Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times

Advertisements

I did pretty much the same thing for a move across town! I bought all my "new" stuff second hand though so it was even cheaper. The layout was very different in the new place and it worked out well to replace our furniture.

I say go for it. We only brought the sentimental stuff and 'special' clothing, sold the old stuff on Craigslist, bought replacement stuff via Craigslist and thrift stores, easier than moving it all and it was nice to have a change in decor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I would sell everything and move in the easiest way possible. I wouldn't replace anything unti you know exactly where you are living in your new location. Good luck on your move.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,261 times
Replacing my queen mattress with one of comparable quality would cost me $600-800. Sleep is important.

My lazy boy queen sleeper sofa cost about 4 grand in the late 1990s when I bought it.

I probably have 100 household items (broom, mop, dustmop, waste baskets, on and on and on that cost under $10. If they cost on average $7, I need $700 to replace them all. Just having to replace all of my cleaning and laundry products would easily mount to $100.00.

This stuff adds up.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Yes. It does add up. But when you have an opportunity for a better career move and possible increased salary of 30k, and you dismiss the career opportunity because you cant afford to move your "stuff", it does not make sense. I moved for a job that was similar in pay to a job, but I knew it would increase, and it has. Best career decision and long term financial security move I ever made....look at the big picture.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
Replacing my queen mattress with one of comparable quality would cost me $600-800.
How old is that mattress? How soon would you be replacing it if you didn't move?

Quote:
My lazy boy queen sleeper sofa cost about 4 grand in the late 1990s...
Call that 1997-98... it's now 15 years old. How soon would you be replacing it if you didn't move?

Quote:
I probably have 100 household items (broom, mop, dustmop, waste baskets...
How many of these things won't fit into a box?

Whether it will fit into a box or not... is the fulcrum for making the decisions.

If the ONLY items you have that can't be sent in a box are of low value to you...
(do try to be fair as regards their objective residual/depreciated value) then you don't
have a need for a truck or a pod or even a trailer -unless you have a ginormous pile of boxes.

Done objectively... most will get down to that one big item (maybe the mattress) that for $600
(plus the cost of UPS for 20 boxes) pushes the decision into hiring a mover or renting a truck...
and in nearly every instance for far more overall cost. As they say: "do the math"

Last edited by MrRational; 01-26-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
I found that I could have bought a couch (same with a table and chairs) brand new for a tenth the price the expensive clothes I gave away and replaced cost. Couches take up a lot of room where other things could go and are relatively inexpensive. Now, a mattress is another story as they cost a lot.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I found that I could have bought a couch (same with a table and chairs) brand new for a tenth the price the expensive clothes I gave away and replaced cost. Couches take up a lot of room where other things could go and are relatively inexpensive. Now, a mattress is another story as they cost a lot.
Not everyone replaces a couch that they've had for a while. And an expensive mattress that cost 7k probably costs much more now. And a comfortable recliner with all the stops won't be cheap to replace either. That is why I said CHECK PRICES *Where* you are moving before you decide. If you are more likely looking for cheap repalcements, check to see how that is. There are state fourms. Ask. People who live in the area can tell you.

If I had a bookshelf that wasn't attached to the wall and was wood, I'd take it with me, especially if its made for heavy books. I priced new ones and ended up building my own, built into the wall. But the 'cheaper' stuff still isn't cheap when its pressed wood and when you read the fine print it holds twenty pounds. Not much if you have hardback books. Some places yard sales and thrift and consignment shops are everywhere. Some places they are few. You can't rely on that good 'find' again.

I for some reason didn't bring my old ratty thermals. I really regretted it a few monts later. Most of my clothes went in as packing and only a few were packed in an old suitcase. But if something is easy to stuff somewhere in a box and you like it, why not use it for that?

One thing to wait to buy are winter things, since where you move to it may be too little. Generally an area will carry winter apparel which matches the weather.

And things like a well made Lazy boy last a LONG time. If its comfortable and functional, then it probably WILL cost more to replace it. The used rocker/recliner I bought is older than the posters chair and will be fine for more years. I'd rather bring the stuff which would cost more to replace and NOT have a cash outlay once you get there since you never know what you might need that for aside from furnature. Always assume you will need it and you'll be okay IF you do.

One way to make it cheaper is to pack right and not waste space when the truck is filled.

When you pack your truck, have someone around who knows how to do it properly and get every inch of the space used. Pack small things in small boxes that fit inside shelves so that isn't waste space. Anything stacked should be in sturdy boxes which are the same size so they'll be stable. Do buy moving boxes (often found as used) over miscelanous ones.

You can take soft things and put them in plastic bags, not big ones, to fill in gaps or under things with legs. Sheets and towels can go this way. Allow enough time to fill the truck, so you can put the shelf in and the boxes that fit and not be rushed. Label things with a letter. Keep a LIST of content by letter but don't clue in your helpers to what's in so they don't get distracted and help themself.

In essense, before you sell off the things which look too big or bulky, do your homework and learn how to effectively pack and life will be MUCH simpler when you get there.

And keep a box near the end of the truck with essensials so you can open it, ignore the mess and make some food and make up the beds and take a shower. The last thing you want to do upon arrival is shop or unpack. Its sleep, and rest.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
If your boxes are 90% all the same size, that saves room on the truck and print out in a large black font in, put clear tape over the letters as to what items are in the box (don't rely on packers to write on boxes), and everything will be easier to see as it comes off the truck and saves room, more orderly also as they come into the house. Have the kitchen and bathrooms packed the day before the move, that way you can function very nicely up to the last minute. Well worth the price of professional packers for those rooms only.

If you are lucky enough to have a corporate or military move, take a glass of lemonade and go sit on the lawn or have coffee with your neighbor. Then have professional cleaners come in and clean and polish the place, and wave toot-a-loo.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Not everyone replaces a couch that they've had for a while. And an expensive mattress that cost 7k probably costs much more now. And a comfortable recliner with all the stops won't be cheap to replace either. That is why I said CHECK PRICES *Where* you are moving before you decide. If you are more likely looking for cheap repalcements, check to see how that is. There are state fourms. Ask. People who live in the area can tell you.

If I had a bookshelf that wasn't attached to the wall and was wood, I'd take it with me, especially if its made for heavy books. I priced new ones and ended up building my own, built into the wall. But the 'cheaper' stuff still isn't cheap when its pressed wood and when you read the fine print it holds twenty pounds. Not much if you have hardback books. Some places yard sales and thrift and consignment shops are everywhere. Some places they are few. You can't rely on that good 'find' again.

I for some reason didn't bring my old ratty thermals. I really regretted it a few monts later. Most of my clothes went in as packing and only a few were packed in an old suitcase. But if something is easy to stuff somewhere in a box and you like it, why not use it for that?

One thing to wait to buy are winter things, since where you move to it may be too little. Generally an area will carry winter apparel which matches the weather.

And things like a well made Lazy boy last a LONG time. If its comfortable and functional, then it probably WILL cost more to replace it. The used rocker/recliner I bought is older than the posters chair and will be fine for more years. I'd rather bring the stuff which would cost more to replace and NOT have a cash outlay once you get there since you never know what you might need that for aside from furnature. Always assume you will need it and you'll be okay IF you do.

One way to make it cheaper is to pack right and not waste space when the truck is filled.

When you pack your truck, have someone around who knows how to do it properly and get every inch of the space used. Pack small things in small boxes that fit inside shelves so that isn't waste space. Anything stacked should be in sturdy boxes which are the same size so they'll be stable. Do buy moving boxes (often found as used) over miscelanous ones.

You can take soft things and put them in plastic bags, not big ones, to fill in gaps or under things with legs. Sheets and towels can go this way. Allow enough time to fill the truck, so you can put the shelf in and the boxes that fit and not be rushed. Label things with a letter. Keep a LIST of content by letter but don't clue in your helpers to what's in so they don't get distracted and help themself.

In essense, before you sell off the things which look too big or bulky, do your homework and learn how to effectively pack and life will be MUCH simpler when you get there.

And keep a box near the end of the truck with essensials so you can open it, ignore the mess and make some food and make up the beds and take a shower. The last thing you want to do upon arrival is shop or unpack. Its sleep, and rest.
Great advice!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
I have moved six times in the past 10 years (in-town moves). I only have three items of furniture that have been with me from the beginning. One is a shelf unit that is a solid wood stair-step thing (like cubbies). I bought it at a yard sale when my boys were little and used it for toy storage. The seller had made it by hand. Now it is in my living room being used for books (and a cat-condo) and it's been painted four different times for use in different rooms. That sucker is heavy too. It's unique and multi-functional and would not be easy to replace at all.

Next is my Grandmother's antique desk that she bought at some auction in Virginia in the 70's, and it dates from the 1700's and I am the "keeper" of the desk. The other is my GG Aunt's antique cedar chest, so that's obvious.

Everything else has been easy to replace, sell, replace again, repeat. My current furniture includes a leather lazy-boy recliner I picked up for free on Craigslist, a green velvet overstuffed sofa that was $60 at a thrift store, an antique velvet rocker armchair that was $30 at an antique shop, an antique wrought iron daybed that was $120, a fold out "sleeper chair" for when we have guests stay over ($40 Craigslist), and Ikea loft beds for the kids, all found on Craigslist and not one more than $75. Just yesterday I replaced my falling-apart desk chair (that someone had given to me) with a fancy ergonomic one at Goodwill for $20.

And all of it was paid for with stuff I sold from the last place we lived. None of it is falling apart or poor quality. So, it can certainly be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues