Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 PM

235 posts, read 837,338 times

Advertisements

It's great that at least you have agencies helping you out. There must be some ways to put pressure on the local government, or whoever makes the decision regarding your age eligibility for the senior's housing?

I'm not sure it would be worth fighting with the landlord to remain there beyond the 60 days, though. If her financial problems are bad enough, and you may not know how bad they truly are... The bank might end up with the house instead of her, and I don't know what your tenant rights would be at that point. There must surely be another short-term option for you? So that you don't end up at the Y? Call every homeowner with an apartment to rent, and beg for a short-term lease. You might get lucky and find a sympathetic landlord who will let you stay for a 6 month lease, or month to month. See if the agencies working with you will contact the landlords on your behalf, or if they will provide you with a reference. Good luck, you've been put in a terrible predicament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Do what you can to fight it. So sorry to hear about your situation. Many (not all) landlords truly are the scum of the earth.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Do what you can to fight it. So sorry to hear about your situation. Many (not all) landlords truly are the scum of the earth.
Are you serious? The tenant was given adequate notice. The landlord is not responsible that the tenant has trouble finding another place. The landlord has financial problems since the death of her husband.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
The tenant was given adequate notice.
Are you serious?

The tenant was given nothing more than the absolute MINIMUM notice required by law.
That doesn't even begin to approach being adequate...
especially for a long term, no problem, elderly, and disabled tenant.

Quote:
The landlord is not responsible that the tenant has trouble finding another place.
The landlord has financial problems since the death of her husband.
These matters (valid and real) are a separate discussion...
and if inclined the LL can start another thread to explore them.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:09 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The tenant was given nothing more than the absolute MINIMUM notice required by law.
That minimum notice, as required by law, was put in place to protect all tenants - disabled or not. So if the landlord follows it, then legally she is fine.

And besides, in the first post, the OP explains that the landlord has now agreed to a 60 days notice - which is twice as long as the minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
These matters (valid and real) are a separate discussion...
and if inclined the LL can start another thread to explore them.
If you're going to give the OP extra points for her story, then you have to do the same for the landlord. Both of them have a sad story. Both of them are having a tough time. Why shouldn't a rational person be able to consider both sides of this story, and come to the conclusion that it's a bad situation for both, but that as long as the landlord is following the law, she has the right to do what she's doing?

To the OP, if I were you I would look into renting a room in someone else's house as a temporary solution. Then wait the four months until you're 62, and you're eligible for senior/disabled housing, which you can afford. There's no need to go to the "Y" or threaten that you'll be homeless - just rent a room temporarily, put your other things in a storage unit, and wait a few months until you're old enough to get into the kind of housing you want.

I also wouldn't bring up the "problems" with your current place - you liked it well enough to put up with those things for years, so bringing them up now, when you're being evicted seems a little silly.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
...in the first post, the OP explains that the landlord has now agreed to a 60 days notice...
I forgot that later comment...
haven't read the OP since the first day.

I'll stand by what I said here and back then...
as a have to ask for it add'l 30 days is still far short of adequate in the circmstances.
(the point being made)

Old 01-19-2012, 05:01 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
If you are on SSDI, you are eligible for low-income housing. Surely, one of the agencies you are working with will help you make the appropriate contacts. You may want to contact the the disability advocate group in your area. Virginia Disability Services Agencies

The catch is that there will likely be a wait. The good news is that those who are homeless, which you will be in short order, generally get special consideration.

Despite it's lack of maintenance, you clearly love your cottage and it will be difficult to say good-by. Here's hoping that you love your next home as much. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,529 times
Thank you all so very much for your intelligent and insightful replies.
I am still on excellent terms with my landlord. I knew that her circumstances are very bad, and I don't want to cause her any more problems.
I applied at every senior/disabled housing complex in my city, and went to scheduled interviews. The ones who won't accept you until you turn 62 are very strict about that rule, unless you're blind, in a wheelchair, or have other serious mobility problems. My disability doesn't severely affect my mobility, so I still have to wait until I'm 62 to be accepted. I have my application in with the others, and still haven't heard back from them.
I also applied for Section 8, and went to an agency here that puts people who are in danger of being imminently homeless on the top of the waiting list for Section 8, and is also connected to a senior/disabled/low-income housing complex here in the city. Still waiting to hear back from them.
Last week, I did, through my synagogue, find a landlord who was willing to rent to me, pending a landlord/criminal background check (which I know I'd pass - I don't owe any landlords money, and I have no criminal record). The rent was low, and the apartment was really nice, although it was in a bad neighborhood. However, I'd have to pay for all utilities, including water and trash, which
would be quite difficult for me. Plus, since I'd never had any utilities in my name in Virginia, I'd have to pay large utility deposits.
I was still willing to do all this and was waiting to hear back from the landlord, when out of the blue, through the "Apartment Wanted" ad I placed on Craigslist, I was contacted by a woman who had a one-bedroom terrace apartment (like a basement apartment, but not a basement, if that makes any sense) she wanted to rent to an older person who wants to stay for a long time. I went to meet her and see the apartment, and it was lovely and met my needs perfectly, financially and otherwise. All utilities are included. The apartment is sparkling clean and beautifully maintained. The neighborhood is great. The landlady is a genuinely nice, honest person. And there is no danger of her losing her home, as she and her husband built it, and she owns it completely, and is extremely well-off.
So I'm moving there on March 1st.
I was VERY VERY lucky - indeed, blessed - to have found this apartment and this landlady.
In the meantime, I have applied for Section 8, and I will turn 62, and if for whatever reason I need to move again in the future, I will definitely have options.
Thanks again to all of you!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
That is truly wonderful news. What a happy ending!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Great news! How fortunate you came across your new living space, will prevent having to store anything. I hope you can stay there a long time, I think you've found your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues