Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
It's because they're pretendians.

Urban Dictionary: pretendian

^^That's a riot, and I also loved "Indian Princess Syndrome".

I've met many people over the years who claim to have Indian heritage, and I don't believe them. Most are, like me, white people who grew up in northern NJ, and most Indian heritage around here is found only in place names and the occasional arrowhead found in the backyard. (And stone v-shaped fish traps in the Passaic River that have somehow survived.) But somehow they ALL have an Indian ancestor. Even though my grandparents knew THEIR grandparents and don't seem to have remembered any Lenni-Lenapes marrying into any of the families.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,310 times
Wink Omg

Iam french tex-mex,sefardic (spanish jewess) and apache, you never know, what your going to get, when the child comes out...out of 4 siblings...one is tall and takes after a french uncle, the twins, one looks like my moms niece, the other ,twin (her faternal brother) looks like my dad, me I look like my mother,but have my dads skin color...the doctor told me, if I had 4 children, one would surely have blue eyes...we were all brown eyes, but my aunt on my moms side...of 6 kids (she was the french,sephardic jewess,from europe) blond and blue eyes,another aunt,red hair,with green eyes...2 uncles,had brown eyes...its all very romantic,either way...at least to some of us...others are bigots...and hate..people and color...I wonder how their going to justify it,when they reach the other side...because "God' spirit...whatever...created us...right? God said, what you do to your brother,you do to me...

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM

271 posts, read 600,494 times
Because people like my brother, who maybe found out we were a tiny bit native american thinks we are full blooded now. My fathers great great grandmother was maybe half native american, the rest dutch/irish. My mom's side was irish/english. I consider myself whatever, mostly irish I guess. My brother is thinking we are all native american and is now mad at me for not fighting for native america rights. Ye gods, I am just trying to pay bills and get on in life.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:45 AM

3 posts, read 19,963 times
There is a way to actually know if your FULL native! Its called censes role! I can trace both my moms side for eight generations of full blood Shoshone. My fathers side is English which I traced to 1700's. It not hard to know who you are and where u come from. Don't say you don't know if your full bloods because I know my mom side is. By my count I'm half. My husband is also full Shoshone which we have also proven through censes. By my count my children are only a small fraction white. Known who u are ppl! If your ancestors are native doesn't mean u are.!!!!!! You are who your parents are.... know fact. And my husband does look dark skin and long braid down to his knee's. Thank you

Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 AM

3 posts, read 19,963 times
Just use cences role to know who u are. That is how we know my mom's side is all full blood Shoshone. And my husband is also proven to be full bloods hoshone Bannock through the same cences role. But sad to say my dad is full English. So I'm 1/2. But at least my children are 3/4native. Thank you for reading.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Black people really need to stop claiming Native American people and I really do wish that this "myth" would go away. Many Blacks who "claim" Native American ancestry simply do not know the truth about their true mixed racial heritage. It was seen as more "noble" for Black Americans to believe that one's lighter complexion was the result of some Native American princess, chief or warrior than to acknowledge the real facts. The truth is that the variations in skin color for the vast majority of Black Americans are due to "Master or the overseers creeping in the slave quarters after midnight"....nothing more and nothing less.

The history of how Native Americans actually treated (and continue to treat) Black people would cure this desire to want "kindred" connection with these people.

LOL C'mon now you seriously think more black people are falsely claiming to be native american than whites? Just look at youtube and this very same forum. If you want to see true mix between european and native americans look at Latin America. The amount of people trying to prove they are 1/8, 1/16,1/32 native american by searching through hell and back and reading all these theories is just hilarious.

I am a latino of mestizo origin, light skin like you, have brown hair, brown eyes, and can safely say i am taller than the majority of white americans, but you don't see claiming i am the son of a Conquistador!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,811 times
Many people have a share of other heritages that may be light skinned but also have Native American ancestry. Like me, I am part Cherokee and Cheyenne. I am 1/3 Native American but Very ghost white. I'm also anemic which doesn't help but I show many Native American features like my eyes, hair, cheekbones, etc.. Many people mistake me as Asian. But it has ALOT to do with genetics. Its like a family that everyone is blonde haired blue eyed and a red haired green eyed baby comes out. My family mostly everyone is darker skinned, brown eyes, brown black hair, etc... and I'm snow white. My friend is 3/4 Native American and she has green eyes naturally blonde hair but dark skin. It's all in genetics, you may be a little or a lot but if you're not full blooded Native American you might show different features.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
People who have enough European in them will stop looking Native American. I guess that's how genes sometimes work. I have a quarter of Apache blood, and I have my real dad's coloring but not really his facial features, it's funny.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,784 times
Well these days in Canada there's whole communities of "Natives" that accepted and mixed too well with whites. So now these people have little resemblance to their Native forefathers. But not to worry,many who want to be traditional natives are seeking out other tribes that have been strict about clans and membership laws and still look distinctively native, to mix and and have have browner babies with,they comin to water down your bloodlines,beware.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?
Although some actual homogenization has occurred in the last one hundred years or so, it's mostly because

most of the folks claiming such ancestry ARE in all actuality white!

They have relied on family folklore to tell them they are Native American. They have zero proof!

Nowadays, it's a popular thing (especially down south) to claim the heritage.

BTW,it's a whole other thing for them to prove it! Call their bluff, and see what I mean! Ask to see their card!!!

You tell me we are blood brothers? Be prepared to prove it!!! Don't just tell me some tale (I have heard a million and one times) about some great granny of yours being a full blood Cherokee. Right.

Last edited by picklejuice; 05-06-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy