Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 66,705 times

Advertisements

Have you used Mayflower movers or heard anything about them?

I've been searching this site for information on Mayflower moving company but have not been able to find any threads with feedback or reviews.

I'm looking for a cross-country moving company to move from Chicago to Boston this summer.

Mayflower's rates and service seemed fair but I'd like to hear personal experiences before committing.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:29 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Yeah. I'm from Baltimore where NO former Colt Fan will ever use them

Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Fortunately, the van wouldn't be driving through Maryland to get to Boston. Otherwise, I might be concerned...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,010 times
Mayflower is one of the top five van lines in North America. In 2009, J.D. Powers rated Mayflower Transit LLC the #1 full-service moving company in the U.S.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ne-moving.html

As always it's best to get several estimates from several competing carriers. There are plenty of good options in the Chicago market. Allied, Atlas and United Van lines all have several goods agents in or around the city. If you live near downtown, plan on having a shuttle at both ends of your move and paying for parking permits in Boston.

Book early! Some movers are already issuing summer booking or pricing restrictions due to reduced capacity this year.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info, RikkiTikki.

There seem to be a number of moving companies with "Mayflower" in their name - and most have bad reviews. Unfortunately, those were cluttering my search results. Good to hear "the original Mayflower" is still relevant and reputable.

I scheduled a few appointments (Mayflower, United, Allied) next week to receive quotes.

I'll try to remember to post the results of my experience.

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
I have recently moved and posted and read posts about movers. One additional way to check is with the BBB in your current residence city. Also, the Internet has a few sites with personal reviews and experiences.

I used Allied and all went ok. In my area, they are full-up with scheduled moves for awhile....plan early.

And good luck~
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaws View Post
Have you used Mayflower movers or heard anything about them?

I've been searching this site for information on Mayflower moving company but have not been able to find any threads with feedback or reviews.

I'm looking for a cross-country moving company to move from Chicago to Boston this summer.

Mayflower's rates and service seemed fair but I'd like to hear personal experiences before committing.

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Any find-a-mover website that you find that offers 'reviews' of several movers who have a variation of the same name as large well-respected national carriers should be avoided at all costs. Most of those irresponsible but well optimized lead generation venues are suspicious at best.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration allows consumer to search the complaint records of household goods carriers and move brokers at their Protect Your Move website at https://www.protectyourmove.gov/. Click on the Search box at http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/search.asp

And, like greatblueheron wrote, if you're Moving this summer? Better book early! | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 34,449 times
I used Mayflower for a move from Manhattan to Western KY. They were great! Nothing broken, missing and they were a day early. Nice guys.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,113 times
In my experience, it's not so much the national moving company that matters as the local representative you contract with. I used Mayflower for a recent move and was happy with them, but the local moving company that was their agent in the city from which I moved was unreliable. When I dealt with Mayflower directly, and with their agent in the city to which I moved, I was happy. So I suggest finding out which local company is affiliated with Mayflower in your area, then searching for information on that company.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM

I removed this same rant from my niche industry website because the complainant did not say where they were moving from and to, which carrier agent they contacted, when they were moving, the transit valuation amount they selected, the size of their shipment, etc. etc. etc.

All are details that determine the dissatisfied customer's recourse under their contract.

As upset and inconvenienced as they were by the level of service they received from the company they hired, they have still managed to take the time and gone to the trouble of posting the same non-specific litany of complaints at multiple locations around the web.

You don't throw away a bushel of perfectly good fruit because of one bad apple on the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues