Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 02:24 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Idk if you've read much about the BIA schools here and their counterparts in Canada, but in many places, the children were taken by force from their homes. They were beaten by the teachers of these schools if they spoke in their own language — the whole aim of these schools was to whitewash them. Some were used as virtual slaves and worse by being sent to "foster homes." Some just disappeared.
Yes, I'm aware of the schools, and how the children were forced by torture and abuse to asimilate.

I find it a little chilling when people say "Oh just get over it and move on!"

How many children were buried on the campuses of those schools? How many parents had no idea if their children were alive or dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 03:14 PM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
This. Sometimes I'd rather be Native American than white.
But are you Native? If not, just be who you are and don't give your ancestry another thought.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:44 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
My late wife was 1/18th Seneca, but she rarely ever thought about it.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:10 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
But are you Native? If not, just be who you are and don't give your ancestry another thought.
No, but since early childhood I've resonated with and been interested in Native Americans. The California Botanical Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden) had an entire replica of an authentic historical riparian Tongvan Village in place until a jackass new director (white) offended the two main tribal people who were responsible for the exhibit. They removed it. The director guy was fired. Part of the village was brought back at a later date, but not to its former glory. The initial exhibit was absolutely incredible. Children growing up in Southern California need to know how it once was, and adults too. Growing up, I never knew what the area was like in ancient times. California was paradise, not the concrete jungle it is today.

I'm not content being who I am and I reserve the right to feel that way. I've always been interested in other "peoples." And to tell the truth, I resonate with people of color far more than whites because they understand suffering far more than white people do, although I'm not discounting the suffering of white people. It's simply that IMO white people have not suffered the way people of color have, and do.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:45 PM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
No, but since early childhood I've resonated with and been interested in Native Americans. The California Botanical Garden (formerly Rancho Santa Ana Botanical Garden) had an entire replica of an authentic historical riparian Tongvan Village in place until a jackass new director (white) offended the two main tribal people who were responsible for the exhibit. They removed it. The director guy was fired. Part of the village was brought back at a later date, but not to its former glory. The initial exhibit was absolutely incredible. Children growing up in Southern California need to know how it once was, and adults too. Growing up, I never knew what the area was like in ancient times. California was paradise, not the concrete jungle it is today.

I'm not content being who I am and I reserve the right to feel that way. I've always been interested in other "peoples." And to tell the truth, I resonate with people of color far more than whites because they understand suffering far more than white people do, although I'm not discounting the suffering of white people. It's simply that IMO white people have not suffered the way people of color have, and do.
This may sound callous, but I think you are suffering from some form of mental illness, a malaise and blame of your ancestors that isn't realistic or helpful to you. I don't think psychology is useful except for cognitive therapy. Maybe you should try that because you are obviously unhappy with yourself and as long as that is the case how can you be happy about anything outside of yourself?

There is nothing wrong with being interested and having empathy for a group you didn't grow up in but the identification you have of suffering is one dimensional and disrespectful. All people suffer and all people contribute to the joy of being human, why fixate on suffering? You miss so much of the cultures you say you admire by only focusing on the suffering. It makes NO sense and is quite disrespectful in my opinion.

Belssing on your journey and I hope you find some way to reoncile how you feel with the reality of your life.

Old 06-08-2023, 12:52 PM

Oh trust me I'm whiter than white LOL. I'm talking Sun Bunny Beach Girl from 1960's Southern California. I'm doing fine, don't worry about me. Aging is my biggest problem.

I simply have an interest in foreign countries and cultures. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think more people should get out of their extreme ethnocentrism.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:04 AM

I was thinking about this ethnicity/cultural issue... let me ask you something: which race/culture/society is more interesting and has far more incredible depth and connection to the Earth?

Answer: Native Americans.

Whenever I watch a documentary or a movie that contrasts Native Americans and white people such as those soldiers that stole the lands and forced the natives from their homes, I get a sick feeling. I also think those white people look incredibly stupid and ridiculous compared to the natives. Always have felt that way. When I was a little kid and sitting in the living room others would root for the Cowboys I was always rooting for the Indians.

Growing up in California I was fortunate to study its history (4th grade state history). That's when, as a child, I first felt a deep inteest in and connection with natives.

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-15-2023 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-15-2023, 06:13 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I’m 1/16 native (Cherokee) and don’t consider myself Native American. I’d have a hard time justifying 1/32 being native.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:15 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
The English language. I'm native American. My family reaches back to North America since the 1640s in Southern Virginia, from England. Am I native, sure. Am I indigenous to North America? No.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:36 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this ethnicity/cultural issue... let me ask you something: which race/culture/society is more interesting and has far more incredible depth and connection to the Earth?

Answer: Native Americans.

Whenever I watch a documentary or a movie that contrasts Native Americans and white people such as those soldiers that stole the lands and forced the natives from their homes, I get a sick feeling. I also think those white people look incredibly stupid and ridiculous compared to the natives. Always have felt that way. When I was a little kid and sitting in the living room others would root for the Cowboys I was always rooting for the Indians.

Growing up in California I was fortunate to study its history (4th grade state history). That's when, as a child, I first felt a deep inteest in and connection with natives.
Used to wish they would use real native americans in the movies.. it was easy to see the ones with blue eyes and tan makeup..some natives are the best looking too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy