Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,368 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for moving boxes to use when using ABF U-pack. I just used the service to move halfway across the country and almost all of my boxes got smashed from the top. I'm moving the rest of the way across the country in two months and don't want it to happen again!

I was using Uhaul boxes, which I later heard aren't the best - some of them even got crushed before loading the truck, so I'm not completely surprised about the ones I unloaded. Are there any better boxes out there? If not, any tips about packing so as to not crush everything? Obviously heavier on the bottom and all that, but anything more specific? Luckily, I packed everything super well so I don't think too much got damaged...just lots of crushed boxes that I have to repack before the second leg of my trip.

Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
When ever possible use smaller boxes. They tend to not crush as easy as the larger boxes. For dishes I would recommend spending the extra money and buy dishpack boxes. They are quite stout. I also use dishpacks for larger items that need extra protection. If you are buying used dishpacks make sure the vertical inserts and the horizontal panel inserts are included. If bumming used boxes from stores get apple and orange boxes. The larger produce boxes tend to crush. Liquor boxes are usually pretty stout.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
I used liquor boxes for dishes and glassware, books and anything small/heavy. Of course they are free and clean. Numerous boxes from friends and some from past internet purchases. When the guy came to estimate, I asked him to bring 4 wardrobe boxes....was prepared to pay but he gave them free (probably to get the job).

They hold hanging clothes but also plenty of room in the bottom and on top prior to closing them. I used one for lampshades, worked great.

Towards the end, I was exhausted and tired of box-looking, so bought plastic bins w/sturdy lids and can use later for storage.

Good luck~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
When ever possible use smaller boxes. They tend to not crush as easy as the larger boxes. For dishes I would recommend spending the extra money and buy dishpack boxes. They are quite stout. I also use dishpacks for larger items that need extra protection. If you are buying used dishpacks make sure the vertical inserts and the horizontal panel inserts are included. If bumming used boxes from stores get apple and orange boxes. The larger produce boxes tend to crush. Liquor boxes are usually pretty stout.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,793 times
The strength of a box is defined by it construction, not it's price. Most movers stock and sell the most appropriate type of cartons for the type of uses they were designed for.

Jim Burrows reviews the typical moving cartons in this video.

Moving? What size of flute are you using? | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Even a cheap box, properly packed, should not crush easily - even when being subjected to the rigors of rough handling typical on many spring-ride freight trailers like those used by ABF and other general freight common carriers.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
Pack tight, there shouldn't be any jiggle in the box. I wad up packing paper at the bottom and top to fill in any gaps and make sure the corners have plenty to avoid crushing. I use dishpacks too for large odd shaped items like table lamps and vases.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Also make sure the boxes are properly stacked. If you have boxes of all odd shapes they may be resting on the inside of another and not along the edges and any wiggle can cause the boxes to deform and crush. You can stack 20 boxes on top of each other with different weight and packing material and they all stay upright with no problem, but wiggle them as on a move and you'll start seeing edges crushing or sides bowing and thats when things go bad.If you can;t get them all the same size, at least try and get them all the same height so you can put flat board stock between them to spread the forces.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Pack tight, there shouldn't be any jiggle in the box. I wad up packing paper at the bottom and top to fill in any gaps and make sure the corners have plenty to avoid crushing. I use dishpacks too for large odd shaped items like table lamps and vases.
I definitely didn't use enough paper at the beginning of my move since I wasn't considering the up & down motion, those are probably the ones that got crushed...thanks for the advice!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
The strength of a box is defined by it construction, not it's price. Most movers stock and sell the most appropriate type of cartons for the type of uses they were designed for.

Jim Burrows reviews the typical moving cartons in this video.

Moving? What size of flute are you using? | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

Even a cheap box, properly packed, should not crush easily - even when being subjected to the rigors of rough handling typical on many spring-ride freight trailers like those used by ABF and other general freight common carriers.
Any ideas on how to properly pack a large box? I stuffed the empty spaces full of cloth and paper but they still crushed...if I'd done it any more densely, they would have been super heavy. Maybe just put the large boxes on top? Or I could find boxes that fit my individual large objects better, I guess.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
We used a borrowed horse trailer and truck and I wouldn't say it was loaded as well as it could have been. But aside from a small amount of clothes packed for the trip, all the clothes which didn't go on hangers were stuffed in boxes. I packed by weight as well, mixing things over putting them in the same boxes. With books, always pack tight and fill ALL spaces. If at all possible pack them spine upright as its stronger that way. But don't pack so heavy you can't lift the box. Use sheets and towels, too, to pad and fill. And things which are breakable should be packed in well marked boxes. Don't over weigh them either. The plastic tubs are actually very excellent things for large and odd shaped things too. Unpack them first and use them as sorting bins for the boxes, and its cardboard you don't have to figure out how to get rid of.

I also found the closer in size boxes are the best. Smaller is better since you have more sides to support weight.

Good luck. I am SO glad I'm done moving.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
For large heavy items like a kitchenaid mixer, I use the plastic totes. They can take the heavy weight and I don't worry about the edges crushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues