Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:19 AM

661 posts, read 882,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They are using public records, which are records anyone could access if they wanted to. Unless you live "off the grid" there are always ways people can track you down.

That said, they had nothing on me, but that's probably because I've spent the best part of my adult life living in England and only just moved back the states a few years ago.
Exactly. Most of those records are from car insurance companies, health insurance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 01:36 AM

4,065 posts, read 5,650,752 times
They had one address that I wasn't surprised about, but it wasn't mine. Somebody with the same first name and a surname I had once skipped out on their rent in a city not far from here. Not finding that person, the bill collectors tend to go after anyone of the same first and last name anywhere in the state. When I got something in the mail, I called and told them it wasn't me. Still, the bogus address turned up again when I checked my credit later...not as a ding on my credit, it just listed the bogus address along with my real address on the site. I reported to the credit company that it was never my address, that I'd lived right here for a long time. And yet, that same bogus address still showed up on this site also. I think they get info from credit companies or from bill collection companies. Hmm...bet those Russian hackers have info on all of us!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 7,151 times
This site is inaccurate and as far as I'm concerned useless for genealogy. There are other sites that are public record sites that are far more accurate. Unless you are off the grid a lot of your info is public record.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:58 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,440,823 times
They had people listed for me that I never heard of. Only 2 listed were family. I opted out both me and my spouse. I guess maybe that is why I was getting collection calls prior to my moving for people with the same last name but no relationship. If they are this inaccurate they are useless.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,991,616 times
Is there a service that can wipe your public record? Similar to identity protection and credit services but the same for your online identity.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 PM

4,873 posts, read 4,816,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Is there a service that can wipe your public record? Similar to identity protection and credit services but the same for your online identity.
It would be, at best, very temporary, and likely lasting only until the next time those sites swept the public records again or until a new site came along and did the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy