Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Considering the consequences of that act, I highly doubt that happened very often. Black men were brutally attacked for existing, never mind looking at a white woman. Though it may have happened a select few times, the notion of black men raping white women with any regularity is the stuff of fantasy.
Yes sir. Remember Emmit Till.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeI View Post
I believe there is no such thing as one hundred percent pure white, biologically, I think that would be impossible. When European ancestors came to America they raped Indian women. Plus slave owners used to rape African women, and visa versa, black men raped white women.....
I think you will also find that in the earliest era when whites were being brought to the American colonies as indentured persons they were mixed in with imported black chattel slaves. There were voluntary sexual relations and consensual unions between the whites and blacks in servitude.

These soon resulted in a series of laws that forbade such relationships. And with the increase in the number of black chattel slaves indentured whites were phased out of the picture.

I believe that Edmund S. Morgan's book American Slavery, American Freedom: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia has some material on this.

Last edited by kevxu; 02-15-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marix V View Post
Some people do consider or think of themselves as 100% White. But they themselves could have had a 1 12x great grandparent, who had an Italian ancestor a thousand years ago, who had some African ancestry or something.
LOL, LOL. So you think of the Italians as not being White.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDaemon View Post
Like a person who is 100% white or 100% black?
Nope.

There's No Such Thing as Race - DiversityInc.com (http://diversityinc.com/content/1757/article/3062/ - broken link)

Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
An albino would be 100% white I think.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:13 PM

20 posts, read 85,629 times
It's easy to consider yourself pure white, if you're only counting the last couple generations.

However, if you look back far enough, you have 100, 500, 1000 ancestors.

All of those 1 thousand ancestors, have millions of ancestors in their own individual lines.

That means those are all your ancestors too. Can you really state they were all 100% pure white? I doubt that.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Actually it's more fundamental than that. All of the humans currently living are decedents of an African male who lived about 60 thousand years ago.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeI View Post
I believe there is no such thing as one hundred percent pure white, biologically, I think that would be impossible. When European ancestors came to America they raped Indian women. Plus slave owners used to rape African women, and visa versa, black men raped white women.

I don’t believe any group is one hundred percent pure, and I would not be surprised if lots of European-descended Americans have at least 2-3 percent American Indian blood floating through their bodies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Considering the consequences of that act, I highly doubt that happened very often. Black men were brutally attacked for existing, never mind looking at a white woman. Though it may have happened a select few times, the notion of black men raping white women with any regularity is the stuff of fantasy.
And if that were the case there would be many "black" women and men with a european haplogroup (which they would get from their mother), and there would be many "white" men or women with an african haplogroup (which they would get from their mother).

And there would be "white" people with an Asian haplogroup.

Which happens, it just doesn't happen that often.

This group the Khoisan are probably the most genetically pure group of humans on the planet:

Quote:
In the 1990s, genomic studies of different peoples around the world found that the Y chromosome of Khoisan men (using samples drawn from several San tribes) share certain patterns of polymorphisms that are distinct from the genomes of all other populations.[13] As the Y chromosome is highly conserved from generation to generation, this type of DNA testing is used by geneticists to determine when different subgroups separated from one another and hence their last common ancestry. The authors of these studies suggested that the Khoisan may have been one of the first populations to differentiate from the most recent common paternal ancestor of all extant humans, the so-called Y-chromosomal Adam by patrilineal descent, estimated to have lived 60,000 to 90,000 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khoisan

Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The only pure race I am aware of is the native Hawaiians that live in a protected invironment and are not exposed to outsiders. As far as I know they still live and die in segreation.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
If you are politically correct, a single species is a single race.

It isn't incorrect to categorize organisms with similar traits as different races. Yellow poppies and red poppies can be of the same species, but a different race based on appearance (gene expression). So, it isn't incorrect by definition to refer to people of differing appearances as being of different races. It is simply politically incorrect, coming from the thought that if society can be convinced we are all related that somehow people are going to lose their biases we will suddenly find ourselves in a utopia. But in the end what race is is how you define it. There is more than one definition.

Well, we are all distantly related to chimps, gorillas, snails, and probably anything else with DNA. More importantly, Being one of the same isn't going to change a thing. If immediate family members are killing each other what makes anyone think being of the same species is going to make a difference?

With all that aside, these interracial conflicts have much more to do with ethnicity than race. People don't care to live like other people, generally. Few of the people who preach and praise diversity actually seek it out in the sense that they are willing to live among other people.

As far as purity, you have to define what is pure. I don't know how you would do it. I see people here who like to go back in time to refute others by saying we originated out of Africa. Well, go a little further back in time and I guess we are all part chimps, gorillas, and whatever else is back there on the tree of evolution.

We now have DNA testing which can trace our individual origins to a continent, country, even a village in some country. These tests can determine race (as we categorize it), and percentage of mixed race and are widely used in forensics to determine the race of a criminal.

The mixing argument is both valid and invalid. Often, invaders were only interested in power and what they could loot from a region. In many cases it was rare for mixing of any degree. This was the case in Eastern Europe's Mongol invasion. DNA testing confirms there was negligible mixing with the Russians. The Mediterranean Basin where there was different levels of assimilation between different groups over the years.

And the most important factor in this isn't that someone was of another race 50 generations ago, but what you actually inherit. DNA testing is the only way to make that determination.

Many European-American don't have ancestors who were in this country prior to their great grandparents and are fully aware of their origins. My great grandparents came from Russia. There is no mixing of Native Americans or African Americans in my ancestry.

There is plenty of information about this on the internet if you care to take the time to look DNA ancestry. There is some controversy over it because science only cares about facts. Not political correctness, people's feelings or anything else. People who were Irish, as an example, and taken the test found out they had ancestors from Central Europe and weren't happy about it, thus insist the results were wrong. However, there were Celtic tribes in that region long ago. They simply weren't educated enough to understand the results. The politically correct crowd doesn't like it because they don't like different groups of people being described as genetically different, because, well, they want everyone to be the same.

At any rate, it is an interesting science and I recommend taking the time to read about DNA ancestry.

Anyway, here is a map of the genetic distance in Europe and a few of its adjacent countries. The results are laid out to show how geographic distance correlations to genetic distance. I like to show it to people who insist that I'm part Turk (Turkish) because I have Russian ancestry and the Ottoman Empire bordered the Russian Empire. They assume geographic proximity means the Turks and Russians mixed. The groups are very distant genetically, and in Ukraine which part of was once in the Ottoman Empire, the Ukrainians are only slightly closer genetically to Turks than Russians.

The Spittoon » A Different Kind of Gene Mapping: Comparing Genetic and Geographic Structure in Europe: The Return!
You can click on the map to make it large enough to appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy