Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM

801 posts, read 2,569,341 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone else has had to resort to a written list, or a spreadsheet, or something like that, just to stay in touch with friends who have now moved.

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep in touch with people who are now all over the country, without it feeling mechanical.

Some people only use Facebook, some only use Yahoo, some only use email, I have friends from a message board where that is their primary way of communicating, some just text, and only a handful of people that I regularly talk by phone with. So to read/send messages I have to go to about four or five different places.

I don't mind being that person who reaches out and says hello, writes a note, leaves a comment, every month or so. It all pays off. If I send out 5 notes during a week, I usually get 3 or 4 back, and that feels good, to stay in touch and still have a connection with good friends who I've known for years. And get unexpected ones too because sometimes other people reach out, and that's always a nice surprise.

I care about everyone but I have a bad memory now that my life has gotten so much busier with a full-time job and a part-time job. I have a heck of a time trying to remember who I have and have not talked to lately, especially since they all use different services (its not just one inbox to look at). So I'm trying to figure out a way to keep track, so I don't forget anyone, without feeling stupid. Index cards, a notebook, a spreadsheet, a bulletin board with little stick figures that I rearrange, something. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,903,031 times
The wide variety of communication options causing a bit of problem for you?? I see what you mean. You are sweet to attempt to keep up with everyone.

What is your preferred method?

I used to make a note in my address bk about this: in addition to written, also have E for email address or F for Facebook, etc. Handwritten notes are almost obsolete but yet the best to receive!

Or just a list of names w/preference for contact will work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has had to resort to a written list, or a spreadsheet, or something like that, just to stay in touch with friends who have now moved.

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep in touch with people who are now all over the country, without it feeling mechanical.

Some people only use Facebook, some only use Yahoo, some only use email, I have friends from a message board where that is their primary way of communicating, some just text, and only a handful of people that I regularly talk by phone with. So to read/send messages I have to go to about four or five different places.

I don't mind being that person who reaches out and says hello, writes a note, leaves a comment, every month or so. It all pays off. If I send out 5 notes during a week, I usually get 3 or 4 back, and that feels good, to stay in touch and still have a connection with good friends who I've known for years. And get unexpected ones too because sometimes other people reach out, and that's always a nice surprise.

I care about everyone but I have a bad memory now that my life has gotten so much busier with a full-time job and a part-time job. I have a heck of a time trying to remember who I have and have not talked to lately, especially since they all use different services (its not just one inbox to look at). So I'm trying to figure out a way to keep track, so I don't forget anyone, without feeling stupid. Index cards, a notebook, a spreadsheet, a bulletin board with little stick figures that I rearrange, something. Any thoughts?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,071,414 times
I commend you Summer22 for being so thoughtful and wanting to maintain contact with your friends! Many don't do that.

I don't know how many people you are talking about....but I like the idea of a spreadsheet, if you have the time to maintain it...or even a separate address book that you can make notations in.

As far as the separate inboxes since many have different providers: I'm not clear on that subject because I have one inbox and receive emails from people who have different providers. But again, either way you don't want your inbox overloaded and would need to create folders for friends.

Any of the ideas you've come up with will take time to maintain. And please don't feel stupid if you neglect someone...we are all guilty of that, and real friends realize how busy your schedule is and won't expect you to keep on top of communicating. It is a big task.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post

First, kudos to you for wanting to stay in touch with your old friends. We had a major move in the last two years and there are only 2 friends that have even tried to keep in contact with me. I am always the one to call the others and do not even get calls returned; I know people get busy but wow...
The few friends I have emails for, I just send them pictures using picasa and little general notes about our happenings, etc.
I wish I would have met YOU...your friends are lucky!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,496,905 times
In our 15 years of marriage, we have moved 6x.... it has averaged to about every 2.5 years or so....
We joke every year because we say we are cutting our Xmas list down and it ends up longer because of all the moves & the wonderful people that we meet!

I tend to stress over how to keep in touch with all our friends from all over as well. I find that email pretty much works best these days. Most people, even if they are on facebook or whatever more often, still use their email.
We send quick notes, pictures of the kids. I do still have friends that I will sit down and actually write a letter to the old fashioned way and always send bday cards....
Unfortunately, you will find those that don't reciprocate the emails due to various reasons, but that is the way it goes.....

I like your spreadsheet idea as well
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues