Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

How Many White People Have Hidden Black Ancestry? - The Root

“Bryc found that about 4 percent of whites have at least 1 percent or more of African ancestry, known as 'hidden African ancestry.'”

My family has deep roots in the South; my DNA at 23AndMe finds no African ancestry but a less than 1% East Asian or Native American admixture for which I cannot account with my genealogy paper trail.

DH comes up 100% European (his maternal ancestors immigrated fairly recently from Ireland and England). However, he and Dr. Henry Louis Gates are cousins!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 AM

322 posts, read 707,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Yes we we question you lol. They aren't rigged, that would be a *huge* lawsuit waiting to happen and makes no sense for what they do. Plus many of us have cross referenced our results against multiple companies and based on more than one person's analysis.
While I don't believe they are "rigged", DTC (direct-to-consumer) ancestral testing is not regulated by any means. Any company can provide any set of results they want. They can compare us to animals if they want. However, I believe these companies are honestly providing a service with the most comprehensive data available in the population genetics arena. The results are not going to be 100% on the dot correct for everyone but I believe they give a ballpark.

The only area under review by the FDA is the Health reporting. Most genetics strictly critique the field of ancestral testing, but this has not stopped companies from expanding.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
While I don't believe they are "rigged", DTC (direct-to-consumer) ancestral testing is not regulated by any means. Any company can provide any set of results they want. They can compare us to animals if they want. However, I believe these companies are honestly providing a service with the most comprehensive data available in the population genetics arena. The results are not going to be 100% on the dot correct for everyone but I believe they give a ballpark.

The only area under review by the FDA is the Health reporting. Most genetics strictly critique the field of ancestral testing, but this has not stopped companies from expanding.
Now that statement I can agree with. I think most people would agree. Calling them rigged however is very paranoid.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post

The FDA had no criticism of the actual DNA results at 23AndMe. The company failed to jump through the required regulatory hoops and there were concerns that consumers would not be able to understand the medical results. Since it takes a certain amount of sophistication to even order the test, I am not sure that criticism is justified.

Any hanky panky with the results would become quickly obvious to those of us interested in genealogy matches, since many people have multiple family members tested. If the known relationships did not match the DNA results, then the cat would be out of the bag.

Those who are upset that DNA cannot tell them that an ancestor was living in Paris in 1789 are doomed to be forever disappointed. You will still need the paper trail to determine things like that. As more people are tested, the ancestral results for all of us will be fine tuned, but much of our tested DNA will never be pinned down to a twenty square mile patch of earth. It's just not possible.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Should white americans recognize/embrace their African ancestry?

That is the topic. Please stay on it or this thread will be closed. The topic is not about slavery.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Yes! Everyone should recognize all of who & what they are!

It would be nice if people could just realize that we are all simply human beings! Le sigh!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
no because I have none

Old 11-17-2018, 04:21 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Of course, why not?

Old 11-17-2018, 04:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Troll post deleted. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy