Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM

506 posts, read 958,702 times

Advertisements

I love moving, but hate packing! It's an exciting time but with all the accumulated junk, I never know where to start. What do you guys pack first them moving and why? Do you pack up your bedroom stuff, kitchenware, bathroom stuff, etc.?

I got to say, that packing helps get rid of stuff we don't need anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
1. Clean the house.
2. Start with the closets, I did one each weekend. I also did the cabinets in the kitchen, the lower ones.
3. Garage, and kids toys, go thru stuff.

People say if you have not used it in a year, get rid of it...I don't agree with that...but I have reduced things down to four boxes of things I just don't want to part with...

Last edited by jasper12; 06-28-2012 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
First thing is to dump all that you do not need via garage sales and donations. Then start packing items you are not using. Things like mirrors and breakables can be packed or readied for moving. Bedroom sets can be dismantled and still be used for sleeping. Pack electronics as your move approaches accordingly. Get your moving boxes and supplies. Kitchen items can be packed and use plastic utensils and paper plates. The closer to the move you can switch to using mainly the microwave to heat rather than cook.

Start early, pack a little each day, label boxes clearly, and plan.

Moving is kind of like going on vacation in reverse. You want to pack everything away that you are not taking on vacation.
Clear?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
For some reason one of the first things I usually packed was books. Chances are I won't be reading any of the books on my shelves in the weeks before a move, so they can be packed away.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,715 times
I have a large handgun collection so I start there.
It takes quite awhile to pack them correctly in their cases.

I then move on to ammunition and with a supply in excess of 50,000 rounds it takes a rather long time to sort and pack accordingly.

After moving all this across the country in 2009 I really don't want to do that again. LOL!!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM

506 posts, read 958,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I have a large handgun collection so I start there.
It takes quite awhile to pack them correctly in their cases.

I then move on to ammunition and with a supply in excess of 50,000 rounds it takes a rather long time to sort and pack accordingly.

After moving all this across the country in 2009 I really don't want to do that again. LOL!!
A handgun collection...that sounds a bit...well much. I'm sure after your move you got it down to an art.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM

244 posts, read 667,777 times
I start with the things that I won't be using again before I move. Such as clothing for next season, books, movies.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
When I recently moved, I packed the stuff that I was least likely to need further use out of first. That included collectibles, CDs, DVDs, good dishes, out of season clothes.

The last things that were packed were higher value things that were fragile, awkard to pack, and ended up transported by car, and the perishables.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
People say if you have not used it in a year, get rid of it...I don't agree with that...but I have reduced things down to four boxes of things I just don't want to part with...
I dont know, what counts as "used"? I have a large number of toys and collectibles that have no other purpose than to be displayed. I also have a box of old toys from my childhood I carry around to pass on to my kids whenever I might have them.

I think there are valid reasons for saving things that arent neccessarily "useful" at that point in time.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Of course, you can be like me, when I have to move...I get overwhelmed by the whole project, duck my head under a blanket, and mope. Procrastinate completely, blow it off, avoid it, to the very last weekend, and then go crazy packing stuff, and getting rid of stuff, that could have easily been done in two months...I then reduce that entire project to twelve hours...of non stop stress. It works, but I don't recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues