Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

I love the basketweave design here, but think it would have been much, much prettier, had they worked in some "rose" colored blocks in the wall somehow. I

Last edited by beachmel; 05-14-2013 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 AM

Personally, I don't care for a single color. Some of those pre-cast stones don't have enough variation in their coloring and end up looking like someone sprayed the whole wall with a stain or something. It takes all of the "natural" out of it and it ends up being something that one looks right over, especially when they only thing behind it is grass. :-)

This, is boring....to me anyway.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I love the basketweave design here, but think it would have been much, much prettier, had they worked in some "rose" colored blocks in the wall somehow. I
Nice wall, very nice. Too bad that pink mulch (or stones) destroys the whole look.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Nice wall, very nice. Too bad that pink mulch (or stones) destroys the whole look.
That was my reasoning behind working some rose colored blocks into the wall. I almost wonder if that's red lava rock at the base of the wall. If you're going to make a choice like that, it would be kind of cool to work a bit of that color into the wall as well.

That "basket-weave" illusion is really cool though, isn't it?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't care for a single color. Some of those pre-cast stones don't have enough variation in their coloring and end up looking like someone sprayed the whole wall with a stain or something. It takes all of the "natural" out of it and it ends up being something that one looks right over, especially when they only thing behind it is grass. :-)
LOL! That is what I think when I see the faux-basketweave... totally NOT natural!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOL! That is what I think when I see the faux-basketweave... totally NOT natural!
LOL!!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
On the drystone walls in the UK...I spent many of my years growing up there and they are beautiful, truly blend with the landscape and can be hundreds of years old.

I didn't care much for the one the OP posted a photo of; I think I didn't like all the colors together. Too busy. It would look better IMO if the colors were all in the same family (red/brown/tan or gray/charcoal). I really liked the photos newengland posted....I love the natural look too.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:

This, is boring....to me anyway.
I like the curved one with the stones that are sort of the same color, a warm golden tone, but not quite the same color. It's subtle and almost natural. The stone surfaces have a texture that makes them interesting. I don't like that basket weave thing, it's too hard looking or something. Those bright pink flowers kill the whole look anyway, for me.

I don't think a wall should jump out at you with bright or clashing colors. It's just a wall and I like it looking like a wall, something functional that can still look good but not garish.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I like the curved one with the stones that are sort of the same color, a warm golden tone, but not quite the same color. It's subtle and almost natural. The stone surfaces have a texture that makes them interesting. I don't like that basket weave thing, it's too hard looking or something. Those bright pink flowers kill the whole look anyway, for me.

I don't think a wall should jump out at you with bright or clashing colors. It's just a wall and I like it looking like a wall, something functional that can still look good but not garish.
It kind of looks like the folks with the basketweave bed intended for it to be the focal point, at least that's the way it appears to me. The borders and walls should be the "frame surrounding the picture". Of course, that's simply my preference.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
It kind of looks like the folks with the basketweave bed intended for it to be the focal point, at least that's the way it appears to me. The borders and walls should be the "frame surrounding the picture". Of course, that's simply my preference.
Maybe that's why we see it differently: to me a wall is functional first, then it is a thing of beauty to be noticed.

Today I saw a lot more of the newer type of stone walls (I keep noticing them now lol) and they are three layers thick of rounded stones, not fake and not held together with mortar but on top the spaces between the rocks are filled with cement. That's probably to keep the elements out--if water got in there it could freeze and expand or in the summer, weeds could start sprouting up. So they do seal the top. The sides are pretty well sealed with smaller stones that fit into the spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden