Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM

461 posts, read 1,314,086 times

Advertisements

Why throw away a diploma after so many years of school? You are almost there! Just a few more months. Finish and then disappear. Or, join the Army like Boompa did. Not a bad idea at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
You're free to do whatever the hell you want after your 18th birthday. My suggestion would be to graduate from high school, and enroll yourself in a technical school. Learn a trade. This country is in dire-straights right now, and it's gonna be a while until things turn around. Maybe a long while. The white-collar workforce is overrun with over educated, entitlement minded semi-savants who think that America owes them a living because they've got a bachelor's degree. Meanwhile, the infrastructure of this country is in a state of disrepair and the services of people in the trades are in increasingly high demand. Electricians, general contractors, asphalt contractors (like me), roofers, concrete finishers, etc are in short supply and getting shorter. Learn a trade, and go where the money is. OR follow bad advice, go to college and get a degree, and enjoy being jobless for years because you're competing with 400 people for every entry-level cubicle mole position you apply for.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I would first check your history of luck. Some have it, many don't.

There are those, I've known, I took a deep breath, fastened my seatbelt, as I watched them take the most daring, seemingly foolish, risks in life, and curse the skies! if they didn't land on their 2 feet with a pot of gold!

I've never had that luck factor. Never underestimate the luck factor and luckier, yet, to encounter the right people in life, to embarrass all your risk-averse critics in the end!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-02-2011 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 12-03-2011, 06:58 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanFace View Post
Yes, of course, but my school does not allow people to drop out at 18...so what can they do if an 18 year old stops going?
Your school doesn't WANT you to drop out, but the day you turn 18 you're legally allowed to do it.

That said, the advice given by others here is worth repeating -- FINISH HIGH SCHOOL, then move on with your life.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
If you are "running away" from an abusive, intolerable home situation, or if you are "running away" to be with the "one" you love, or if you just want to join the circus, there would probably be different levels of advice offered here.

If you are trying to escape, and if you have somewhere to go - meaning a safe place to live where you will have the opportunity to enroll in a school so you can finish, then perhaps you should go. At age 18, you have reached your majority and are free to live independently. That being said, you need to have somewhere safe and warm and a way to finish your education.

If you are planning on joining up with someone who professes to "love you", think again. Anyone who really cares about you would make sure you have your education in hand.

If you want to join Ringling Brothers, make sure they have a job for you, enroll in correspondence school, and go for it.

If none of the above, think twice and then a third time before you just leave and get into a situation that will change the rest of your life. Not necessarily for the better.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,890 times
Im 17 from and considering moving to the states as soon as possible...... does the army in america provide free housing and wages like in nz?? and allso do they pay for university after you finish like in nz??

Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keentraveller View Post
Im 17 from and considering moving to the states as soon as possible...... does the army in america provide free housing and wages like in nz?? and allso do they pay for university after you finish like in nz??
You might want to post this in the immigration forum, unless you have a US citizen parent you cant just turn up and join the military.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
You might want to post this in the immigration forum, unless you have a US citizen parent you cant just turn up and join the military.
yes, I think that one has to be a citizen first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues