Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

There are various sites for posting trees. I have one on Rootsweb. Sometimes I use the tree sites to get the basic info for that tree and then I try to do my own census and records research to add to it or back it up. However, sometimes you do have to take their word for it. Ancestry trees seem to have the most obvious errors (like a child being older than a parent or too much age difference between parent and child). I rarely see errors like this on Rootsweb or familytreemaker.genealogy.com. And often Ancestry has different information than the other sites.

Are Ancestry trees generally more messed up or is this mostly my imagination?

If Ancestry trees are more incorrect I wonder if their trees are just harder to work, there's more copying, and/or more of the users are newer to online trees. Rootsweb for example, is not your tree itself. You make the tree on another program (I use the Family Tree Builder from myheritage.com) and then export a GEDcom, so it does take another step. My family tree has too many people to post it free on MyHeritage or Ancestry. That makes it even more puzzling that Ancestry trees would be more inaccurate because you have to pay for most things on Ancestry.

I know copying trees can cause problems. I don't care if anybody gets anything off of my Rootsweb trees, but I don't guarantee it's correct, and if somebody sends me a note about it I fix it.

It just seemed that Ancestry trees usually had more obvious errors, especially in dates.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 07-07-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:22 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I've seen plenty of errors and unsourced trees on other websites, I don't think it matters where the tree is hosted.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Anywhere: the trees are as good as the posters are careful.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Anywhere: the trees are as good as the posters are careful.
What he said^^^. Information in the tree is only as good as what the information provider has entered into the tree. It's always a good idea to try and verify it by doing some research yourself.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 AM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times
Definitely a ton of misinformation out there, not all of it in the form of user trees but that is where you see it most often. I've seen "bad trees" on pretty much every site I have come across but I think Ancestry gets somewhat of a reputation because it is so popular with the general public.
The one thing with how Ancestry is set up, which unnerves me is the fact they make it so easy to copy information to your tree from another using the "hints" [leaf in the corner]. That alone is responsible for a massive amount of misinformation getting passed around by those who do not use due diligence.
I've seen some of that bad info. make it into blog articles even.
There are online genealogy site users and then there are researchers who actually take the time to seek out and verify the information they collect; many trees are not even sourced. Personally I rarely pay attention to other user trees and I keep mine semi-private (that is you have to be invited by me to see all of its contents). I do keep earlier generations open to the public to see so I can be contacted by those wanting to collaborate on certain people more than 4 generations back (mostly those born before 1870). They can be helpful but you must use caution when refering to them; when I do I look for the ones that are updated regularly and are heavily detailed and cited with multiple, respectable and verifiable sources.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
It's just your imagination. Ancestry trees are no better, or worse, than trees on any other site. One advantage I find to Ancestry trees is, I can see if it has records attached or not (only 1 is usually a sign it's referencing another tree).

That gives me an indication that the submitter has actually researched them, and not just uploaded it and gone away.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I use Ancestry now but I agree that those little green leaves with hints make it easy for someone to just attach information without verifying it. Also, the way Ancestry advertises makes it sound like you just go there are build your tree by copying off others. I don't know about other sites but they probably have mis-information too.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Ancestry gives you the option to turn off "hints" from other people's trees (it's in site preferences). I have done that because I have found too many tree "hints" that were a repetition of what I had or simply wrong. My tree is also private. I have had a few people contact me about my tree and I was happy to exchange info with them. I've also exchanged info with folks posting in the forum who were researching the same people as I was.

The fact that others may not properly research their trees or simply copy erroneous info from other trees is really irrelevant to me. Enrico and Austin are right, there is sloppiness everywhere and you can only control what you do with your own tree.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,970 times
I've found errors at different sites too. I don't mind sharing, but I admit When someone copied a relative of mine to their tree I checked theirs to see where that person fit in their tree and every person they had on it was private, so I have no idea if we are really related. I wrote and they never responded. Really I was mainly disappointed, we may have relatives in common.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
I have considered having different trees for the same family. One with all the speculative ancestors that don't have great paper trails. One that has good paper trails. And one that is backed up by DNA (a much smaller one).

Even a good paper trail can't prove that someone in your tree wasn't adopted, or the result of an extra-marital liaison. Genetic genealogy has shown that the rate of NPE's is higher than what most people thought. So chances are very good that you have some branches in your tree that really aren't your ancestors, no matter how carefully you've researched it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy