Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM

139 posts, read 441,172 times

Advertisements

I'm an African American who is mistaken for East Indian. I live in Northern Cali and many times people of Afghan, Indian or Iranian descent will ask me for my autograph because (at least to them) I look exactly like a famous East Indian soap opera actress tan skin/green eyes). Ethiopians or Somalians will also ask me if I'm of their ethnic group. According to some people from the African continent an African is an African. They can't understand why some Africans are listed as "black" Africans and why Northern Africans and Ethiopians are considered "Caucasian" when both groups including Egyptians and even Arabs consist of white-skinned persons and black-skinned persons. I have even seen blue-eyed blondes (non-albino) among so-called "black" Nubians.

My nieces and nephews are of mixed race but look like pure Scandinavians with straight blonde hair and pale blue eyes.

A coworker of mine (blonde of Italian ancestry) told me that it was common for immigration forms to be pre-printed with ethnic descriptions for each ethnic group coming through Ellis Island. Her great grandparents were redhaired Italians with grey eyes but the pre-printed form for Italians listed complexion as "olive" and hair as "brunette" regardless of whether or not the Italian actually fit that description. They didn't bother crossing out the incorrect info and recording the correct info. If you were a brunette Swede too bad - cuz the form listed most Swedes as blue-eyed and blonde lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
I consider myself African American and I'm aware that I'm mixed (European) I'm like the same tone as Wentworth Miller (another black mixed person). But people are always thinking I'm white or Lebanese..same with my family. My sisters even has natural blond hair and lighter skin than I so does half of my family..but we all consider ourselves Black because of how we were raised..

Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
i just found out i'm a descendant of this guy, a bit of a surprise. doing the math, it looks like I am at least 1/1024th Cherokee

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,977 times
A few years ago I was out in Germany and was surprised how many people assumed I was German even though I was speaking English

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,300 times
I live in an area with a lot of Mexicans and I'm dark brown haired and dark brown eyed and tan REAL easy so I always get mistaken for Mexican/Hispanic. My Heritage is mostly English/Irish and possibly American Indian on my fathers mothers side and not a bit of Hispanic in me. I've also been asked if I had Italian in me (none that I could find.) I suspect that my Grandmother's Harvey side is Melungeon but I haven't found the link yet.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I'm a redheaded Slavic Jew, and most commonly mistaken for Irish because of the red hair... I actually had a guy argue with me about it, saying I MUST have Irish or Scottish blood. Nope, not as far as we know! I've also been mistaken for mixed-race Black & Caucasian, usually by Black people themselves - due to the "ethnic" texture of my hair, which is really just a Jewish trait. That's how you can tell I'm not Irish, if you know anything about the classic "Jew-fro." My brother gets mistaken for mixed-race even more often, since he's got the same fro but a darker complexion.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've also been mistaken for mixed-race Black & Caucasian, usually by Black people themselves - due to the "ethnic" texture of my hair, which is really just a Jewish trait. That's how you can tell I'm not Irish, if you know anything about the classic "Jew-fro." My brother gets mistaken for mixed-race even more often, since he's got the same fro but a darker complexion.
I guess the "Jew-fro" comes from the time you guys spent in Egypt.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
I have known many friends of Irish descent with curly-kinky RED hair like this:

Nicole Kidman
Hair Cut For Naturally Curly Hair. Nicole Kidman. Long Dark Brown Extremely Curly Hair Style Picture.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a redheaded Slavic Jew, and most commonly mistaken for Irish because of the red hair... I actually had a guy argue with me about it, saying I MUST have Irish or Scottish blood. Nope, not as far as we know! I've also been mistaken for mixed-race Black & Caucasian, usually by Black people themselves - due to the "ethnic" texture of my hair, which is really just a Jewish trait. That's how you can tell I'm not Irish, if you know anything about the classic "Jew-fro."
My dd's a red-headed Welsh/Scots/Irish girl-- with no Jewish blood, at least not in the last eight generations-- and a "Jew-fro" that would make you weep.
Not that I'm suggesting you're Irish, just that those who think you are aren't out of their minds.
Me...I look every bit like my Welsh grandmother. Moreso, sadly, every day.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 13,349 times
Interesting topic, what are the racial composition of the U.S. and Canada?
Do ethnic conflicts?
how different cultures live together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy