Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 11,928 times

Advertisements

Last summer we moved from North Carolina to Wisconsin with a 16 ft Penske. I reserved the truck in May for a move at the end of July. Before taxes and fees, the truck cost around $615 ($515 before). It worked out great.

We're moving again, this time from WI to Connecticut, andthe rates seem to have jumped quite a bit. Now, a 16 ft truck is quoted at $900 BEFORE taxes and fees. The change in route accounts for about $100 of the difference, but not all of it. I reran a quote of last year's route and it's around $800 before taxes and fees. Every set of dates I choose throughout the summer comes up with the same rate.

U-Haul and U-Pack (neither of which I want to do) both climbed, too. Penske remains the cheapest option, but I balked at the price. Especially because we need to upgrade to a 20-footer: close to $1200!

Any idea why the rates have climbed so much? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comandantedavid View Post

Thanks.

Feeling stupid, but still confused. I realized that the move is more expensive going from Midwest to East Coast than it was going East to Midwest. I guess that reflects overall moving trends and the cost to them to drive the truck back to Middle America?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,945 times
Quote:
Feeling stupid, but still confused. I realized that the move is more expensive going from Midwest to East Coast than it was going East to Midwest. I guess that reflects overall moving trends and the cost to them to drive the truck back to Middle America?
Rates can climb simply because the company has to many trucks in the area you are moving to, and they need to get some equipment out of there, not get more equipment in.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Basically I suspect that demand is higher than when you moved. Alot of people moving in this economy it seems.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,441 times
Quote:
Last summer we moved from North Carolina to Wisconsin with a 16 ft Penske. I reserved the truck in May for a move at the end of July. Before taxes and fees, the truck cost around $615 ($515 before). It worked out great.

We're moving again, this time from WI to Connecticut, andthe rates seem to have jumped quite a bit. Now, a 16 ft truck is quoted at $900 BEFORE taxes and fees. The change in route accounts for about $100 of the difference, but not all of it. I reran a quote of last year's route and it's around $800 before taxes and fees. Every set of dates I choose throughout the summer comes up with the same rate.

U-Haul and U-Pack (neither of which I want to do) both climbed, too. Penske remains the cheapest option, but I balked at the price. Especially because we need to upgrade to a 20-footer: close to $1200!

Thanks.
Try Budget Rental Trucks. I've used them this year and their pretty good. You can also go on-line and find discounts of up to 30% or google discounts from Budget. I used to use U-Haul but they are so expensive now and their trucks are old, used up and dirty that I couldn't justify using them anymore.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:12 AM

512 posts, read 947,807 times
Penske gives a discount if you are an AAA member.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Supply and demand does seem to account for it. Thankfully we are AAA members, and my wife's employer is contributing to the relocation costs.

Budget and Penske come out about the same for this move. I had a great experience with Penske last year, so I'll stick with them for now. Hopefully it goes similarly.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,290 times
Locationists!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
During the recession of the early 90s, I called about renting a small moving truck to move from CA to MO. I was quoted $1100. But the cost to rent the same truck from MO to CA was $310.

Supply and demand and location are the reasons for the price difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues