Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times

Advertisements

Would love to know what the inscription says on the headstone for both of them. Can't read Hebrew.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...hoto=149585771

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Would love to know what the inscription says on the headstone for both of them. Can't read Hebrew.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...hoto=149585771

Thanks for any help!
Basically it says the Hebrew names of both people and the Hebrew dates of their death.

For the woman: Sarah daughter of David Aharon died on 16 Sivan 5705.
For the man: Jacob son of Yehoshua Mandel died 6 Adar I 5703.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
This may now help.
https://www.hebcal.com/converter/?hd...&hy=5705&h2g=1

Old 08-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Basically it says the Hebrew names of both people and the Hebrew dates of their death.

For the woman: Sarah daughter of David Aharon died on 16 Sivan 5705.
For the man: Jacob son of Yehoshua Mandel died 6 Adar I 5703.
Thank you so very much, I knew the first name of Sarah's father, but had no idea of Jacob's. I'm guessing Yehoshua would be the equivalent to Joshua in English I have no idea what the English version of Mandel would be It's good to know the middle name of David, I hope it can help me get a little farther back in my ancestry quest. I just found out that the names were inscribed on the headstones, I had no idea!

If I can find my Great Grandfathers burial place I would love to see if he has his father listed, it's been hard to find info on him.

Thanks again!!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Thank you so very much, I knew the first name of Sarah's father, but had no idea of Jacob's. I'm guessing Yehoshua would be the equivalent to Joshua in English I have no idea what the English version of Mandel would be It's good to know the middle name of David, I hope it can help me get a little farther back in my ancestry quest. I just found out that the names were inscribed on the headstones, I had no idea!

If I can find my Great Grandfathers burial place I would love to see if he has his father listed, it's been hard to find info on him.

Thanks again!!
Yeheshua is the Hebrew equalivent of Joshua, but not all names have a direct translation. (I’m pretty sure Mandel translates to “almond” because of the Jewish biscotti, mandelbrot. But I digress). And there’s no garuantee they used the direct translation of their Hebrew name in everyday life. If Mandel was an American immigrant, Mandel could’ve used Manny or something completely different.

Did you check JewishGen’s database? I found several gravesites that way.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Eldemila,

If you are on Facebook, there is a group on there called "Tracing the Tribe" that is dedicated to helping each other with questions on their Jewish Ancestors. There are many people on there who read Hebrew, Yiddish, Russian, Polish, etc. who will help with translating gravestones and writing on backs of pictures, etc if you post photos. They are a great group. I have learned so much through them. You should come join!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Eldemila,

If you are on Facebook, there is a group on there called "Tracing the Tribe" that is dedicated to helping each other with questions on their Jewish Ancestors. There are many people on there who read Hebrew, Yiddish, Russian, Polish, etc. who will help with translating gravestones and writing on backs of pictures, etc if you post photos. They are a great group. I have learned so much through them. You should come join!
Thank you for the tip!!

Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Yeheshua is the Hebrew equalivent of Joshua, but not all names have a direct translation. (I’m pretty sure Mandel translates to “almond” because of the Jewish biscotti, mandelbrot. But I digress). And there’s no garuantee they used the direct translation of their Hebrew name in everyday life. If Mandel was an American immigrant, Mandel could’ve used Manny or something completely different.

Did you check JewishGen’s database? I found several gravesites that way.
Mandel is a Yiddish type name rather than a Hebrew one and was common enough amongst Jews that came from Eastern Europe as far as I know.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:47 AM

Thank you all for the replies and input. Not only was that helpful to me, but it appears others too.

I wish I was better at note taking, but I am looking through some ancestry papers of notes I jotted down years ago and I came across that Jacob parents were Manuel and Yetta. I wish I had written down where I got this information from, it has to be from the internet, I have nothing else to go by. At least it sounds like this is a confirmation of whatever it was that I found.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Saw your post on the side bar. This isn't exactly about Genealogy but I do a lot of research for my Ebay business. I save all of my research notes via my email. You can copy web sites, save pictures, write down notes ,etc. Then you email it to yourself or you can just leave it in drafts. I move everything to email folders. So much easier than writing all this stuff down. And you can locate things quickly by doing an email search. Best of all you wont lose all your info if your computer crashes. BTDT a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy