Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times

Advertisements

I'd take the new job without a doubt. What's really keeping you in DC? A few close friends? You'll still be friends after you move. 3 hours isn't far at all and with technology these days it'll be easy to stay in touch. If you get laid off from your job you will be kicking yourself you didn't take this opportunity. Go home, pay off that credit card debt, and save some money! If after that you're unhappy with your living situation you can pursue a new city and a new job then. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I would definitely take the new job and move....really what do you have to lose, and alot to gain at this point in your life. I would recommend getting a dog (or cat), they work wonders for depression too.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
I hope you took some of the thoughts here seriously - and took the job. Your depression is keeping you hostage at this point - get on meds and make the move.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Hello - I agree with the posters! I would take the new job and move back home. By all means, connect with a new Dr and make sure sure Meds are right, when you get back to New Jersey. I would also re-connect with some of your high school friends. Don't worry about the weight - people always look different 13 years after they graduated from high school! A friend will accept you for who you are. Facebook helps people re-connect. And as for meeting a guy - do not rule out the internet - I know of a now-married couple who met via the internet, they actually lived within the same square mile and had attended the same [large] college. Yet they never would have met if one had not placed an ad and the other anwsered....

Please post and let us know what you decided! We care!

Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 43,331 times
Hello all - sorry for the delay in responding to many of you. Just wanted to send a big thank-you to those of you that read my post and responded, I really appreciate your thoughts.

There've been some twists and turns that have transpired since my original post, thought I'd update y'all...

1) My step-mom (and mostly my brother) weren't thrilled on the idea of me living with them for as long as a year, which I understand...they're particular about their space. So that option was nixed, and I would just live in my own apartment, which is probably just as well. So even though I wouldn't be saving money like I thought - my salary is still more than I'm making now, so that's still a positive, and would just be slower-moving in getting my debt down.

2) The NJ job was delayed to January anyway, which has given me more time to think the situation over. I spent a few weekends up there to get a feel for the area, the region(s) I'd be working/serving, where I might want to live... and I was also able to meet with the woman I'd be working side-by-side with.

3) My current job situation: it appears that I'm "on the fence" of being let go...versus definitely being let go. (Essentially, they're now "giving me a chance" to prove myself with more responsibilitiy...however the level of responsibility they're giving me, isn't very ethical. My coworkers all feel they're setting me up for failure, which I agree... so I'm still in the same situation of needing to get out anyway.)

4) Went to see a psychiatrist to try the medication route, but they seemed to make me feel much worse, so I went off them. Trying to treat the depression and anxiety holistically for now and also seeing a counselor who specializes in anxiety/depression AND career issues. (Very excited about finding her!)

So anywho... having the extra time to research everything has helped in some ways. (But having it all drag on this long has made it worse in other ways!) In learning more about the job, can't say I'm very excited about it.. and still unsure if it's the right fit for me. In exploring where I want to live, I didn't really find anywhere that I loved or could picture myself... that could also be the depression. Also on the fence with the person I'd be working side-by-side with... in getting to know her, seems like she could be very difficult/demanding. So those are all the cons.. but then again, these are all work-related issues many deal with.

I do have another option in the midst - my friend in the DC area owns a large house with extra rooms and has offered (begged) me to come live with her if I do get laid off... or if I just switch jobs and stay in the DC area. I'd still pay her rent, of course, but it would be a fraction of what I'm paying living on my own.

So... still trying to sort this out, with my therapist's help. I'll have a direction soon as the other company will need an answer shortly. I'll keep you all updated on what I decide. Thank you again for your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues