Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM

853 posts, read 4,037,828 times

Advertisements

My family is Jewish (Aschkenazi) and not religious. Growing up we celebrated most of the Jewish holidays but did not go to synagogue. We also celebrated some of the Christian holidays, which started gradually when we were growing up.

When I fill out paperwork that asks background, I list white for race, Jewish for heritage/nationality (although twice recently when answering for a phone registration, they didn't have Jewish as one of the check boxes and wanted me to come up with a real nationality!), and I leave the religion question blank or check off no preference.

When I was pregnant I was tested to see if I was a carrier for Tay-Sachs and if I had breast cancer they'd offer to test me for a specific gene mutation. If I converted to Judaism they would not have tested me, and the gene tests have nothing to do with whether I am religious.

So, I would say Jewish is a nationality/heritage and also a religion, although there are always different opinions about this, even within my own family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
In what way are Jews an ethnicity?
eth·nic adjective \ˈeth-nik\
: of or relating to races or large groups of people who have the same customs, religion, origin, etc.

: associated with or belonging to a particular race or group of people who have a culture that is different from the main culture of a country

That's always been confusing to understand since perhaps one term is being used to describe both a religion an ethnic group.
[/quote]

Quote:
What complicates the matter is that there are Kurdish Jews. Kurdish is an ethnic group and they can be of any religion. Persian Jews also exist. So it's confusing. There are also Arab Jews.

I think there are even Gypsy(Roma) Jews.

That's why I think if anything its more so a religion.
But that is where you are wrong. My wife and her mother are atheist but they are both culturally observant. They observe Passover and Rosh Hashanah, to date, they have taken part in five of my nieces and nephews Bat Mitzvahs as well as my daughters. Being Jewish is extremely important to them. By doing so, they maintain a connection with Jews across the world just as the Jews that you cited maintain a connection with each other regardless of whether or not they believe in god, or follow any particular rabbinical tradition.

Frankly I think that my daughter (who is obviously bi-racial) strong Jewish identification is away for her to belong to an ethnic group without having to appear to divide here allegiance between her white Jewish mother and her atheist African American father.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamhainEveryday View Post
What autosomal DNA testing did you get done? I'm interested getting it done. I'm a female, but I have a half brother who my biological dad fathered.
23andme.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Was the Catholic babysitter Hispanic/Latino/a? Many Latin Americans have Sephardic Jewish ancestry, and many still due things thar were passed down from and indicitive of being s converso and a marrano.
I don't know, but yes, I've read stories of the "Crypto-Jews".

Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
But technically, isn't a Christian a Jew who believes in Jesus!....?
No. The very first Christians were Jews, but after that, the religion spread to non-Jewish places, and Christians do not keep Torah, the Jewish law.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i think jewish is a religion so it could not be detected with dna but it there was a group of people from a certain area that had the same dna that just happens to be jewish, it could be followed to that area, they will alway be some people in that group that share the dna that are not jewish, chritian, budda, what ever, maybe non religion. so they would have to be included but not classified as a jewish gene. but more these people from this area had jewish tendacy gene.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I tell everyone that I am not a practicing Jew but Jewish by heritage. The Jewish faith doesn't recognize me & my sibs because our mother was not Jewish-but our father was. We were supposed to be raised in the Jewish faith but the local synagogue wouldn't let us join. We did celebrate the Jewish holidays along with the Christian ones. People used to say, "Aren't these kids confused?" Everyone else was confused but we weren't. We thought everyone celebrated Passover & Easter as well as Hanukkah & Christmas.

I was later baptized in the Episcopal Church but I'm not a practicing Christian now either. I am a Pagan. But, I still light the candles on Hanukkah to recognize my Jewish heritage even though I know Hanukkah is a minor holiday and everyone wants to turn it into the Jewish Christmas. But for me, it is just a little something to honor my father's side of the family.

Cat

Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Judaism is not a race. It was a collection of different peoples, not one race.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
My family is Jewish (Aschkenazi) and not religious. Growing up we celebrated most of the Jewish holidays but did not go to synagogue. We also celebrated some of the Christian holidays, which started gradually when we were growing up.

When I fill out paperwork that asks background, I list white for race, Jewish for heritage/nationality (although twice recently when answering for a phone registration, they didn't have Jewish as one of the check boxes and wanted me to come up with a real nationality!), and I leave the religion question blank or check off no preference.

When I was pregnant I was tested to see if I was a carrier for Tay-Sachs and if I had breast cancer they'd offer to test me for a specific gene mutation. If I converted to Judaism they would not have tested me, and the gene tests have nothing to do with whether I am religious.

So, I would say Jewish is a nationality/heritage and also a religion, although there are always different opinions about this, even within my own family.
JFTR I'm a convert. The reason why Tay Sachs is so commen in ashkenazi Jews is not because of a long term shared genetic history. It's because Eastern European jews were forced to live in small insulated communities in eastern europe. They married within those small communities, as such the Tay Sachs gene evolved in higher numbers there. It's also common in some other highly insular groups like in the Cajun community, certain Franch canadian communities anlong with the old Amish community.
I agree about the "nation". That's what I often hear. One can be born into it or one can be "Nationalized" via conversion

Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
If Ashkenazi Jews have higher rates of certain cancers it's non debatable that they are an ethnicity. The religion thing is secondary to Jews. How many times have you heard a famous person say they are Jewish yet are atheist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy