Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 41,790 times

Advertisements

I will be moving cross country and have reserved a Penske 22' truck. I also own a 2001 Silverado ext cab LT 4WD truck. The car haul trailers that Penske, Uhaul, Budget all rent say that my truck will not fit. My WB is 143". Anyone know if it could still squeeze on? The other option is the tow dolly. However, I am concerned about burning up the differential/transmission. I have the on dash electric shift for the 4WD; I can put it into neutral this way but does this simply disengage the rear differential with everything still spinning but not oiled? Do I have to disconnect the driveshaft if I want to pull it on a tow dolly? Please help and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
You need to be careful about the idea of putting the truck on a tow trailer. If it is too big, then it will be overrated for the trailer and that could be hazardous.

Yes, you can move a Silverado 4WD on a tow dolly. Yes, you need to disconnect the drive shaft to do it. The Chevy brand can be towed a short distance without disconnecting the drive shaft - but, needs to be a short, slow move. I wouldn't recommend for cross country.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM

334 posts, read 520,709 times
With a chevy you can put the transfer case in neutral and to it to abu dabi with no issue. Btw I drive a wrecker for a living and that is out of the aaa manual

Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM

288 posts, read 717,148 times
From personal experience I would caution driving a 22' truck and towing anything behind it. Unless you have a lot of experience it could be very nerve wracking. I did the opposite in that I towed the largest Uhaul trailer behind my Jeep Grand Cherokee from Virginia to Texas. The tractor trailer drivers show NO mercy driving on the highways! They drive very fast too! Just before a bridge in Little Rock, Arkansas a woman driving an 18-wheeler slammed into the back of my Uhaul - must likely not paying attention or something. I never got a straight response. I didn't know what the hell was happening when the BOOM happened as I had tunnel vision and my heart racing 1000 beats per second and the large trailer swaying back and forth behind me. Very scary to say the least. Cops came to take statements. It took 4.5 hours for a guy to come and fix a wheel on the trailer. I am very lucky that a crash did not occur as there were tons of other cars around me. I held on for dear life.

No offense, but the fact that you are asking if your vehicle could "squeeze on" as well as if you need to disconnect the drive shaft tells me you are not ready to tow. Towing is very difficult for someone who does not do so for a living.

I recommend finding a way to either ship the vehicle separately or just sell it and get a new one at your destination.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaa987 View Post
I will be moving cross country and have reserved a Penske 22' truck. I also own a 2001 Silverado ext cab LT 4WD truck. The car haul trailers that Penske, Uhaul, Budget all rent say that my truck will not fit. My WB is 143". Anyone know if it could still squeeze on? The other option is the tow dolly. However, I am concerned about burning up the differential/transmission. I have the on dash electric shift for the 4WD; I can put it into neutral this way but does this simply disengage the rear differential with everything still spinning but not oiled? Do I have to disconnect the driveshaft if I want to pull it on a tow dolly? Please help and thanks in advance.
I wouldn't advise trailering or dollying it behind the rental truck. Anytime you are trailering, there is a certain at speed "sway factor" that has to be considered. Unfortunately, the calculations used by the rental truck companies are already dangerously above what they should be. Add in that you are already on the edge with your vehicle based on their calculations and you would be asking for an accident. Mountains, curves, high winds, you will experence all of them in a cross country trip. If you are married or traveling with a companion, I suggest driving both vehicles and switching off ever 3 hours or so. If you are making the move yourself, try and talk a buddy into coming along and you cover the return airfare. Good luck with your move

Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 33,577 times
I need to tow a 2006 Chevy silversdo ss dose anyone know where to rent a trailer to do this

Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy ss View Post
I need to tow a 2006 Chevy silversdo ss dose anyone know where to rent a trailer to do this
Um.. Budget, Uhaul .. They both have car carriers that are big enough for a typical wheel base. If the truck has any special mods that cause it to be abnormal from a stock suspension, then you may need to go with a specialized transport service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues