Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
There was a blonde white woman on a talk show who didn't like that both her daughters were dating black guys. She agreed to do an ancestry test and found out that she had 6% African/black blood and 2% Asian blood. Interesting.
What was her reaction? What did her daughters say?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I know my background, and it is definitely a mixture. I am Scotch/Irish and Venezuelan. Yes, we have traced it pretty far back. The Venezuelan is the mixed bad. I am proud of it all. I don't see a reason to worry. Everyone should be proud of who they are.
Indeed! Consider taking the dna tests, if you haven't already. Sometimes additional things show up.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Indeed! Consider taking the dna tests, if you haven't already. Sometimes additional things show up.
Or in my case, fewer things than expected show up. Considering my dark, coarse, thick hair and very dark eyes, I expected at least to have some Native American or Southern European or north African ancestors. Instead, I'm 99 percent northern European! The other one percent is simply "european" with a note saying that such a small amount might be nothing more than "noise."

Old 04-26-2014, 07:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
In my post I didn't mean to say mixed bad...lol...and I can't edit it now. I meant mixed bag.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
In my post I didn't mean to say mixed bad...lol...and I can't edit it now. I meant mixed bag.
It's OK. I figured out what you meant, it just took a little effort!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
i wonder if the dna was rigged, just for the show. people assume that everybody has africian dna. with ancestry, mine came back zero. how would the show look if her came back zero too.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Or in my case, fewer things than expected show up. Considering my dark, coarse, thick hair and very dark eyes, I expected at least to have some Native American or Southern European or north African ancestors. Instead, I'm 99 percent northern European! The other one percent is simply "european" with a note saying that such a small amount might be nothing more than "noise."
Well, that's still why it's a good idea to have those tests. Allegedly there was Native American in my family, but if there was those traits did not past down to me because it did not test in my profile.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i wonder if the dna was rigged, just for the show. people assume that everybody has africian dna. with ancestry, mine came back zero. how would the show look if her came back zero too.
I think it's rigged to downplay African/black ancestry and overrate European/white ancestry.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM

204 posts, read 316,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
I think it's rigged to downplay African/black ancestry and overrate European/white ancestry.
Ever heard of "shock entertainment"? People wouldn't tune into Whites finding out their DNA is White.

As illustrated earlier in thread, the DNA results are inconsistent. A radio show not being fully honest? No-way right

Old 05-24-2014, 12:09 AM

43 posts, read 143,074 times
My grandfather was from brazil and he was half irish, half portuguese, African and tupi native. When he came to this country his family couldn't afford him and he was put out on the street. A jewish family took him in and he converted to Judaism. He married my grandmother who was a Ukrainian Jew. My father is italian from Sicily. Point is I don't look black - I'm only about 3 or 4% i don't get treated as a black woman. I have blue eyes, curly brown hair which I often straighten and light olive colored skin. I don't deny my ancestry but I also don't scream it from roof tops. Why would I? I have cousins from brazil and Trinidad who clearly look black although they are quite mixed too as are most brazilians. I was not raised around black Brazilian culture nor was I raised around Irish culture which I also have in that side, it's just not a part of my life or culture growing up. It died out in my family. It doesn't bother me one bit that I have black ancestry but I think I'd look rather ridiculous standing there pronouncing how black I am because nobody sees or considers me black. People usually claim the cultures they look like and are raised in. Some one saw a picture of my mom and said she looked like mariah Carey's music box album cover. Maybe so but she also had just light olive skin. When she got older quite frankly I thought she looked like hanan ashrawi lol I am assuming this comes from the jewish side as hanan is palestinian. I think people are all mixed with all sorts of things. Nobody knows by looking at someone what might be in their pasts. My husband is french and his skin is darker than mine - even though he's from France he has Spanish, Persian and India Indian roots even though he is mostly ethnic french. Bottom line people can look like anything and be mixed with anything. Yes I have slave ancestry but being that I don't deal with racism on a daily basis is it really fair for me to consider myself black? I have black ancestry but I'm never considered black in society. In fact when I was working on my masters degree I had these girls from rural Pennsylvania that didn't believe I was even Latin American because all they saw were blue eyes and my hair straightened with blonde highlights! I guess they were not worldly enough to realize Latin America can be a mix of many people and we don't all look one way. They thought all brazilians have to look like jennifer Lopez or something. So do you think people would see me as black?! I doubt it. I've only had one person ever ask me if I was part black and I was stunned because people always ask me if im italian or Russian which is 3/4 what I am. It's not about denying who I am which I never would do it's about what is a part of my everyday life.

Last edited by boredinBing; 05-24-2014 at 12:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy