Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM

47 posts, read 254,466 times

Advertisements

Well we finally sold our house out here in California and will be heading to NC in a few weeks. I have never done such a long distance move and had a very specific question regarding plastic storage bins with lids. We have several of these large bins packed with stuff that we keep out in the garage and we are hoping we can just put them in the moving truck as is. But I wasn't sure if it would be a problem since they aren't as uniform as moving boxes (different shapes, sizes and some taper toward the bottom). We keep reading on many moving sites that everything should be in boxes to fit as snuggly and securely in the truck as possible (which makes us wonder about lamps, large tvs, etc). Obviously we're doing all the packing ourselves so any tips from experienced movers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
I used a lot of those because at WalMart they were almost as cheap as boxes. They stacked well and the movers didn't complain.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleysea View Post
Well we finally sold our house out here in California and will be heading to NC in a few weeks. I have never done such a long distance move and had a very specific question regarding plastic storage bins with lids. We have several of these large bins packed with stuff that we keep out in the garage and we are hoping we can just put them in the moving truck as is. But I wasn't sure if it would be a problem since they aren't as uniform as moving boxes (different shapes, sizes and some taper toward the bottom). We keep reading on many moving sites that everything should be in boxes to fit as snuggly and securely in the truck as possible (which makes us wonder about lamps, large tvs, etc). Obviously we're doing all the packing ourselves so any tips from experienced movers is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Congratulations on selling your house and welcome in advance to NC! We moved here last year. We used a moving company, but did all the packing ourselves. We had all different size boxes and also quite a few different storage bins. It really was not a problem. We did another move a few years ago by ourselves. It all worked out fine too. I just got boxes from the local grocery store and used different size storage bins. It may have taken a little longer to pack up the truck, but in the end it worked out fine. Good luck with your move !

Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM

12 posts, read 31,488 times
Same here. We actually bought a whole bunch of the "locking" ones, with the clips that fold up over the handles. If you have those, I wouldn't be concerned. If you have regular bins, wrap packing tape aroung them a couple times to ensure they stay closed. The load shifted (one stack tipped over onto another) when we moved from Boston. You wanna make sure your stuff stays in the bins if that happens.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
A couple years back I brought a U-haul trailor full of breakables home from Texas. My Mom was downsizing and collected things like dishes...she also had a HUGE number of these plastic storage bins.

I wrapped things well and packed all the fragile things in these containers and nothing was broken from that trip.

There were some things that I put in carboard boxes that were not breakable. I put books in boxes that were smaller but I put them in a trash bag inside the box just in case somehow the boxes got wet. I would hate to see the books water damaged.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:

Thanks!
hi, when I moved from MA to Florida I used them and packed sheets, towels, sweatshirts etc., and no problem, I even was told all the junk in my dresser was a o k to go. These guys had a clue, and made my life so much easier. they also were great when I moved in. so kind and helpful.
moving the big furniture. to my way. I gave them each a 20.00 bill for lunch. oh feather so to say with the sheets, and towels
like doing a suitcase. and get that white paper at a u haul place to make it fit. you can pack books, toys, becare full with plates etc.you can pack boxes of shoes not a problem. Great you sold your house. My t v was old I do think the movers took care of it.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:49 PM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Hi,
I just finished packing a 3,000sf home for a long distance move......& I need a vacation!

We needed to get estimates from 3 moving co. to submit to the employer & all three major moving co. had no problems with items packed in the rubbermaid type containers. I, however, did wrap each container with that shrink wrap type stuff that sticks to itself (sorry, don't know name of it--but, I think you can get it at Staples?), so there is not the chance of them popping open.

The shrink wrap ended up being one of my favorite packing tools! It's also great for items which have long pieces & don't fit into regular size boxes, I just wrapped all the pieces up to they could be moved easily.

Our large TV will cost an additional fee for them to pack special & also, any large flat glass (e.i. table tops) they will need to crate for additional cost.

Also, another favorite, cheap, thing: a roll of heavy weight painter paper (brown stuff at any home improvement store that painters use to cover floors) & that worked great to wrap things or crunch up instead of newspaper because it had more weight to it.
Good Luck to you!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 AM

47 posts, read 254,466 times
jgmarie... how long did it take you to pack up your house? Ours is only 1800sqft but I have 3 kids, one has a disability and is completely dependent on me for everything and another likes to help me *un*pack things. Can I join you on your vacation?

And thanks to all who replied, for your very helpful advice. I'm so happy to hear that I won't have to unpack all our plastic bins!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 AM

108 posts, read 397,235 times
Default Just moved, lots of broken lids

We used ABF where you pack your own storage cubes, then they move them cross country. Obviously, they weren't as delicate with our items as movers will be, but just in case, I would suggest making sure your plastic bins are completely full and have something inside like packing material that is helping to support the lid. We had several bin lids crack and break during the move. The items inside were still fine, but I had to throw out about six of those bins.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:50 AM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Quote:
jgmarie... how long did it take you to pack up your house? Ours is only 1800sqft but I have 3 kids, one has a disability and is completely dependent on me for everything and another likes to help me *un*pack things. Can I join you on your vacation?
!
Well, I did do a partial pack last fall because I knew I knew I was moving to Raleigh in Jan. Now that our house sold, I came up a few weeks ago to finish---------however, it has taken lots of hours to complete this pack (thought I had done most of it before I left in Jan---Wrong! lol, found all kinds of other things to pack & get rid of).

Can anyone watch your kids for you a few days so that you can 'power' pack? Most of my packing got done when I had someone watch my 2 younger ones & had a friend here helping me. Make sure you have plenty of boxes & supplies so you can pack when kids are napping, etc...Those moving kits at Costco/Sams are a good deal. Loved Purple Heart, one call & they came and picked up all the stuff I was getting rid of---except furniture (which I put on craigslist for free & that went fast too .) Again, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues