Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

We had 2 homes at one point and I was younger, but it was a giant hassle. And, for a place to be "home," you have to settle in and put down roots. I think you could do it, but it will get real old real fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM

103 posts, read 381,333 times
Actually, burgler09, that is a tired old stereotype of homeschoolers. They are statistically far beyond their peers academically, and really, what is a more valuable social experience: getting to be out in the world, meeting a wide variety of people, engaging in hands on experiences, and learning how the world actually works or sitting in a desk and staring at the back of some kids head for seven hours a day? Come on, we can do better by our kids! They deserve better than being warehoused (and that is precisely what many public schools are these days).

And why exactly wouldn't they be able to meet kids? We don't plan on locking them in the basement. Whether or not we decide to attempt the bi-coastal life, I have to say, you should really do a little research on how incredibly advanced and well-rounded homeschooled kids are.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM

103 posts, read 381,333 times
thanks, Phoenixlady. It's something we'd think about a long time before actually attempting. The kids are the top priority.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 AM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times
With kids? Homeschooled or not...NUTS!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I basically did this when my husband was deployed, we kept our home on base, but I went to live with my parents in Vegas. My kids were little, and my parents had all the "baby" paraphenilia, strollers, pack n play, high chairs, car seats, so I did not have to haul that junk around. When my husband came home, we went back, when he was deployed again, I went home. This went on for several years, no problems for me. But, I decided to get a job, and that pretty much ended the vacations with Grandma. But, it worked for me, because I did not have an extra house, I just stayed with my parents, who had a car for me, and everything else.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,240 times
My parents did this to my brother and I from the ages of 12-15. My dad was in the processing of selling his company and retiring. We would split the year from the burbs of Chicago to redneck Punta Gorda, FL. It was extremely unsettling for my brother and I. We'd go from affluent Chicago schools to backward redneck hillbilly schools in Punta Gorda. I resent all of the moving my father inflicted upon our family. I'd pick one for the sanity of your children.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Let's get real and add one more thing to the mix. Is your house in CA paid off? Is your husband making huge bucks or have you won the lottery? If not, you're not likely to qualify for the mortgage on that second house in Florida. (and don't imagine that the rent you MIGHT collect will be considered as income to qualify. And don't imagine those renters will take care of your place the way you do.)

If your house is desirable, you might be able to arrange a long term home exchange with someone in Florida. We did that for three months last winter and really got a good idea of what it was like to live there without the permanence your husband fears. especially if you are willing to go to Florida off season. Lots of folks want outta there in the summers.

But, not to be rude, it does sorta sound like a little marriage counseling might help more than trying to do what you propose.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Not all home school children turn out well with their studies. It depends on how good the parents are in teaching.

We have the situation in our family now. Two children that are of the middle school age. They are terrilbly behind in math. Why? Because neither parent seem to be able to teach them the basics.

Will they need math in life? Will they need to balance a check book, make a budget, get a job? Who knows what the future holds for them.

So what!! they were home-schooled so it makes it alright.

Not all families that take this route are able to afford trips etc. to broaden the knowledge that the children need. At least in a school setting, they get to go on field trips, meet others from vastly different walks of life, and best of all, they learn to deal with people that are not nice.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 PM

162 posts, read 305,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1 View Post
Actually, burgler09, that is a tired old stereotype of homeschoolers. They are statistically far beyond their peers academically, and really, what is a more valuable social experience: getting to be out in the world, meeting a wide variety of people, engaging in hands on experiences, and learning how the world actually works or sitting in a desk and staring at the back of some kids head for seven hours a day? Come on, we can do better by our kids! They deserve better than being warehoused (and that is precisely what many public schools are these days).

And why exactly wouldn't they be able to meet kids? We don't plan on locking them in the basement. Whether or not we decide to attempt the bi-coastal life, I have to say, you should really do a little research on how incredibly advanced and well-rounded homeschooled kids are.
At the risk of turning this into a pro/against homeschooling debate, I say, if you can manage it financially then go for it. If you are home schooling you can go anywhere, especially if your kids are the adventurous type. They can learn so much from traveling - and if you're no good at math or science then they can have tutoring. I home schooled my daughter last year because she hated her teacher and would cry every morning before school. H.S. was so hard (and expensive and I think that any parent who does it is amazing!) But when she was evaluated she tested many grades ahead in all her subjects. Thankfully this year her teacher is wonderful and kind and I am spared! But I would do it again if I had to.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Regarding two homes, I had that wish/hope for many yearss. Buy something small and cheap where I live/work, buy something small/cheap where I want to spend time, figure out a way to get outta town (for me, it would be leaving New England in the summer- cannot stand summers here). Twice, I bought property in my favorite town in Colorado- first time, a modest house, second time, a lot right across that street. Sold both. I could not get reasonable property management for the house ( a seven-year owner's loan!) and after the first three good years, the "property manager" wasn't getting deposits, checking the house, nothing. At one point, there were squatters up there. The HOA was calling me about my tenants' terrible behavior- fires outside, speeding, cussing out, etc. I was lucky that the realtor who got me into this got me out-the lousy tenants had done thousands of dollars of damage, but just then a couple retiring from a dairy farm in PA walked in and said they wanted the cheapest house in the area, from which to direct the building of their dream house on 40 acres in the area- paying cash. "whew"
I also bought a lot during a humid phase where I live, thought I'd see the little 400sq.ft. house I could put on it, and found that the state considered that house "an RV." Huh? To me, an RV is a motorhome, engine, tires, etc. But no.
Then I realized I really loved some house plans and wanted to see those little houses built and be in one. Not exactly pragmatic.
The faucet in my cottage where I live broke, and I had a revelation "I don't want TWO of these!" Two fences, two landscapings, two water systems, two two two. I sold the lot and was lucky to sell it at peak price, and two very nice people who were from the area bought it and built a stunning little house.
A friend has always tried to have two houses, winters in Florida. She has only, at age 64, managed in the last two years to spend the winters in Florida, and is going to have trouble financially ever doing it again. She has the advantage of family in that area to watch over the house, but that is ending soon, as the family is spending half their year elsewhere! More landscaping, a/c, appliances, all the stuff of a house times two.
After wrestling with this seemingly forever, I think I've come up to loving house where I live/work, accepting that this area seems to suit me best for day-to-day, especially as I get older, and hoping maybe to try living in one of those small Western towns as a retirement experiment, but not closing up life here. (I've continually seen a room with a view in the town I love, mini-kitchen and private entrance and bath, month-to-month rent of $450. Now *that* sounds like a plan. (What about a car, what about dogs?)
I've decided that the "complication factor" is big for me and I don't want complications unless they really pay off.
My two-house live in two places story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues