Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 09:49 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

With tribes, like Native Americans and my own Jewish heritage, a lot also has to do with how you are engaged with the community.

For instance, I went on Birthright with siblings who are Jewish culturally but who genetically are only about 1/16th. Their Jewish great grandmother married a non-Jewish man but raised their kids Jewish. Her grandmother married a Black man, but raised the kids Jewish. Her mother also married a Black man, but raised the kids Jewish. The brother recently had a child with his non-Jewish woman but he had a bris and will be raised Jewish in a reform synagogue.

While there's generally genetic requirements for Native American tribal membership, the affiliation is broader than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 02:06 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Each tribe sets it's membership criteria. A person wanting to be recognized as an American Indian must apply to the tribe s/he wants to be a member of.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:32 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For instance, I went on Birthright with siblings who are Jewish culturally but who genetically are only about 1/16th. Their Jewish great grandmother married a non-Jewish man but raised their kids Jewish. Her grandmother married a Black man, but raised the kids Jewish. Her mother also married a Black man, but raised the kids Jewish. The brother recently had a child with his non-Jewish woman but he had a bris and will be raised Jewish in a reform synagogue.
That’s a great point, and I think we’re on the precipice of families like this becoming commonplace in the American Jewish community.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Each tribe sets it's membership criteria. A person wanting to be recognized as an American Indian must apply to the tribe s/he wants to be a member of.

True.

That being said, my friend who was Native American enough to be tribal enrolled declined to enroll as her mother was a bit of a bigot and preferred that my friend hide her Native roots.

My friend would explain her tanned skin as her "Black Irish" ancestry & say no more.

So in some cases, people just have oddball or sad reasons for skirting around acknowledging their heritages.

Old 10-08-2023, 06:41 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
True.

That being said, my friend who was Native American enough to be tribal enrolled declined to enroll as her mother was a bit of a bigot and preferred that my friend hide her Native roots.

My friend would explain her tanned skin as her "Black Irish" ancestry & say no more.

So in some cases, people just have oddball or sad reasons for skirting around acknowledging their heritages.
I think this could be done and is not as big of a deal (though wrong in a moral sense) if the amount is very small, say 0.3% is Native American. If it's small but in a bigger category, say 10% or 40%, then that is an issue. At 0.3% you are likely to not have any features on display, at 10% you may or you may not, but at 40% it isn't a question of are features on display but rather how much.

While genetics is more important than social considerations because it is closer to being the truth, in society people go more by how you look than what you truly are (which normally people that aren't much mixed tend to look what they are most, but people that are highly mixed where nothing is a majority can have looks that are very different -they can look less mixed than they are-.)

Old 10-19-2023, 08:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think this could be done and is not as big of a deal (though wrong in a moral sense) if the amount is very small, say 0.3% is Native American. If it's small but in a bigger category, say 10% or 40%, then that is an issue. At 0.3% you are likely to not have any features on display, at 10% you may or you may not, but at 40% it isn't a question of are features on display but rather how much.

While genetics is more important than social considerations because it is closer to being the truth, in society people go more by how you look than what you truly are (which normally people that aren't much mixed tend to look what they are most, but people that are highly mixed where nothing is a majority can have looks that are very different -they can look less mixed than they are-.)
It all comes down to personal choice.

A long time ago people had to prioritize survival over all else. In times where saying the wrong thing could get you knocked down several pegs in life over someone else's hangups and prejudices....Most people played it safe.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:48 AM

322 posts, read 706,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Keep in mind, the %'s for ancestry estimates are not "genetics." The regions being examined are non-exome regions of the DNA and have nothing to do with measuring phenotypes. People looking at percentages trying to equal with appearance is not accurate. Ancestry estimates are comparisons against modern world populations of similarities. Actual phenotypes (what you look like) account for 1% of one's DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy