Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find this post useful?
yes 111 93.28%
no 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times

Advertisements

These are some great tips!

I'll just add:

1) If you can afford it (or pay some younger relatives pizza), have someone else clean your place (or at least run a broom/sweeper through it when you take out the last of the stuff.

2) When you get to the new place, set the bed up first and make it before doing anything else.

3) A "transition box" is a good thing to have. Keep it where you can find it. Some potential items:

- TP / hand sanitizer
- Paper Towels
- First Aid Kit (or several band aids, at least)
- Several basic tools (hammer, screw drivers, pliers, box cutter, duct tape)
- Light bulbs
- Flash light
- Pain killers (Advil, whatever)
- Pen/pencil & paper (note pad)
- Map of new area (if needed)
- Paper plates, paper cups, plastic silverware
- bottle opener / can opener
- Jar of tea/instant coffee
- Matches
- Box of snack bars / fruit bars / something to munch

These are the "have to have NOW" things that have stopped several of my moves. Your needs may differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Spend $50 on a 2 wheel dolly. It's always worth it as the dolly can do 2-3 times more work than a single person with much less effort. Not only can you use it during moving time but also around the house for various things.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,658 times
LOVE LOVE LOVE the transition box!!!
Ditto the necessity of a dolly, too!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 PM

Chilled cases of bottled water for you and movers becasue glasses will be packed and not everyone want to put their head under the faucet or on the hose

Which reminds me unless leaving as a courtesy remember to take your hose and removable yard lights, probably will just leave mine and get a new set

Install track lights and motion lights on new property before move in in case you get stuck still unloading in the dark

Back up plan for rainy day

Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
I would add to this list: get or make at least two four wheeled "dollies" made in a rectangle with wood and heavy duty caster wheels. some people put old carpeting around each two by two to "pad" the surface. My sons found these amazingly useful when moving me and others. You can also rent them at moving truck rental places, but better to have your own. PS They fit large rubbermaid containers stacked up with ease. Sometimes regular hand trucks are too awkward to use with wider items.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Bubble wrap then peanut pack fine breakable (lamps, glass framed prints, pieces of art etc...) for added protection

Use fiber based packing tape with weather libel adhesive especially for long hauls thru temp extremes and/or short term storage

Add 2 box cutters to your transition box

Print local pizza coupon or store to phone for post move snack

Identify Chinese to go spot, preferably delivery for 2 night post move dinner

Lysol wipes in transition box for toilet wipe down or have entire house cleaned and disinfected before move truck arrives

Have realtor or neighbor connect fridge and turn on CHA a day before arrival

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Hey just noticed my thread got merged... will have to catch up and the previous 4 pages.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 14,605 times
Thank you to all the contributors for these great tips! We're readying a move from the Badger to the Buckeye state and we found this heartening.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
If you're moving yourself:

One thing I also try to suggest is driving at night if it's possible. In my experience, driving a truck like that with the trailer attached is easier at night because you have blind spots. At night, you have the headlights of the vehicles behind you to see if there is a vehicle in your blind spot much easier. You should also get better mileage at night due to the cooler temperatures. There is also less traffic at night.

Of course, there are cons to driving at night as well including reduced visibility, less help around if you need it (vehicle breakdown, medical, etc...) and nocturnal animals being out as well as the human type of predators.

I would also suggest staying on the interstates when possible, even if you go a little out of your way. You usually maintain cell phone coverage on the interstates, they're well traveled and services are usually available at decent intervals. A paper map in the vehicle is also a good idea. A GPS will calculate the quickest route but they sometimes take you off the interstate or state highways.

I do not suggest using your phone for GPS. Use the phone as a phone and not as a dedicated GPS, that's what the GPS is for.

Also keep cash in the vehicle for small expenses such as tolls.

Always keep your personal documents with you such as your SS card, birth certificate, etc... In fact, I would make digital scans of all important documents and save them on removable media such as an external hard drive or CD/DVD. In fact, do it for 2 different forms of removable media.

Be careful about transporting food and plants. CA is the only state I know that will ask and check for those items when you're coming from out of state. Also be cognizant if you're traveling through various states of their firearms laws if you're transporting firearms. Certain firearms and/or accessories legal in one state may not be legal in another.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
Make sure your cellphone charger works in your rental vehicle; I needed an adaptor for my iPhone 5.
This is important if your rental truck doesn't provide GPS and you have to use your phone.

I agree with the above suggestion about driving at night, and staying on Interstates.
Set the alarm if you pull into a rest stop to rest your eyes for a few minutes; suddenly a few hours vanished, the sun came up, but I was well rested and hungry for breakfast.

If you have a rental truck towing you car, you might wish to avoid having to back up if you aren't used to tow vehicles. So plan your gas and meal stops at more rural truck stops instead of urban jungles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues