Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:13 AM

56 posts, read 185,338 times

Advertisements

I am really confused right now!

I just need a little insight from people that I don't know...I live in FL and was recently accepted to interview for a year long internship program called the "Mountbatten Institute". Now, this program is based out of NYC and they provide internships to recent college grads who want to live and work abroad for a year, which is something I had been interested in for quite some time. So, in order for me to placed with an employer (they have various employers that work with) in London, I have to interview in NYC. I will have to pay for all of my own traveling expenses (flying to NY, hotel, etc.) all for this interview, which carries the possibility of not even getting hired by one of the employers at all.

I guess I am concerned about the financial aspect of this whole thing. I've been to NYC many times, so this interview will not be much of a vacation for me! I'm also wary of the credibility of the program; will it be worth it for me to invest $10,000 (cost of the program) into working as an intern (full-time) for a year? They do provide housing, and a stipend (albeit VERY modest). At this point in time, my credit is pretty bad, so even being approved for a loan might not be feasible. I also need a new car!

The interview is this weekend, and I debating on whether or not I should just cancel the whole thing and save my money for more practical things...or take a risk on this. If I do, I want it to be worth my time and money! But, I also don't want to be $10,000 in hole when I return to the US, still with bad credit, no car, and internship experience that may not prove worthwhile. All practicalities aside, I am very interested in at least traveling abroad! It seems like an amazing opportunity, but I am trying to keep my feet on the ground as much as I can. Please give me some advice!!! lol. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
The question of whether you should take opportunities for travel and new experiences? Yes.
An almost unqualified yes to just about any opportunity at your age even if it means a zero sum financial gain in the process (= salary gets absorbed by living and travel expenses) for a year or two.

The question of whether to rush or be rushed into finding out about such opportunities and by that to take on speculative expenses and dealing with agents with pretentious names like "Mountbatten Institute"? No.

An almost unqualified no.
If you had plans or reasons to be in NYC anyway? Then sure go and meet and see and learn.

But as to paying a big damned pile of money up front for such an opportunity?
No freaking way.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would review by googling the instittute. Remmeber you will be working full time and the 10'000 out of pocket. It really doesn't sound like you can afford it from your description of your finances.From the acedemic stand pou tit looks alike a oprgram you can't fial so the MBA maybe suspect but the experience worth while if you can afford it.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
See comment in your duplicate thread.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
I could be wrong (it has happened, but don't tell my DH) but this sounds like a scam to me. I have friends who have gotten jobs with oil companies, fire and rescue overseas, and they have NEVER had to pay $10,000 - or $5,000 - or anything. The 'headhunters' sought them out, and their new employers paid the costs and fees; everything from interviewing them to flying them over.

If you want to go to the UK, why not apply at companies that are international with offices in the UK? Don't be shy; tell them that one of the reasons you want to work for them is that you want to travel and work internationally. You could work here for awhile, prove yourself, and then when an opening comes up, you could apply for it. Since you are already in their system, they would be more likely hire from within. They would pay your way - plus you would be MAKING money, not owing it.

You could do the same thing that this "Mountbatten" group is promising to do for you - and get PAID to do it. It might take a little longer, and be a little harder - you would have to do your OWN research and legwork. But remember, there is no free lunch - and this "bangers and mash" they are promising you sounds too costly for what you are supposed to be getting. This group sounds an awful lot like the "Pay $29.95 and be on the list of Who's Who in American Colleges!" - just another way for people to make money off of gullible, eager people who think that the mere act of paying for something makes it valuable. JMHO.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
I agree with the above poster - it seems weird that you should have to pay them $10,00 to go work over there. What kind of work is it?

I have several friends who have done programs where they went to another country after undergrad and taught english in schools - but they were paid an income (and while not excessive, it is at least what teachers in the states make) along with being provided housing. I'm not sure about what else was provided for them, but I'm pretty sure airfare to and from the country for the initial and final travel was also provided by the company.

In this 'internship' are you learning anything? It seems weird that you would pay $10,00 up front to do an 'internship' where you work and are provided housing and a small stipend. Are you also paid an income? Does this income more than cover the initial $10,000? Do they fly you to the UK?

Traveling or working abroad is a fantastic opportunity, but it sounds like you need to research this company a little further and really evaluate the offer. If you will be over there working full time and not making much money it doesn't sound like you will be enjoying living there.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,995 times
I've just interviewed over a week ago, and am amazed at the responses. i was recommended by my careers services and have a friend returning from the program.

all i can say is that if you can afford it, it sounds like a great opportunity. I was hesitant but more reassured from going, and my friend who is over there.

If you cant afford it thats a different question and the only concern you should have. But at the very least I can atest to the validity of the program.good luck

PS. i think they have a facebook page but i cant check from my work pc!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:52 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
it seems weird that you should have to pay them $10,00 to go work over there. What kind of work is it?
It's called the Mountbatten Institute, which to me suggests a school - not an employment agency. So I would judge it on that basis - and honestly, paying $10,000 for a year abroad? And getting a place to stay and an internship? Sounds good to me! Even if all he got was the place to stay, it could be a good deal.

There's very little chance that a recent college graduate has the skills or experience to be of interest to a company in London - so if the original poster wants to do an internship in London, a program like this may be one of the only ways. And just think how good that internship will look on his resume, once he gets back home!

rivermeetsanend, I think you might regret it, if you pass on this. And for sure don't let the car thing stand in your way - you won't need a car for the year that you're gone! And when you get back, you can figure it out.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I am consistently amazed at the nmber of people who come to CD asking opinions of others instead of using something like Google.

Google

Do a little research of your own. You are a college grad, right?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Hopeful View Post
I've just interviewed over a week ago, and am amazed at the responses. i was recommended by my careers services and have a friend returning from the program.

all i can say is that if you can afford it, it sounds like a great opportunity. I was hesitant but more reassured from going, and my friend who is over there.

If you cant afford it thats a different question and the only concern you should have. But at the very least I can atest to the validity of the program.good luck

PS. i think they have a facebook page but i cant check from my work pc!
If this poster isn't associated with this "institute" I'll eat my hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues