Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Or they could have named her after the girl in The Exorcist.
In that case I wish the trend of naming kids after Presidents would return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
bjh

60,071 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
My husband and I are currently child free, but should that change, we like Frank for a boy. My paternal grandfather was Robert Frank, and his paternal grandfather was J Frank (he had no middle name so when he was an adult he stuck a "J" in front, but it stands for nothing). Both went by Frank, so I think we'll do the same if we have a boy - Frank as the middle name, but we'll call him Frank.

Jane is a popular middle name on my side of the family so I think we'd do that for a little girl. The first name is difficult because both my husband's side and mine have some frightful and/or "old" first names - Edwardine, Ethel, Dovie, Belva, Mildred, etc.
I once met a woman named Lloydene and, no, this was not in the south.

But that brings up a naming tradition that is probably best left in the past, feminizing masculine names that create an awkward result.

Ex. Thomasina, Willamina, Alfreda, etc. So Victorian in look and feel, you can tell they belong in the 19th century.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I once met a woman named Lloydene and, no, this was not in the south.

But that brings up a naming tradition that is probably best left in the past, feminizing masculine names that create an awkward result.

Ex. Thomasina, Willamina, Alfreda, etc. So Victorian in look and feel, you can tell they belong in the 19th century.
Lloydene??? Sorry, I think that's awful. No offense to the Lloydenes in this world.

Another trend I hate is the cities trend. My cousin named his daughter Brooklyn Cheyenne, and my nephew named his son Austin (I'm sure it wasn't after old Sam either). My husband's cousin named their kid Sydney (girl). My friend said she knows a boy named Memphis. What in the world? Personally, I don't like that. Someone earlier said they knew someone who did places as middle names - places that meant something to the parents. I get that. I wouldn't do it, but I get it. Our cousins have never been to Brooklyn, Cheyenne, or Sydney. I think it's strange.

I guess I could talk all day about the names I don't like! hahaha

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 PM
bjh

60,071 posts, read 30,375,811 times
^
I would name a kid Chicago if his middle name could be Pizza.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I've met three different people in the past couple of years who named a son or daughter Addison.
My boyfriend's cousin has a daughter with this name, which always reminds us of Addison's disease.

We're always saying "Addison, like the disease."

Our joke is that their second kid will be Parkinson, and the third will be Lou Gehrig.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've met three different people in the past couple of years who named a son or daughter Addison.
My boyfriend's cousin has a daughter with this name, which always reminds us of Addison's disease.

We're always saying "Addison, like the disease."

Our joke is that their second kid will be Parkinson, and the third will be Lou Gehrig.
Yes, I don't like Addison. One of my high school friends named her daughter Addison.

I'm not a fan of the 'dens either - Aiden, Jayden, Cayden, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
I agree with bjh. Juniors are egomaniacal. It's also confusing and it presents psychological issues. If there are other brothers in the family, they may feel slighted because the first son carries dad's name.
I just wish that tradition would bite the dust!

pepperment, if you do decide to have children I agree that those female family names would not be good choices. I am not sure why the girl's name - or the boy's for that matter, must come from the family tree. Just get a baby name book and choose a name that sounds good!

CAVA1990, What is so great about Bill, Tom and Jim? When I was growing up, the only people who had names like those were "juniors." Now I have two teenagers and they do not have any friends with those names.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 PM

591 posts, read 866,122 times
The tradition of naming someone after another branch in their family tree, as they used to do in Colonial American, particularly New England, where can find such names as Armstrong Winthrop White (all Mayflower family surnames) and names that reflect qualities like Patience and Prudence. Or the Scots-Irish in Appalachia that named their kids with scottish names like Andrew/Nell, or the Catholics and Dutch who named their kids either after Saints and important bibilical personages, or after great Protestant reformers, like Mary, Sarah, Martin and Mark.

I really detest madeup names like Fruitloopio Augustinoid. I mean, this is a free country, but my first name not only reflects an ancestor, but also is a frequent name in the original country my ancestors came from, kind of like an homage to the past. I identify with the culture as much as I do with me as an individual, so I am glad to be a part of it, instead of being some "western pioneer" than has to be different just to be "somebody".

Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,117 times
My ancestors on both sides were Puritans. I know its crazy but I love love so many names in my tree. In one family I had:
Thankful, Patience, Rememberance, Hopewell, Bethia, Freedom, Preserved, Silence, Hatevil (ok, this one is a bit much), Submit, and Mindwell. We did have our fair share of Sarahs, Abigails, and Nathaniels too though.
I think naming the children after a virtue is kinda cool, but people really don't do that anymore.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
pepperment, if you do decide to have children I agree that those female family names would not be good choices. I am not sure why the girl's name - or the boy's for that matter, must come from the family tree. Just get a baby name book and choose a name that sounds good! [/i]
I like for the names to mean something. Also, in my family we have a tradition of naming kids after favorite or beloved family members. It creates a nice sense of "knowing" or connection for the kids - at least it did for my dad and for my brother and I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy