones which are still tasty. Our orange cherries looked like they would never stop, but are not producing like a few weeks ago. My squash is just giving us enough to eat, but not to share or make any kinds of preserves. I do have lots of babies, we will see. Cukes are hit or miss. The best things so far, jalapenos are everywhere and the green beans just won't stop. I have noticed the last couple of pickings they are not tender and nice like the first month. They too will be gone in a few weeks.

Nita

Old 07-25-2010, 06:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,068 times
I picked a bowl of figs, 3 strawberries, and 2 Roma tomatoes.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
So this is really weird. My cukes are just starting to grow. It's almost August! I thought I had disease or something because they weren't growing or flowering. All of the sudden they've taken off and I have about 10 baby cukes on the plant. This is only the second time I've planted cucumbers. The first was many years ago and we had so many by mid-summer we were giving them away.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
So this is really weird. My cukes are just starting to grow. It's almost August! I thought I had disease or something because they weren't growing or flowering. All of the sudden they've taken off and I have about 10 baby cukes on the plant. This is only the second time I've planted cucumbers. The first was many years ago and we had so many by mid-summer we were giving them away.
this is just a strange year it seems. We have had some funny crops as well. As I have mentioned in the past few days, we are going to lose our garden early this year, I am not quite sure why and yes, we too are getting things now we usually get sooner. I just don't know from day to day what to expect.

NIta

Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Peaches and cream corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, and two hot peppers.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
I got two raspberries and two Asian pears.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,068 times
Yesterday I picked some tomatoes, jalapenos, a few greenbeans, and grapes. I made grape jam.
This morning I picked some grapes, figs, and a couple of strawberries. I will be making grape jam again today.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:40 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Yes, a weird late year. I got some strawberries last mos, & tomatoes this mos. My 2 other tomato plants are still all green. My peppers have yet to do anything, & my peaches aren't ripe yet. lol I can't seem to get much to grow. I'm in Utah, where we got our last snow may 24th!!!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden