Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 44,370 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting

Cemetery photos: permission required? | The Legal Genealogist

Findagrave came immediately to mind. Should anyone take the initiative to go through and search for pictures that violated cemetery rules, a lot of them may have to be deleted. I shouldn't think the memorial itself would be affected, but the owner would have go back and obtain permission to upload a picture of the tombstone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
wow that is really odd is it not ? I would so be in trouble because I take photos of headstones and cemetarys all the time . take care .

Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM

664 posts, read 2,093,707 times
Most cemeteries I take pictures at don't have offices to ask and I don't think anyone is going to mind as long as you aren't messing up the property/graves.

I can see getting permission to do professional photo shoots in a cemetery, and I agree with not photographing a mourning family, but to impose rules/fines on taking pictures of headstones seems silly. Seems like someone likes having control.... of everything.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
As long as the cemetery is not on private property or gated off, I just assumed you're allowed to take pictures.

At the cemeteries I have taken pictures of nobody has said anything.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
As long as the cemetery is not on private property or gated off, I just assumed you're allowed to take pictures.

At the cemeteries I have taken pictures of nobody has said anything.
You've been very lucky.....so far. Graveyards are NOT public domain and as such require permission to even step foot on the grounds.

The right way photograph in a cemetery is to find either the sexton or the caretaker and get permission to photograph the grounds. Failing to do that means you are trespassing and get into a real jam if some damage is found after you visit even if you didn't do any damage.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Interesting.

Considering many graveyards are all but abandoned, this seems absurd.

I understand actively tended places, which are still receiving burials, though.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Interesting.

Considering many graveyards are all but abandoned, this seems absurd.

I understand actively tended places, which are still receiving burials, though.
Absurd or not if you trespass on ANY grave yard you better be willing to run in to legal trouble...........

Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Absurd or not if you trespass on ANY grave yard you better be willing to run in to legal trouble...........
How about all of those little abandoned family plots that you come across back in the woods?

What constitutes ownership? I'd have to call a bloomin surveyor in some cases.

Actually, this sparks some wondering about who is making sure that long paid for plots stay safe. How many old cemeteries are slowly fading away into the landscape?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 PM

And what of those of us that visit our relatives? My family has been here for almost 400 years. They are buried in many places. I don't need permission to visit them... if I can prove descent, can I photograph their headstone? (obviously no one is going to ask for proof for a 200+ year old grave. Just pondering.)

Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
From the posted article:

"Now not every cemetery has restrictions on photography. Many small cemeteries don’t have those kinds of rules; many smaller cemeteries and cemeteries that no longer accept burials don’t even have an active management to contact to ask for permission. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to take a photograph in a cemetery where there was no office and no staff on site to ask. "

I maintain that in very old cemeteries the risk of "legal trouble" is nearly nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy