Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:39 PM

231 posts, read 713,066 times

Advertisements

I have moved from one state to another, but most of my possessions are still back home.
I've been racking my brain about how best to move them to my new location.

Basically, how would you suggest doing this?
Easiest option seems to be to hire movers to load truck, transport and unload ($$$$$).
Can anyone think of cheaper options? If I rent a truck one-way from old home to new, then I need to find a way to get back there cheaply. Greyhound is more than $100 one-way, as is flying or train, and then I'd still need to find a way to get around town when I reach there (to pick up moving truck, etc.). Megabus goes within only 90 miles of my destination.
I don't have anyone that can drive my car for me if I drive there and then drive truck back.

I feel as though there's a simple solution that I'm missing.

To make matters even more difficult, I have 2 cats that I might like to bring with me on the return trip. Worst case, I can schedule a separate car trip for that, though.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
I have moved from one state to another, but most of my possessions are still back home. I've been racking my brain about how best to move them to my new location.

Basically, how would you suggest doing this?
Easiest option seems to be to hire movers to load truck, transport and unload ($$$$$).
Can anyone think of cheaper options? If I rent a truck one-way from old home to new, then I need to find a way to get back there cheaply. Greyhound is more than $100 one-way, as is flying or train, and then I'd still need to find a way to get around town when I reach there (to pick up moving truck, etc.). Megabus goes within only 90 miles of my destination.
I don't have anyone that can drive my car for me if I drive there and then drive truck back.

I feel as though there's a simple solution that I'm missing.

To make matters even more difficult, I have 2 cats that I might like to bring with me on the return trip. Worst case, I can schedule a separate car trip for that, though.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Why are you removed, by hundreds/thousands of miles, from your possessions? How many possessions are we talking about, and what is their worth? If you can't afford a $100 Greyhound ticket back, you can't afford to rent a truck to move your possessions. The smallest U-Haul Truck is going to cost you $29.99 per day, plus 85 cents per mile, plus gas. You'll have to add insurance & other expenses to that.

You mention your cats... That comment leads me to believe that you are your own worst obstacle. There are not going to be any easy & cheap solutions to your problem. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, do the hard thing, and get it done.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 PM

It's most of my possessions. I did not have time before accepting a new job to move everything. Furniture, electronics, etc. Total value, perhaps $60k. The "Why?" is, of course, irrelevant to the question.
I'd recommend some remedial reading classes, by the way, before making such an effort to be condescending.
I didn't say that I can't afford Greyhound. I stated that I'm evaluating options. If that's the cheapest option, then that's what I'll do, but having never made such a move nor known anyone who has, I came here seeking advice from those with experience or knowledge.

And your final few sentences make absolutely no sense, in or out of context. So, again: RocketReader - remedial reading program turning slow readers into fast readers

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
It's most of my possessions. I did not have time before accepting a new job to move everything. Furniture, electronics, etc. Total value, perhaps $60k. The "Why?" is, of course, irrelevant to the question.
I'd recommend some remedial reading classes, by the way, before making such an effort to be condescending.
I didn't say that I can't afford Greyhound. I stated that I'm evaluating options. If that's the cheapest option, then that's what I'll do, but having never made such a move nor known anyone who has, I came here seeking advice from those with experience or knowledge.

And your final few sentences make absolutely no sense, in or out of context. So, again: RocketReader - remedial reading program turning slow readers into fast readers

Thanks.
MOD CUT Personal Attack
I've moved multiple times, and never needed anybody to hold my hand and help me figure out how to do it. Hire somebody to move your junk, and stop whining about it on a discussion forum.

Last edited by jasper12; 06-29-2012 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: TOS

Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM

MOD CUT
Moving on...
Are there any options I haven't considered here? Anyone have experience doing this, or know someone who has?
So far, it looks as though my options are to spend roughly $1500 for the most convenient choice (hiring movers) or $600 for the less convenient path of doing the moving myself.

Last edited by jasper12; 06-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: edit TOS

Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Moving is stressful. I read once it scores pretty high on stressful life events. I suggest thinking about your "stuff"...is it really needed? Worth the stress and expense of moving it all? I packed personal items in boxes and shipped them UPS. Just drive there, pack your stuff. Have UPS pick it up, take the rest to Goodwill. Believe in the universe, what you give away comes back to you. Positive energy.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Moving is stressful. I read once it scores pretty high on stressful life events. I suggest thinking about your "stuff"...is it really needed? Worth the stress and expense of moving it all? I packed personal items in boxes and shipped them UPS. Just drive there, pack your stuff. Have UPS pick it up, take the rest to Goodwill. Believe in the universe, what you give away comes back to you. Positive energy.
Be careful offering any logical, reasonable advice - and be REALLY careful about asking any questions. The OP is apt to rip into you about being a jerk.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I don't find it stressful at all. Just want to spend as little money as possible. Of course it's worth the effort of moving everything. If I were to sell my furniture, then I'd need to buy it all over again. Does that make sense?

I welcome all sensible and helpful responses.
MOD CUT,

Last edited by jasper12; 06-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: TOS, personal attack.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I don't find it stressful at all. Just want to spend as little money as possible. Of course it's worth the effort of moving everything. If I were to sell my furniture, then I'd need to buy it all over again. Does that make sense?

I welcome all sensible and helpful responses, but discourage asinine remarks by corpulent, "semi-retired" buffoons nearing the end of their diabetes-marred lives, who feel the need to compensate for their extreme shortcomings by ranting about younger, healthier people on internet forums. But hey, it's a free country, so if that's how you want to be remembered...
...says the guy who can't afford to move his crap across the country.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Her is my suggestion:

Rent an suv/small moving van and fit whatever you can in it, including the cats. Then get some larger boxes (like 30" x 35") and pack whatever you can/want into them, but not totaling over $500 in shipping cost via UPS.

The rest of the stuff, give three days to sell it on Craigslist, then donate/junk the rest. Every one always overestimates how much their stuff is worth (I have seen people pay more to move an IKEA table than it even cost to buy new), unless it is some special items, the stuff is not worth the cost to move it.

How you get there.......reserve a moving van for a one way moving trip. From where you are now, or a location where a bus drops you, rent a one way car rental to go where the moving van is. You may have a brief problem of a distance between the two, but I have done something similar and the rental car place always has given me a short ride. If this is not possible, find a number of a cab company in advance so you are not at a lost when are ready to go from the rental center to the moving van.

Depending where you are, you may need to adjust this plan a little, so for example, go to a larger town for the moving van and rental drop off instead of a place where a moving van would be closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues