Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My Son's DNA came back from Ancestry and they had no mention of Native American (His Great Grandfather was a Native American.) but when loading the raw DNA data from Ancestry into GED Match, the American Indian showed up there.(It was under ten percent).
Perhaps his grt. grandfather was only partially of Native American ancestry, even if the family believed him to be 100%. Some tribes today seem more concerned with their members sense of tribal heritage rather than blood tests, and probably for the reason that those who could claim to be 100% are much fewer in number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:41 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Bottom line? All just bogus claims of ancestry by ancestors who didn't want the truth divulged. That truth being they were of African (Sub Saharan usually) descent. Claiming native American explained features and attributes of similar proportions, etc.

This century and last ushered in a " hipness " to being native American. We've all seen the absolute starry eyed reaction to someone claiming such heritage. African American? Yeah, not so much. In fact, sadly such DNA brings with it stereotypes and statistics saturating a person with shamefulness and embarrassment . Add in you come from a family occupying any space within the southern regions of the USA??? You can best believe great grandma or grandpa covered up such links! They weren't about to admit such unsavory origins!

What I find a hoot and satisfying, is how the inception of DNA testing available to the general public has corrected many many years of deception, pride, and arrogance....

Well, of course, most of those folks are scurrying around like cockroaches uncovered to find anything to discount or explain away the reality of what they really are. After all, what pridemongering jerk wants to realize they are the very thing they despised and felt superior to?!

We true Native Americans sit back and watch "karmatic" (my word ) and apropos correction occur. Keep testing, people!!

Last edited by picklejuice; 07-20-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Bottom line? All just bogus claims of ancestry by ancestors who didn't want the truth divulged. That truth being they were of African (Sub Saharan usually) descent. Claiming native American explained features and attributes of similar proportions, etc.

This century and last ushered in a " hipness " to being native American. We've all seen the absolute starry eyed reaction to someone claiming such heritage. African American? Yeah, not so much. In fact, sadly such DNA brings with it stereotypes and statistics saturating a person with shamefulness and embarrassment . Add in you come from a family occupying any space within the southern regions of the USA??? You can best believe great grandma or grandpa covered up such links! They weren't about to admit such unsavory origins!

What I find a hoot and satisfying, is how the inception of DNA testing available to the general public has corrected many many years of deception, pride, and arrogance....

Well, of course, most of those folks are scurrying around like cockroaches uncovered to find anything to discount or explain away the reality of what they really are. After all, what pridemongering jerk wants to realize they are the very thing they despised and felt superior to?!

We true Native Americans sit back and watch "karmatic" (My word ) and apropos correction occur. Keep testing, people!!
Could you post your DNA results, please?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:

We true Native Americans sit back and watch "karmatic" (my word ) and apropos correction occur. Keep testing, people!!
I have a friend that suspects AA, been trying to get her to do her DNA, I think she finally did it with 23 and me. Most people I know won't care either way, whether AA or NA or neither. Won't make a difference. I was shocked NA shows for my son and his grandma because I was prepared for AA

Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I am about 26% Native American and some "calculators" such as the Eurogenes Jtest, see it as "Siberian"
Kind of weird.
I guess Native Americans are Siberians.
See below:

Population
SOUTH_BALTIC 5.57
EAST_EURO 9.82
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 12.77
ATLANTIC 13.66
WEST_MED 10.20
ASHKENAZI 3.38
EAST_MED 6.82
WEST_ASIAN 2.98
MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.11
SOUTH_ASIAN 1.63
EAST_AFRICAN 3.65
EAST_ASIAN 5.84
SIBERIAN 13.56 <======
WEST_AFRICAN 7.02

Here is my Eurogenes K13:
Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94 <====
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08
My Son had some Siberian show up also, and I was trying to figure out where that could have come from!!!!!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have a friend that suspects AA, been trying to get her to do her DNA, I think she finally did it with 23 and me. Most people I know won't care either way, whether AA or NA or neither. Won't make a difference. I was shocked NA shows for my son and his grandma because I was prepared for AA
I think your locale has more to do with that than anything else, although your age can also play a part.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
problem with native american dna is there is just not enough native americans in the database to follow a line

Old 07-23-2017, 04:48 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:

Actually, as I have repeatedly said in various topics, the majority of the sample population for Native American DNA is from Latin America - there aren't enough samples from Native Americans in the US for many to match it. As a result, people can have legitimate, documented Native American ancestry and not have it show up on the DNA ethnicity report. So how about you step down from your high horse there. Have you taken a DNA test? If not, maybe you should reserve your judgement until you do, because there's every chance even a "true Native American" wouldn't match the sample groups, or at least come back with a much lower percentage than what you're expecting. I've seen it many times before.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
My family also has the Cherokee story. It never made sense to me that they went all the way over to grab on to Cherokee when there's a HUGE Choctaw reservation (Neshoba County, MS) right there next to us, lol, and Chickasaw was just up the road a bit.

Anyway, when I completed my DNA test I expected no NA ancestry (had long suspected the Melungeon lore was closer to the truth) and if it was present, it was likely Choctaw. I have a small amount of NA ancestry that I am kinda surprised is even there.
Well, why not be of Cherokee descent? It seems like it's the only tribe people have heard of even though their family may never have lived in the lands where the Cherokee were. Are there people making claims to be from other Native American tribes? I agree with some of what people have stated here, that there is some romanticism involving Native Peoples. It's suddenly 'cool' to have Native blood- it's not so 'cool' to have African blood.

Me? I would be highly surprised if my DNA results came back with any percentage of Native American ancestry.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Actually, as I have repeatedly said in various topics, the majority of the sample population for Native American DNA is from Latin America - there aren't enough samples from Native Americans in the US for many to match it. As a result, people can have legitimate, documented Native American ancestry and not have it show up on the DNA ethnicity report. So how about you step down from your high horse there. Have you taken a DNA test? If not, maybe you should reserve your judgement until you do, because there's every chance even a "true Native American" wouldn't match the sample groups, or at least come back with a much lower percentage than what you're expecting. I've seen it many times before.
Not true!
BTW, if you aren't on a tribal roll somewhere with some Nation, you probably don't have a genetic leg to stand on. Most people I have met claiming heritage when pressed cannot even give exact ancestors and names. They state oral history that's sketchy at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy