Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times

Advertisements

The last couple of days have been really, really exciting for me!

I've spent more than 10 years actively researching multiple branches of my family, which is a particularly tough task for those of African descent, for obvious reasons. As such, I am constantly encountering brick walls.

Eight years ago I posted a blurb on the Internet that was answered yesterday by a family member in Singapore who is from the UK arm of my family. Totally amazing.

I've got countless E-mails from excited cousins, aunts, uncles, etc eager to meet via Skype, exchanging photos, friending me on FaceBook, etc. They seem like a fun, loving bunch. What tickled me even more is that more than one of them has done extensive research and they have meticulously documented it on the Internet. A whole new world has opened up to me and I am amazed at how eager they are to welcome us.

As an aside, I initially had reservations replying to the initial message I received because I followed the link provided to one of their websites and when I saw that there were no Black faces, I worried that our common ancestor had decided to "pass". I didn't know if they were aware that I was Black, or even that their great-great grandmother was at least, part Black. I didn't want to disrupt their lives or agitate them. Since becoming involved in DNA testing, I've been connected to Europeans who don't understand or refuse to accept their links to those of African descent. It's a common "problem".

This has been a lot of fun though. I only wish my grandmother were alive to share the excitement of these new found relatives who are closely related to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,406 times
Congratulations! I found an 8th cousin who lives in England, and a possible 4th cousin (haven't heard back from him yet). Thank goodness for the Internet!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 AM

55 posts, read 58,341 times
What a blessing! I am excited for you! I have spent the past year beginining to research my family and it is a marvelous feeling when you see their names in print. I cannot begin to imagine when I am actually able to talk to them.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
The last couple of days have been really, really exciting for me!

I've spent more than 10 years actively researching multiple branches of my family, which is a particularly tough task for those of African descent, for obvious reasons. As such, I am constantly encountering brick walls.

Eight years ago I posted a blurb on the Internet that was answered yesterday by a family member in Singapore who is from the UK arm of my family. Totally amazing.

I've got countless E-mails from excited cousins, aunts, uncles, etc eager to meet via Skype, exchanging photos, friending me on FaceBook, etc. They seem like a fun, loving bunch. What tickled me even more is that more than one of them has done extensive research and they have meticulously documented it on the Internet. A whole new world has opened up to me and I am amazed at how eager they are to welcome us.

As an aside, I initially had reservations replying to the initial message I received because I followed the link provided to one of their websites and when I saw that there were no Black faces, I worried that our common ancestor had decided to "pass". I didn't know if they were aware that I was Black, or even that their great-great grandmother was at least, part Black. I didn't want to disrupt their lives or agitate them. Since becoming involved in DNA testing, I've been connected to Europeans who don't understand or refuse to accept their links to those of African descent. It's a common "problem".

This has been a lot of fun though. I only wish my grandmother were alive to share the excitement of these new found relatives who are closely related to her.
I've found some of the same triumphs and disappointments as you. I found many Ashkenazic Jewish and other European relatives via 23andme and Ancestry.com. I even found a former high school classmate who was white who turned out to be a fifth cousin! I found two churches in the Philly suburbs that were founded by my German ancestors. Some of the Jewish relatives, many still in Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Belarus, were tickled as well to see where their shared DNA has ended up. On the other hand, I have also found people who ran away from me like rats from a sinking ship when I "revealed" to them that I was black.

I, too, was very apprehensive about going to the family reunions in small Virginia and Kentucky towns for people related to those branches and being greeted like I'm Mumia Abu-Jamal. So I'm not even considering it.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
Wonderful story saralee, I love it, I love it.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I am saving up for doing the testing which follows both lines. I have two questionable great grandfathers. One dissapeared one day after he didn't come home from work and his wife knew why, but never told. He was from Ireland and all I have is a name. The other if a family story, but my grandmother should have known who her father was. The one I find in family listings was a husband, but my grandfather was the second husband. Maybe its a family story but it seems unlikely that is all it is.

One think I'm hoping to find is a link to someone related on either line. Long shot but my grandmothers was a 'smith' so a less longshot than that. But I'd love to see who shows. No matter who or what.

People who agree to be contacted and then act stupid are pretty sad.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
I posted a longer version of this on another Thread but I think it is appropriate here also. My wife and I have had five of our family lines run on National Geographic/Genographic and it has been interesting. Her paternal line is exactly the same as mine. She was not amused when I told her that we must be cousins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy