Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,899 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'm moving from Austin to Plano. A couple of moves ago, we did a relo through DH's work which was paid for the company. A big moving company (Mayflower?) packed and moved us and I unpacked. Loved it, but since we didn't pay for it, we don't have the cost breakdown.

We have a 3300 sq ft house - probably about the same amount of stuff as most people. Anyone know what the packers cost in general? Just looking for rough estimates at the moment, so anyone with experience please chime in.

I'm pretty cheap but I also hate to pack. It's a couple of months til the actual move, so I have a little time to contemplate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,815 times
I had someone from a Mayflower company out yesterday. We have a 3 bedroom 2600 sq. ft. house, with what I consider to be an average amount of stuff. We will be moving from CA to CT. The estimate, including packing, materials like boxes and the actual move itself, was $14,000. If I pack it all myself, I save $3,000. Hope this helps!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Suggest looking through the yellow pages & giving moving companies a call. A lot hire out packers.

We are moving long distance in 3 weeks. We are packing the boxes but having guys come in to load our furniture & boxes on the truck.

It is going to cost us $90/hr for 2 men with a 4 hr minimum.

I know it does cost a lot to have them also pack your boxes.

(Our last move was also paid for & the movers did everything...what a treat!!)

Just call around & then research the company on the BBB to make sure they are legit & do not have complaints, etc.

There is a company called UPack ABF. They will drop off the truck, drive the truck & then drop it off at your new location. You are required to pack the boxes & get them on the truck. You can get a quote on their website. Gas, taxes & tolls are paid for through ABF. Quotes are VERY reasonable & I've heard nothing but good from people who have used them (example: we are moving from SW FL to NE OH & the charge with ABF will be $2000. Add on packers on each side: $720. We estimate about $3000 for that part of the move)

Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Suggest looking through the yellow pages & giving moving companies a call. A lot hire out packers.

We are moving long distance in 3 weeks. We are packing the boxes but having guys come in to load our furniture & boxes on the truck.

It is going to cost us $90/hr for 2 men with a 4 hr minimum.

I know it does cost a lot to have them also pack your boxes.

(Our last move was also paid for & the movers did everything...what a treat!!)

Just call around & then research the company on the BBB to make sure they are legit & do not have complaints, etc.

There is a company called UPack ABF. They will drop off the truck, drive the truck & then drop it off at your new location. You are required to pack the boxes & get them on the truck. You can get a quote on their website. Gas, taxes & tolls are paid for through ABF. Quotes are VERY reasonable & I've heard nothing but good from people who have used them (example: we are moving from SW FL to NE OH & the charge with ABF will be $2000. Add on packers on each side: $720. We estimate about $3000 for that part of the move)
ABF also links to a service from their website that you can hire to pack and unpack.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM

415 posts, read 2,334,539 times
I work for a major mover, I would guess packing for a 3300 sq ft house would run in the 3500.00 to 4000.00 range

Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
when I moved I just put the boxes in each room, and did a room at a time. I had the movers pack the real delicate stuff. I also got the hanging box for what I had in the closet.

they also told me what was in the dresser could just stay that way. I was on a budget so had to do this for myself. you can pack some yourself and have them do some to cut down on the cost.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,899 times
maggiekate,

I think that's what we'll do. We have a one really heavy item that requires about 3 big guys to move it and several other strange sized art sculptures and patio table glass, etc that would be nice to have professional help with, but for the cost I think we'll probably pack mostly ourselves. Sigh.
Thanks everyone!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues